• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ZUMO Tech Question?

Theo,

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned I previously checked the data card. No joy. I also looked at every FAQ on the Garmin site with no joy there either. Oh well, maybe it is just an 'electronic ghosty'.

Deleting Stuff on Garmin - Follow Up

I could not let my 'ghosty' go. I just went back through the Garmin FAQs and found exactly what I needed buried in the 312 assorted line items. I guess the title of the FAQ threw me off on previous searches since an imported route is one that has been taken form My Data and is available as a Custom Route. I also see the date of the FAQ is 01/09/2011 so it may not have existed on my previous searches. Old Dopey Me.

From Garmin FAQ:

How do I remove imported routes from my nuvi or zumo device?

If you want to remove old imported routes from your My Data or User Data menu in your nuvi or zumo device, then you will need to perform the following:

Please note that this will remove all the available routes to import from your My Data or User Data menu, but the routes that you have saved in the Routes menu will not be deleted.

PC Users:

1. Connect your nuvi or zumo to a computer with a data transfer USB cable.
2. Open MyComputer/Computer to view your Garmin device drive.
3. Right-click on the Garmin drive and select Open.
4. Double-click the Garmin folder (Note: Some units do not require this step. In this case you would skip to Step 5.)
5. Double-click the GPX folder.
6. Delete the Temp.gpx file.

All available routes to import will now be removed from your My Data or User Data menu in your unit.

Mac Users:

1. Connect your nuvi or zumo to a computer with a data transfer USB cable.
2. Your Garmin device drive will show as being mounted on the Desktop.
3. Double-click on the Garmin device drive.
4. Double-click on the Garmin folder. (Note: Some units do not require this step. In this case you would skip to Step 5.)
5. Double-click on the GPX folder.
6. Delete the Temp.gpx file.

All available routes to import will now be removed from your My Data or User Data menu in your unit.

THanks for info Jim... I've noticed the temp.gpx folder before and found a route in it and thought it was just a route before I had imported it (this was on my Nuvi).

The Zumo works idfferently in that you don't have to "import" a route from My Data.. after you transfer, it is already in "Custom Routes". (But I'll bet it just does all the keystrokes automatically, i.e. same import steps as on a Nuvi, etc.. So.. same folder structure.

Has anyone imported a Speed Trap POI? I'm messing with that now.. and am looking for an up to date file.

http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/united_states/safety/Speed_Trap.html

Found this site.. but haven't tried it yet..

and sorry if we're taking this thread WAY off-topic... What was it about anyway!? :)

Anxious for the 660 to arrive, but the more I read here, the more I'm hoping for a model-specific (all ZUMO's) seminar in Bloomsburg?! :thumb

Anxious for the 660 to arrive, but the more I read here, the more I'm hoping for a model-specific (all ZUMO's) seminar in Bloomsburg?! :thumb

It's pretty easy to get familiar with GPS, just use it in the cage for a month or two while we recover from winter in the frozen north.

There are only minute differences in current Garmin models, some have bluetooth and some don't, some can import routes and some can't -- things like that.

The older models ran a different interface that was a lot more geeky, but basic functionality is about the same between old and new. The newer models have a simplified interface and are a lot easier to use.

Many of the users of the older operating system complained of the new interface as being "dumbed down" but most of the complaints were addressed in later versions and high end models. The "new" interface has been used for at least 6 years now.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to earlier versions. My first Garmin was a 12XL and it wasn't even equipped with a base map.

Kevin... You might want to look at this thread. I have posted a number of Custom Routes for the National Rally. (With much feedback from RockBottom- his "backyard")

When you get your 660 you might want to open one up in MAPSOURCE, save it as a Garmin .GDB file and take a look.. as well as upload a route to your GPS,
if interested.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=51701

For those of you who have the following combination:

A 2005 R1200RT and a Garmin Zumo mounting cradle

A Question - Where did you wire in your hot lead for power, so that when the ignition is turned off, so is power to the Zumo?

I plan to have the shop tech wire things in next month on a scheduled visit to the dealer for other maintenance - looking for what I need to know, so it's done right.

Thanks - Kevin

I'm told that the best set up is a direct wired to the battery or accessory fuse block as the GPS can be left on during stops and there won't be the boot time. Only downside is remembering to turn it off.

European maps

does anyone know if I can download the European maps to my zumo 660 and run them in conjunction with the North American maps I already have?

Or do I need to delete the NA maps?

I'm doing an Edelweiss trip in June and would like to take the Zumo with me.

Thanks,
gsjay

Audio out on a Zumo is via a 3.5 mm stereo connection in the cradle. There is no internal speaker. Bluetooth uses the headset profile for the headset device. Incoming audio is a single channel 2.5 mm microphone jack on the cradle. No internal mic. The bluetooth headset profile allows an external low quality mono earpiece and a microphone to tie into the Zumo.

You may then pair a cellphone using the headset profile. The phone audio will use bluetooth if available. Whether navigation and music transmit over bluetooth is software configurable.

Garmin GPS Zumo 660

Just got back from a 2400 mile trip, with my new garmin zumo 660.
Never used one on the road ( boats,yes of course).
Very nice, safety features, and finding campgrounds, eta, lane changes, and warning on curves ahead are just a few of the benefits.
Sure, it's alot of money, but for a new bike, when you're travelling out of your area, it's worth it.
The additional wunderlich mount , while also costly, worked nicely, no vibration at all.It is in a perfect position, even with the R1200RT BMW tank bag expanded fully.
Highly recommend both, after 7 full days out of my element.

Reel Job
2011 R1200RT
:thumb

Back