• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

By accident I laid my 800GS down...couldn't pick it up!

Whosoever

It is always an embarrassing moment when you lay your bike down, it happened to me recently when I mis-judged the slant in the pavement in a parking lot while turning around. After I put my foot down I realized my mistake and couldn't support the heavy bike so down we went. I was surprised that I couldn't pick it up. Fortunately a good samaritan saw my problem and assisted me. Later when i got home I purposely laid the bike down in my yard, ever so gently, to practice picking it up. To my chagrin I couldn't pick it up. So, I enlisted one of my sons who picked it up for me. After doing so he told me he didn't' think he could do it again......right away.

So folks, what do you do....is there a secret to pick it up? I searched a number of Youtube video's which showed women picking up Harleys by backing into them and picking them up. But in all cases the bike were not flat on the ground. I'd really appreciate some "how to tips". Thanks

Yeah it's like the up on the centerstand thing. You just have to get the hang of it. I haven't seen the videos on Youtube but if you have a chance to see the DVD called Ride Like a Pro with Jerry "Motorman" Palladino you can see some great techniques. One of the keys is frequently having the bike in gear so it doesn't "run away" while your in the middle of the lift. A little practice and you will be fine. Gary

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v3R6N01nhTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The way to pick up any bike is to put it in gear, get your butt under the bike as much as possible and then walk it backwards, pushing the bike with your butt. Be careful not to let it get over center.

I'm sure the videos tell the story best, but basically one hand on the low end of the handlebar...butt or back against the seat...other hand on the rear passenger rail or rack or fender. The key is to lift with your legs and not your back. It should be quite easy for an 800. I just recently dropped my new 1200GSA and had to get some practice in on this one. Once the position was right, it was remarkable how little effort it took to lift the bike.

Some more for you

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BeLkrPkjimo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k4MPyX0QCYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adrenalin. I got off my RT and realized the side stand was not down and over we went. As quickly as I could I jumped up and just heaved with all my might and to my surprise up it came.

Have you heard of Skert's method of picking up a bike? She does presentations at national rallies:

174118547_wQc9K-M.jpg

You put your butt up to the seat, you grab the handlebar and the grab bar, you do little teeny tiny baby steps while lifting the bike up.

I learned a lesson by picking this bike up that day:

174118260_NfURH-M.jpg

I went and got my bike and lifted my own bike right after:

174119058_g2cMM-M.jpg

174119639_2YuAF-M.jpg

And I didn't think that was enough practice and had to end up lifting another bike up later that night...

End results, I lifted too many bikes as I knocked my ribs out as I was hurting.

Moral of the story: With my side bags, there was a chance I can lift my bike up but without bags.... not even a chance. I am too tiny I don't have leverage.

I now have a new bike... I haven't even thought about lifting it up. If I have to, I hope I can.

I think the answer is don't try to use your back...... use your legs... little tiny steps... I was surprised... just have to make sure do it right. I am sure there are people who may have their own or better tatics. I just need to find mine when the time comes.

Footing Surface

I notice that the videos and photos of "how to lift a bike" demonstrations always have the bike on a nice hard, flat surface such as pavement or concrete, or on a rubber mat. While it makes for a nice demonstration, it's not representative of some of the worst case scenarios.

I dropped my bike on a sloping, pea-gravel-covered scenic pull off along the Million Dollar Highway one day, and found it impossible to lift without assistance. Of course, at 5'6" and 165 lbs, I'm not exactly the ideal specimen to be lifting a 550 lb bike. Stopping on a sloping, gravel parking area is something I try to avoid!!

If your technique is good and you're on solid ground, the bike comes right up. If your technique isn't so good (because you don't do it often) or the surface is slippery (like standing on pea gravel on hard packed dirt), it's pretty easy to strain your back. If you do strain your back, you'll probably be able to ride home that day, but the next week or so can be rough.

IMO, the best approach is to understand and even practice the technique (with some help), so you know how to do it, but if you drop the bike somewhere, ask for a hand. Do it by yourself as a last resort when there is no help.

Wow! What a wonderful response

Thank you all for responding in such a positive manner. I am going to try these ideas out for sure. God Love You All! :dance

So folks, what do you do....is there a secret to pick it up? I searched a number of Youtube video's which showed women picking up Harleys by backing into them and picking them up. But in all cases the bike were not flat on the ground. I'd really appreciate some "how to tips". Thanks

A lighter bike helps.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v3R6N01nhTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hmmm... I wonder why this is called "how not to"...? :scratch

this is how I pick up mine.

Now, I must say that it works better with an opposed twin, since they don't fall over so far and the bars are easier to place into the proper position.

Ian

I notice that the videos and photos of "how to lift a bike" demonstrations always have the bike on a nice hard, flat surface such as pavement or concrete, or on a rubber mat. While it makes for a nice demonstration, it's not representative of some of the worst case scenarios.

I bought a Dakar because I wanted a "light" GS. When this thing is lying on it's side it is anything but light.

I ride trails like this near my house and I pick it up a lot:

i-T3schnw-L.jpg

One afternoon I went down in a particularly nasty section of trail near my house. There was no way I was getting it up by myself. I walked to my garage and collected some rope, caribiners, and a small block and tackle. After attaching the block and tackle to a tree and to my bike, I was able to lift the bike easily. I have added this equipment to my tail bag, and have it with me most of the time. Granted, I need something to tie to, hopefully 60' of rope will be enough.

i-T7f7xXr-L.jpg

where there is a will there is a way!!!

:clap
-tp

oh, not always. some situations are not easily recoverable.

dropped my 8GS in some mud. picked it up. dropped it again in some mud. picked it up, but not quite as quickly. dropped it again in some mud (believe, me, i was trying to get out of there, but the terra was not so firma, and was fighting my best intentions and efforts)- and this time, i could not get any solid footing- tires and boots were in mud, with nothing solid nearby. Walked out about a mile, found some teens to lend a hand, walked back in, and with 3 bodies, it was pieca-cake easy.
moral of the story- ride with company. and don't drop it in mud.

Last edited:
A guy at a Finger Lakes Rally had his R1200GS parked flat on the ground. I wandered over and asked if that would bother the battery. He said no. I asked how he planned on picking it up. He showed me, using the back-into-the-bike method. Then he laid the bike down the ground and had me do it. Then I did it a second time.

Okay, I'll admit it, I've picked my RT up off the ground twice now, but only the first month I've owned and not since then (bought new in '03).

Harry

PS: when putting the bike on the centerstand, follow Yoda's advice: "Not try, only do..."

While riding my '98 1100GS on a fireroad, I couldn't pick up the bike after dumping it. Having an 11 gal tank with about 8 gal in it I finally took the gas tank off and was able to get it up.

Back