• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SENA 20S Broken unit parts please

johnholmes

Hello,
I have a pair of Sena 20S units that I communicate with during our trips. I upgraded the battery and it seems like we are pretty happy with the operation of them. The other day, the first time ever, I dropped my helmet while getting fuel. The impact broke the case on my Com unit. I have been successful at disassembling the unit and discovered that I could trim off some areas of the case and make a new piece to glue in. I will most likely hold together, at least for awhile. I contacted SENA and they are like you should not have done that, you need to upgrade to the new model, the 50. Well That is a bit pricey for my taste.

two questions for my friends here:
1-Does anybody have an old SENA 20S that is tired or not working with a good case? I would be willing to purchase it from you.
2-A replacement 20S is over $250. I only use this for communication with my Pilon and a few random calls from a friend that may call me. I do not make calls but I would like the ability that the 20S has. would the SMH 5 satisfy my needs? for $240 I could get a pair of units and a new warranty. does the 5 have the same sound canceling technology?

Thank you for your thoughts.
John

I've been using an SMH-5FM for a little over a year. I can't comment on "same noise canceling as the 20S" since I've never used one of those. However, when I'm on a phone call using the SMH-5FM the person on the other end has no clue that I'm riding 70mph on the Interstate. Whatever it has works pretty well.

I've been using an SMH-5FM for a little over a year. I can't comment on "same noise canceling as the 20S" since I've never used one of those. However, when I'm on a phone call using the SMH-5FM the person on the other end has no clue that I'm riding 70mph on the Interstate. Whatever it has works pretty well.

That answers my question. I get the same response from people when I tell them I am on the bike. I usually get, "You are not!!!".

I was able to patch in a piece of material and repair the piece that broke off the unit. It was quite tedious to hand file and patch in a piece of plastic that felt the same hardness. I used some PVC glue and some JB weld. seems to be holding well. I will also add some packing tape and a tether just in case the glue fails. have a great ride wherever you go.

20S battery?

Hello,
I upgraded the battery and it seems like we are pretty happy with the operation of them.
John

John, what battery did you use and where did you get it? My batteries are aging out and I'm going to replace them and am looking for a source.

Battery replacement

Bob, If it helps I just ordered this one a couple of weeks ago for my 20S based on a few personal recommendations, as my OEM battery from I think 2015 is only lasting about 8-9 hours lately, It's on its way here from China.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6GDP95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

So, is that physically the same size as the OEM battery (I haven't opened up my units yet) or close enough to fit?

Apparently so. It was recommended by several who have already installed it. I think I just need to solder the connector on from the old one as I think the new one comes with just bare wire ends, but that's easy enough and the maH are higher (800 vs. 650) than the OEM so hope it lasts longer on a charge.

Battery Replacement

Apparently so. It was recommended by several who have already installed it. I think I just need to solder the connector on from the old one as I think the new one comes with just bare wire ends, but that's easy enough and the maH are higher (800 vs. 650) than the OEM so hope it lasts longer on a charge.

Thanks!

Hey, just a thought. The battery I ordered on April 26th for $ 19.98 is on its way here from China, and is supposed to arrive between June 4th and 16th. I've decided to trade in my 20S for the $135 credit and upgrade to the 50S, since mine is going on 6 years old, and won't last forever. If you need the battery (which I won't anymore), and don't feel like waiting like I did, I'll sell you my battery when it gets here for what I paid for it, rather than returning it. Let me know.
Larry

Back