• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Alantis leather Jacket

kromer

Hi..
I would like to retreat my Alanitis leather jacket but after several searches have not found much information..
any input would be appreciated as my Alantis is one of my favorites..
thanks

I guess that's one reason to buy the real thing.

Nubuck (pronounced /ˈnjuːbʌk/) is top-grain cattle leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibers, producing a velvet-like surface. It is resistant to wear, and may be white or coloured. ... Nubuck characteristics are similar to aniline leather.

Nubuck IS the real thing. I've been wearing Nubuck Timberlands for decades. Bought a new pair two years ago for the trip to the arctic circle. Though fully waterproof boots, I gave them 3 treatments of food grade mineral oil, letting them sit overnight between applications. Ya, it takes the fuzziness of the Nubuck look away, no big deal.

Lots of warnings about using mineral oil on leather, but after 30+ years of wearing Nubuck Timberlands that usually last 5-6 years, I've not seen degradation [ rotting ] of the boots as some suggest will occur. Keeps the leather waterproof and supple with one application per year after the initial 3 treatments.

What makes you think NUbuck isn't the real thing [ which I presumed meant "real leather"? :scratch

Last edited:
Hi..
I would like to retreat my Alanitis leather jacket but after several searches have not found much information..
any input would be appreciated as my Alantis is one of my favorites..
thanks

Did you happen to save the tags that came with the jacket?
If you bought the jacket new one of the tags will tell you how to care for the garment.

Atlantis jacket history

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but as long as the Atlantis jacket has been mentioned here, I would like to know if anyone has more information. I first saw the Atlantis jacket at my original BMW dealer about ten years ago. I tried it on at the time, and thought it was the most beautiful leather jacket I ever saw. But at the time it was (And still is IF you can find it in your size new) well over a thousand dollars. Since then, I have always admired it and noticed there appear to have been four different versions of it. I suppose these versions were slightly different models of the same "Atlantis" jacket through the years. Can anyone tell me when the Atlantis jacket was first made and in what years the various versions were made? I still see it available for purchase new at various locations, but either too small or too large for my size. And I do not believe it is currently being produced. Thank you all for your responses.

Thank y'all for the responses... you've provided me with an abundance of good information. This is one of my favorite "go to" jackets. It's comfortable, looks good and has kept me dry thru a few downpours while I was riding thru the Adirondacks. Also thanks for that link, that was a good article. I also called a dealership and they couldn't answer the question but did give me a phone number for BMW customer service, so I'll be exploring that too..
again, Thanks for all the good input.
keep it in the wind and ride safe!

My "New" Atlantis jacket arrived!

Hello Kromer,
Would you mind posting here what BMW Customer Service recommended using? Also what version (1,2,3,4?) you own.
I now have a like new Atlantis 4 jacket purchased from this forum's Marketplace.
Thank you!

Back