• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT, yet another final drive quetion

txmxrider

I reviewed quite a few threads about the dreaded 9-3 o'clock wiggle but what I am curious about is whether a slight wiggle at the wheel is 100% destined to catastrophic failure and if so, how long does it usually take? Is there anyone out there who has found some play in the FD yet continued to ride for many years and thousands of miles with no failure at all or is it a hand grenade looking for a place explode? If I just discovered the wiggle today should I schedule a repair immediately or have I got some time, maybe even forever?

Thanks!

Play in the rear end affects the stability of your bike and should be addressed asap. I would not recommend riding without getting it fixed.

can you identify where the wiggle comes from? It may be the FD main bearing, or it may be in one of the rear swingarm bearings.

I'm reasonably sure it's the final drive. It has about 1/16" total range of motion when you grab it at 9 and 3.

Mine developed that at first just a slight bit around 40k last winter. by last summer at about 53k it was a noticable movement. But you could also feel the entire final drive move a little, not just the wheel inside the final drive. Pivot bearings were wearing out. Mechanic said there really isn't any adjustment in them but retightening them sometimes offers some lessening of it,,, sometimes.. Did that and then This past winter at 65K I had new bushings put in which took care of the problem. Now at 73k, all is still nice and tight.

So your question, perhaps it is a bearing in the final drive, perhaps not. Change the final drive oil and see if there is the typical magnetic whiskers on the drain plug or if there is more substantial metal particles.

Let us know the outcome
NCS

Mine developed that at first just a slight bit around 40k last winter. by last summer at about 53k it was a noticable movement. But you could also feel the entire final drive move a little, not just the wheel inside the final drive. Pivot bearings were wearing out. Mechanic said there really isn't any adjustment in them but retightening them sometimes offers some lessening of it,,, sometimes.. Did that and then This past winter at 65K I had new bushings put in which took care of the problem. Now at 73k, all is still nice and tight.

So your question, perhaps it is a bearing in the final drive, perhaps not. Change the final drive oil and see if there is the typical magnetic whiskers on the drain plug or if there is more substantial metal particles.

Let us know the outcome
NCS

I'm planning to change the oil in the engine and final drive this weekend. I'll let you know. If I see Mr. Glaves at Llano next weekend I'll try to get him to take a look too. Thanks!

Back