• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fake helmets posing as real helmets

AKsuited

First clue - they are way too cheap online:

<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CTFZn8DKkls" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are the same in PA. Protecting the right to be stupid. Our most precious freedom.

Not the most precious- but an important one. Let's take it a step further and suppose someone in power decided that the risks inherent in motorcycling are too high, riding is stupid and two wheeled vehicles should be phased out and outlawed. Someone defending riding might get the comment "are you 'protecting the right to be stupid'"? No- I'd answer- I'm protecting the right to manage my own risk as I see fit. For me the risk/reward makes motorcycling a desirable pastime. By the way- I am ATGATT

Real certified helmet vs. knockoff cheapo helmet should be the rider's choice. I do not agree with a governmental agency telling me what type of helmet to wear.

I also strongly feel that if you personally make the choice to wear a non certified helmet and sustain some sort of head injury as a result of your choice, you should have absolutely NO expectation that I will pay your medical expenses for the results of your foolish choice either through increased insurance premiums to me or increased taxes or fees to the health care system. You made your choice. Live, or not, with your choice.

BTW, I live in a mandatory helmet use state, but I still see an incredible number of riders in Tupperware beanies. I made my choice to ride in the best gear, including helmet, I can afford. Still way cheaper than a visit to the ER.

YMMV

Friedle

Not the most precious- but an important one. Let's take it a step further and suppose someone in power decided that the risks inherent in motorcycling are too high, riding is stupid and two wheeled vehicles should be phased out and outlawed. Someone defending riding might get the comment "are you 'protecting the right to be stupid'"? No- I'd answer- I'm protecting the right to manage my own risk as I see fit. For me the risk/reward makes motorcycling a desirable pastime. By the way- I am ATGATT

Preserving the rights of people to make themselves and their families dependent on social services (SS disability and medicaid) by knowingly poor choices is something I'll always salute with a sigh.

I guess, we'll call it the "Reverse Enlightenment". Where any idea, not matter how bad, is worthy of a defense.

Preserving the rights of people to make themselves and their families dependent on social services (SS disability and medicaid) by knowingly poor choices is something I'll always salute with a sigh.

I guess, we'll call it the "Reverse Enlightenment". Where any idea, not matter how bad, is worthy of a defense.

NOW it gets interesting! Friedl's post above yours hints at some directions for "foolish decision rights", particularly his observation that: "I also strongly feel that if you personally make the choice to wear a non certified helmet and sustain some sort of head injury as a result of your choice, you should have absolutely NO expectation that I will pay your medical expenses for the results of your foolish choice either through increased insurance premiums to me or increased taxes or fees to the health care system. You made your choice. Live, or not, with your choice." My father, because he was a musician and worked late and drunk driving was more the rule than the exception, though a teetotaler, found himself in an "assigned risk" pool of insurance.

BTW a free universal health scheme would put the result of your (not you your, their your) poor decisions on MY shoulders. I'm not stridently proposing or eliminating anything- it IS complex. Arguably almost every tragedy is the result of a poor decision.

BTW shouldn't this be moved over to the "Politics of Motorcycling Forum"...which I voted against. HA
Anyway, I appreciate your measured response.

Last edited:
Real certified helmet vs. knockoff cheapo helmet should be the rider's choice.

As long as it is obvious that a helmet is a "faux helmet," a "beanie," a "cheater" helmet, I'm fine with that. The reason I posted the video is that when you look at a full-face helmet which looks for all the world an authentic Arai, but it splits like an egg in any kind of get-off, that's fraud and is a very serious violation of law and morals. Someone might buy one of these "Arai" helmets thinking it is the real thing when it most certainly is not.

And yeah, maybe half the helmets I see in action in New York are obviously fake due to the lack of any Styrofoam energy absorbing layer. I have no sympathy for those riders. We have the perfect excuse here to buck peer pressure and wear a real helmet since the law requires that.

Harry

As long as it is obvious that a helmet is a "faux helmet," a "beanie," a "cheater" helmet, I'm fine with that. The reason I posted the video is that when you look at a full-face helmet which looks for all the world an authentic Arai, but it splits like an egg in any kind of get-off, that's fraud and is a very serious violation of law and morals. Someone might buy one of these "Arai" helmets thinking it is the real thing when it most certainly is not.

And yeah, maybe half the helmets I see in action in New York are obviously fake due to the lack of any Styrofoam energy absorbing layer. I have no sympathy for those riders. We have the perfect excuse here to buck peer pressure and wear a real helmet since the law requires that.

Harry

I had the opportunity to be at the Arai USA office the other week and they're aware of this issue (they raised it to me). Sadly, if things go the route of some luxury goods, it'll be very difficult to identify real from fake. Purchasing from a trusted retailer is your best and only defense.

NOW it gets interesting! Friedl's post above yours hints at some directions for "foolish decision rights", particularly his observation that: "I also strongly feel that if you personally make the choice to wear a non certified helmet and sustain some sort of head injury as a result of your choice, you should have absolutely NO expectation that I will pay your medical expenses for the results of your foolish choice either through increased insurance premiums to me or increased taxes or fees to the health care system. You made your choice. Live, or not, with your choice." My father, because he was a musician and worked late and drunk driving was more the rule than the exception, though a teetotaler, found himself in an "assigned risk" pool of insurance.

BTW a free universal health scheme would put the result of your (not you your, their your) poor decisions on MY shoulders. I'm not stridently proposing or eliminating anything- it IS complex. Arguably almost every tragedy is the result of a poor decision.

BTW shouldn't this be moved over to the "Politics of Motorcycling Forum"...which I voted against. HA
Anyway, I appreciate your measured response.
Rick Jagels

So, the ambulance crew picks-up the head trauma victim and delivers him/her to the ER. At what point does the victim stop the attending surgeons or where do they locate that living will he carries at all times? Have the family members of the (likely unconscious) head trauma victim promised to support his intentions? Have they ever heard his/her proclamation of individualism? I'm guessing it's stored with the never submitted IRA contribution paperwork from 2003. So, we'll pay the bill.

But, I'm OK with that. As long as no one demands that I protect the right of the stupid to be stupid, I'm good. I'm also not going to stop saying.... riders without helmets are stupid. It's that simple. You can be stupid. I don't care. Just don't be all hurt, when I call you stupid for doing so.

It's not a discussion about politics, it's an assessment of intellect. No helmet = Stupid.

This is awesome, once again the MOA collective has shown they can't stay on topic.

There is a real problem with counterfeit helmets, but at the very first reply we turn it into bashing Harley Davidson riders and the people who are less than ATGATT.

Every single post on this site morphs into that.

Perhaps YOU people need to get a life?

The link below provides an interesting analysis of helmet price versus safety factor.

https://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

I recall hearing the same thing when I took the MSF Basic Rider Course in the late 1980's. A "real" DOT helmet provides a lot of crash protection, but might not be quiet or comfortable. The extra $$ of a Shoei/Arai/.... buys comfort, quiet, ventilation, scratch resistant face-shields, etc. that greatly improve the quality of your ride.

There is a real problem with counterfeit helmets, but at the very first reply we turn it into bashing Harley Davidson riders and the people who are less than ATGATT.

You're the first one to use the words Harley Davidson.

A reliable vendor , as mentioned, is my best assurance that I bought what I thought I bought! As a result, I can approach this thread -hopefully- as an interested party rather than a potential victim.

No comment on the stupid comment...back on track!

Last edited:
Yea but.....I saw a BMW rider wearing a very expensive Shoei "flip face" helmet, crash violently. Both pins that are suppose to prevent the thing from flipping up when you don't want it to were sheared off. She had some broken bones & a few internal, non life threatening injuries and fortunately no head injury. However, after I witnessed that, I will never buy a flip up (no matter how expensive). As I stated, the crash was terrible and she could have easily ground her chin right off her face. And yes,this is off the original topic. Damn that MOA collective.:)

You're the first one to use the words Harley Davidson.

First reply to this post

"I can see the next pirate legend taking shape............"Why would I a take a risk on a helmet that could be counterfeit and kill me..........."

Reading comprehension is important.

This speculates that a Harley Davidson rider "pirate" would buy into a legend that it is safer to ride without a helmet rather than a counterfeit one.

Very first reply...…………

We wonder why the MOA numbers are shrinking.

Back