• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

*ISSUES WITH DENALI CANsmart Controller** Help please

ballen262

Ok a month ago I bought the new 2.0 version DR1 lights along with the new CANsmart controller, hooked it up and all went well, month later not even really using them except first night adjusting and aiming the lights as I don't use them during the day maybe used them a couple times at night. (wanna save the life of the LED) I don't use the lights during the day.

Anyway last night I tried to turn them on and they didn't work, I held my turn switch for 3 seconds to turn them on as I have them hooked up to pig tail #1 (pigtail #2 for second set of lights require pushing turn cancel 3 times in a row) anyway after I pushed and held cancel switch on bike for the 3 seconds the lights would flicker on off real fast, thinking I got them turned on I switched my high beams on and LED lights did not come on.

Did update on CANsmart no difference, so I unplugged the lights from pigtail #1 and hooked LED's up to the #2 pigtail and pushed cancel button 3 times in a row and LED's came on.

So Im guessing something is wrong with my #1 Pigtail on CANsmart, ALSO does anyone know if the Dimming mode is infinant control or is there only two settings of brightness on dimming while turning the handlebar turn knob on bike??
When I try to dim lights turning the CAN the lights go from a low setting to full setting with nothing in-between.

Any help would be great or has others had this issue as well??

Thanks

I had a similar issue with a new install and the updated software. After much trouble shooting, the Denali rep stated there had been a n anomaly with Cansmart. He said to have the software application set to “2 wire.” I asked if that would not defeat the settings that required the 3rd wire. He stated that it would work as advertised. Surprisingly it did. You might want to try the 2 wire option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was lucky enough to sign up for the CANsmart installation clinic at the rally in Des Moines and even luckier to have it be one on one. From what I remember the lights flickering on and off rapidly indicated that you entered the mode when you could set the brightness. The Twisted Throttle rep mentioned that there is currently an option to have the brightness level at zero. This sometimes leads to confusion where people think the light is not working because it off when it’s off and it’s off (at zero brightness) when you try to turn the light “on.“ it sounds like they are considering a software update so that the minimum brightness level is something higher than zero to avoid confusion. It sounds like you’ve hardly been using your lights at all so maybe you’ve just had them set at a brightness level of zero. As a sidenote, I don’t think you have to worry about using up the LEDs, they have an incredibly long life.

My understanding is that the wonder wheel adjusts the brightness of the lights. So you hold the wonder wheel or something over until you got the second or two of rapid flashes. Then spin the wonder wheel to adjust the brightness. I believe it goes in 10% increments.

Hope this helps! I’m about to install mine so I hope I paid attention at the rally…

I had a similar issue with a new install and the updated software. After much trouble shooting, the Denali rep stated there had been a n anomaly with Cansmart. He said to have the software application set to “2 wire.” I asked if that would not defeat the settings that required the 3rd wire. He stated that it would work as advertised. Surprisingly it did. You might want to try the 2 wire option.

Man I don't know what happened but now plug one works, and yes by switching it to a two wire mode it now adj dim mode in 10% increments.

Now for the big question, does the lights have the ability to notice when its day verses night riding?? Because there is a setting for Day time brightness and night time brightness.

I think the day/night sensor does work. You could easily test it by temporarily making the day settings very bright and the night settings very dim. Covering the sensor on the instrument screen should cycle them, or using a flashlight at night.

I do not have a laptop to connect to my bike, so changing the settings is a real pain for me or I would test it out.

I think the day/night sensor does work. You could easily test it by temporarily making the day settings very bright and the night settings very dim. Covering the sensor on the instrument screen should cycle them, or using a flashlight at night.

I do not have a laptop to connect to my bike, so changing the settings is a real pain for me or I would test it out.

Well I spoke to soon, if I switch the button to a two wire setting it does work as long as computer is hooked up and I turn bike back on before the green light on Can Smart goes off it will work. BUT once the green light goes off on the back of the CanSmart and I turn bike back on the fog comes on very dim only on low beam and high beam doesn't even work.

I switched it back to a three wire set up and now it works with 100% on night settings both day night and I put low beam at 90% both day and night and when I shut off bike and let green light go off on Can Smart then turn on bike I get high beam the fogs come on 100% and low beam is about 50%.
If I turn on Dimmer (pushing turn knob for 3 seconds it only dims the fogs to about 50% then off and low beam 50% to 100% so I have no 10% increment settings anymore.
CanSmart has some issues for sure, which they will be getting a call from me tomorrow for sure.
Im guessing with CanSmart set to 3wire mode you only get two brightness settings on both low and high beam, and if you set them to high beam at 100% and low beam to 90% they will always work, anything else they don't come on.

So its official, plug #1 works only with three wire setup, and with three wire setup it only has two dim settings, 50%, 100% or off, if I switch plug #1 to two wire setup I do get dimming at 10% intervals BUT if I turn bike off in 2 wire mode and turn back on before green light off on CanSmart it still works when I turn ignition back on, if the green light off on CanSmart and then I turn bike ignition on fogs don't work except 20% on low beam only thats it.

If I use plug (#2) both 3wire mode and 2 wire mode it works no matter how long bike ignition is off,, and on three wire mode on plug #2 it does the same type of dimming as in three wire mode on plug #1 where dimmer is only at 50% 100% or off.

So plug #1 has an issue in 3wire mode, (defective) because I tried every scenario and I almost drained my battery testing every scenario.

So Im going to leave it plugged into the #2 plug for now till I get new CANsmart in.

I do have update done as well.

Update

I installed mine and all worked as advertised. Hope you get your issues worked out.

Lots of people have issues with DENIAL. Seek professional assistance. :wave

Friedle

Lots of people have issues with DENIAL. Seek professional assistance. :wave

Friedle

Well by coming here and posting I was able to get valuable information about selecting 2 wire mode which allows me to dim fogs in 10% increments from 0% to 100% but I can only do that on #2 wire set that allows up to 4amp draw.

So #1 wire set is defective and yes Twisted Throttle will be getting a call tomorrow, not mad, as I know EVERY aftermarket items today have faults.

Only issue is I was stuck on the side of the road with my wife the other night in dear country trying to find out what was wrong with fog lamps for almost an hour.
NOT COOL

Thanks for posting the question! Couldn't get my second set of lights to adjust in the app. Google brought me here. Switching to 2 wire resolved the issue!

50299845_10214290639926975_3597571191038017536_o.jpg
50618194_10214290639046953_2621352234490789888_o.jpg

Back