• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75c front brake hose routing

ghyber

Can someone take a picture of his K75C front brake hose for me. I would like to see how it is routed from the master cylinder right front brake handle. I should get a pretty good picture with the handlebars turned full left.

DILEMMA

I installed a K75C brake hose onto my 93 K75S now modified with brand new C-bars. However, a quick peek into my Haynes manual and it appears that the C-model brake hose is routed behind the upper fork cross brace (between fuel tank and fork brace) which is quite different than the routing with the S-bars where the hose was routed in front of the fork cross brace.

WHY THE CONCERN

The brake hose appears to be stretched when the handlebars are turned full left. Plus, I have kept the A&S bar backs which taxes the brake hose lengthwise even more.

I can take a picture of my installation which I incidentally have to redo anyways (I am getting pretty good at bleeding). :banghead

Here is a picture which might help to show my concern. Should the brake hose go behind the handlebar or ahead? BTW, I am pretty sure the brake hose should not angle up from the cylinder piston, it should be rotated 180 and point downward.

DSCN9496.jpg

DSCN9504.jpg

Is your bike ABS or not?

Which part number C hose did you get?

Is the hose 435mm long?

:dance:dance:dance

Is your bike ABS or not?

Which part number C hose did you get?

Is the hose 435mm long?

Hello Lee,

Thanks for responding.

My bike is ABS. The C-hose part number I purchased is: 34 32 1 457 909. Yes, it is the 435mm long brake hose.

Another reason that got me thinking about routing the brake hose in front of the handlebars is the near horizontal position of the brake lever. As is, the cylinder piston and brake hose hit the handlebar leaving me with little capability to tilt the brake lever down.

Last edited:
In the hyperlink below, I found a picture of the brake hose routed forward of the handlebars? Any thoughts...?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581784

That's a non ABS bike.

The hose you bought is for C bars with ABS. It might not be long enough for C bars AND barbacks on an ABS bike. But it SHOULD be (unless there is a typo in the BMW parts fiche. Imagine that!) It shows that hose LONGER than the RT hose (which doesn't make sense).

Try different routings BEFORE you put any brake fluid in the system so you can easily try several routings. I would start with the most direct route and the kink on the upper banjo should probably be going down.

If you can't find a satisfactory routing, you may need to have a custom made line. In that case, go with teflon lined stainless braided line.

I emptied the fluid reservoir, disconnected the front brake hose and tried rerouting to no avail. I can't even reverse the kink in the banjo to the downward position; the hose flex won't allow it without excessive stress and possible damage to the $40 hose.

However, I was able to confirm by simply holding the banjo in place that there is no appreciable or significant stress on the brake hose while cramping the handlebar to the full left position. Hence, my concern was basically unjustified.

I still appreciate the feedback, thanks Lee. :thumb

Last edited:
I called Galfer and the sales agent did not have the K75S with ABS in her books or kits (I doubt that). In addition, I now have a special setup with the K75C bars. Anyways, she certainly did not give me a "warm and fuzzy feeling" about the whole thing. :brow

Brian at Spiegler on the other hand was more than accommodating. I am going to be ordering a special kit for my bike.

Spiegler Brake Lines

Yes, I do listen to those comments & suggestions from the stalwarts of this forum.

DSCN9552.jpg

I hope the label on the package is wrong.

If they sent you hoses for a K75S, the hose from the master to the line under the tank will be the same length as the one you took off.

Since you have C bars AND barbacks, you need a much longer hose (unless they put in a custom length hose and didn't change the label).

Once you get them installed, the difference in feel will be amazing.

Spiegler Brake Lines - SPECIAL ORDER

Hello Lee,

The label is generic. I spoke with Brian at Spiegler and we substituted that specific line for my setup. The K75C BMW line was 435mm, I ordered that specific line to be 525mm. I got the longer brake line made to measure at no extra cost.

The determining factor for purchasing the kit occurred when I noticed the 02/92 date stamp on my rear brake lines: 20 year old brake lines! It was time and prudent to replace all "on spec".

Quick question on bleeding: is it possible to compress or push the brake pads into the callipers by hand? BMW sells a tool to do just that which I do not own and don't really want to purchase unless absolutely required.

Yes.

Unbolt calipers from mounts. Take a wide blade screwdriver and CAREFULLY pry between the pads until they are fully retracted into the caliper. Remember to remove fluid from master.BEFORE and during this process or do it on the bench with the hose removed.

You can do a preliminary flush and bleed of the system by cutting a block that will keep the pistons and pads fully retracted. You will use less fluid and insure more of the old fluid is purged.

Back