• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another possible Oilhead purchase. R1100RS Your thoughts?

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Well...I took a 45 minute ride up the coast this afternoon to meet with the Seller of the R1100RS and walked away with mixed feelings about whether or not to make an offer. I’ll explain....

The Good...Before meeting the Owner and after staring at the photos of the bike trying to detect every single detail and nuance that one can possibly hope to find from a few online photos, I picked up one curious detail. A sticker on both the left and right side of the bike which read, DP Safety School. At first I began to think perhaps the Owner or prior one from the past attended a motorcycle safety course and slapped a couple stickers on upon completion of the course. Then that idea seemed odd to me, and I began to think there must be a link between the DP Safety School stickers and the current Owner. When I spoke to the Owner over the phone, I recall him telling me his name was Dennis. I quick Google search later and I found out that DP Safety Schools (now out of business) was a road racing school here in the Western U.S. which was owned and operated by a former road racer named Dennis Pegelow. Could the Owner who’s selling this bike be the very same Dennis of racing lore who chased Kenny Roberts around the racetrack? Well as I found out this afternoon...Yes! It’s the very same person. It was an enjoyable afternoon listening to Dennis share some stories with me about his racing past, seeing some of the photos from his racing days and old trophies collecting dust. Dennis lives, sleeps and breathes motorcycles and in fact, the R1100RS is his only means of transportation. He doesn’t own a car and hasn’t felt much need for one either. Talk about living your passion! This guy is the real deal. Wow! What a neat and interesting guy.

So back to the bike...since this is not one of his track bikes, but rather his daily transportation the bike has been maintained and sounds and runs good. The cosmetics....well, that’s another story. Also...the bike is a 1994 not a 1996 model as I previously stated. I was incorrect about that and apparently confused it with another bike that I had seen. Not sure about the differences between those two model years, but one thing I noticed is that there was not a Rider Information Display like newer RS’s and like my RT has. So no gas gauge.... Ok. I can live without it I suppose. At least the trip odometer works. As for the plastics, it all appears to be in very good shape, aside from dull paint. No cracks or broken pieces that I could tell. The only blemishes were scrapes that resulted from dropping the bike while parked (both sides). Ouch! That can be fixed however. Also as it turns out, the Mechanic who has serviced the bike since Dennis’ ownership is a fairly well known BMW mechanic and somewhat of a legend in his own right, at least here on the Central Coast. I also know him as he’s serviced my bike in the past. He serviced the final drive on my bike when it failed at 19,000 miles. That said, knowing who’s been servicing the bike, I feel somewhat more confident about the overall mechanical condition.

The Bad... As you saw from the initial photos there appears to be a fair amount of rust and corrosion from living outdoors, but in person the bike actually worse! Much worse, in fact. I wish the rust and corrosion was only limited to those initial photos, but living directly across the street from the Pacific Ocean has taken it’s toll. The bike enjoys a spectacular ocean view from the outdoor parking lot where it sit, but that hasn’t helped the condition much. I feel that much of the bike would need to be disassembled to really address the corrosion and rust issue. At which point, why not just go all the way and take it down to the frame, remove the engine, media blast all the hard parts and repaint or anodize to a factory like finish? If I were to go that route, it might be fun to repaint the engine in a hi-temp black wrinkle or textured finish to give the bike a blacked out appearance. Black engine, tranny, final drive, forks and handlebars...set against the red painted plastics. Might look neat done up that way. But....that is a huge undertaking and all of that is cosmetics and doesn’t address any of the other issues that need to be tended to. The shocks are completely spent. So a new set is needed. The Hall Sensor would need to be sent off to GSA Addict, the front tire is down to the minimums, a new seat is desperately needed and there’s a list of other things that I’m beginning to compile that would need repairing or replacing.

The Ugly... In truth, this part has more to do with the Owner than it does the bike. Clearly Dennis’ best years are behind him. He’s 74 and his body is broken down and his health is failing him. As I found out today, the two parking lot drops (left and right side) happened as a result of his health issue. He’s having problems with his balance where he’s taken some spills and hurt himself, not the least of which is his pride, that of which I’m quite certain. These days Dennis uses a cane and receives regular PT as he struggles to walk short distances without falling down. This is the ugly part of the story, because he needs the money from the bike to buy himself a car since he can no longer balance a motorcycle. Even at his asking price of $1850 it wouldn’t buy much of a car and as you can imagine, living off Social Security doesn’t go very far here in CA, much less here on the Central Coast. He rents a studio apartment across from the beach and appears to have little else besides his pictures, his trophies and the memories. I could sit and talk to him for hours over a beer or two. So that brings me to this point. I don’t have the heart to make Dennis an offer. Knowing his health situation and apparent financial need to sell his bike for as much cash as he can get in order to buy a used car, I think to make him an offer would only insult. I don’t want to offend this poor old guy, but honestly, given the condition and the amount of time and money that I’d have to spend to make this bike right....it’s worth only about $500 to me and even that might be generous. So there it is. That’s the whole story. Ordinarily I don’t make emotional decisions when it comes to financial transactions, but taking a pass on it seems like the right thing to do. I honesty cannot justify spending any more than $500 when I know that I will easily turn right around and spend $1500-2000 easily right off the bat which is all that bike is probably worth even in great condition. On the the other hand, Dennis has had the bike for sale for the past couple of months and he’s been slowly dropping his price. He’s had plenty of lookers but no takers given the condition of the bike. I actually find his story to be somewhat heartbreaking and that’s probably why I’m so conflicted about it all.

Okay Guys.....it’s your turn. What say you? Am I off my rocker? Am I over thinking it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ecc5521b0d88aebfa293de3156484af1.jpg

Dennis (left) back in the day, teaching a class of prospective road racers.

04eb623bf53dc6dd2d10d3fd65ed9852.jpg

d529dc67f901b09e06ce060dfc32ea1c.jpg
62e2150246a3f847fd1525ae96510993.jpg

98c0f9666541f9ad44868ca362733be1.jpg

31be66d22b4a036f1ccc946d7440107b.jpg
01761e896ac1e78e77b28bee03ec4d3b.jpg
612c99d20b891b5dd8e69692ec65cc4a.jpg

2153498902a7cfcd4a3ae7e859286881.jpg

6b6884914b2c231e793092ca342e28e2.jpg

8d1f80ade6422cd508da1fcf3b195851.jpg
604944fb0dc68447a17b94d55e03d260.jpg

Last edited:
Skip it, nobody needs more hassles in their life... sad about Dennis, though; I had an older cousin in the same predicament. :cry

All of the inputs I've seen here are accurate... One more thing the older oilheads had was bad glue on the magnets inside the starter motor. They'd either cock off at an angle or just let go, jamming the starter instantly. One of my friends on an R1100S (black, btw, and a really FUN ride! - he had to stash it here for a while, with instructions to "keep it exercised!") had a major portion of the wiring harness just above the starter totally f'n melt, and his shop never even tried to determine a "Root Cause", they just replaced parts. Oh well.

When the oilhead was introduced BMW promoted the R1100RS with the "Battle of the Legends". Well known riders from the 1970s rode R1100RS bikes in sort-of staged races at various venues. I can recall seeing these guys at the Mid-Ohio race track. In between their track sessions the BMW "racers" would sign t-shirts, posters, and hats. I still have a couple of the t-shirts and hats.

One of these BMW racers in 1994 was Walt Fulton. I had just purchased a new red 94 R1100RS, like the one shown above. I chatted a bit with Walt while he was signing my t-shirt and hat. I recalled him being a pretty nice guy.

At the rally in Lebanon in 2019 I took one of the training courses. Walt Fulton was the instructor at this course. He indicated that he liked the R1100RS so much that he had five of those bikes. I noticed that he had a bit of a limp in his walk from some of his racing experiences. Come to think of it many of the guys doing the "Battle of the Legends" had a limp.

I still have my red 94 R1100RS. I think that it is one of the finest bikes that BMW has ever produced. I also think this about the K75S and several of the airheads.

I also grew up near the ocean (eastern coast of NC) and have seen what the sea breaze can do to a vehicle. Somewhere lurking a ways back in the forum is a thread about a "free" R1100RS that was revitalized. That bike looked like it had been stored under water or mud for a while. It did clean up nicely, but quite a bit of elbow grease was used as I recall.

download.jpg

Okay Guys.....it’s your turn. What say you?

Hard pass. When I saw the original pictures of corroded parts I figured it was going to be way worse in person.

Opinion...
If Dennis is having difficulty walking, and its due to balance issues, perhaps its best that he not drive a car, either.

Sad story on a number of levels.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post and especially those who offered me their opinions, tips, suggestions or advice. It’s all welcomed and very much appreciated. I knew that I didn’t know enough about the bike and all the potential pitfalls at the moment I first laid eyes on that bike, but it knew where to turn to. I asked and you guys came through for me. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You guys really are the glue that hold this forum together.

All of that to say....I’m going to move on and focus my energy elsewhere. If nothing else came of it, I got to meet a really cool and interesting guy...an ex-road racer and for that I’m grateful. It was seeing the photos...hearing his story and admiring those trophies. Thanks for sharing in it with me. You guys are the best!

I still have my red 94 R1100RS. I think that it is one of the finest bikes that BMW has ever produced. I also think this about the K75S and several of the airheads.

I too have a red 94 R1100RS. It is a beauty. So was my yellow 94 K75s, and I also had an airhead, but it was long ago, I don't remember what model.We have similar tastes.

I too have a red 94 R1100RS. It is a beauty. So was my yellow 94 K75s, and I also had an airhead, but it was long ago, I don't remember what model.We have similar tastes.

Ironically, I had a red K75S about 20 years ago and now considering purchasing a yellow R1100RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a 94 K75S, which is Dakar Yellow, plus a silver R1100 RS. Seems a common theme

BTW, the PO of my K75S, told me that BMW imported just about 100 Dakar Yellow K75s models. I’ve never found anything that corroborates this info. Anyone in the know, care to weigh in?

So was my yellow 94 K75s, ....

I enjoyed your writing style and story. Submit a longer version to the MOA Mag with more detail on his professional riding.

Keep looking for the right bike. I waited for 3 years to find the exact RS I wanted and flew there to buy it. '04 1150 Blue/grey.

Love it! RS is a different riding position than a RT. So make sure you can sit on it on the center stand if you can't take one for a ride.

I enjoyed your writing style and story. Submit a longer version to the MOA Mag with more detail on his professional riding.

Keep looking for the right bike. I waited for 3 years to find the exact RS I wanted and flew there to buy it. '04 1150 Blue/grey.

Love it! RS is a different riding position than a RT. So make sure you can sit on it on the center stand if you can't take one for a ride.

Hi there. Thanks very much for the kind words, I appreciate it very much. I do enjoying writing and sharing stories, but it never occurred to me that others enjoyed reading them. Thanks again...you’re too kind. I just may very well take your suggestion and submit it to MOA and see what happens with it.

As for the RS, I am enjoying what started out merely as a search and has become more of quest (sounds of coconut shells clapping together in the background) [emoji6] and when I do finally find the one I’ve been looking for I hope for a fun and memorable experience on the journey back home. A fly n’ buy scenario would definitely be a fun experience as I would incorporate some vacation time for the ride home. I’ve never done that before.

In my quest I recently ran across a sweet little RS sitting in the parking lot at a local AAA. The Owner just brought it to California from Ohio and was in the process of handling the DMV paperwork. That bike was immaculate and very well cared for (see photos). Ideally this is what I’m looking for a bike that’s been ridden, garage kept and very well cared for. I’m sure it’s out there, I just need to find it.
b774a6c59411aa658ba2eafef120c825.jpg

Last edited:
Tangoalpha,

This Two tone is the later, R1150 RS models, that has a few significant differences, from the earlier, R1100 RS.

Without citing all of the changes, besides the engine size, the 1150 has a six speed transmission. This giveS the later bikes, a somewhat different feel. Not going to say which is better, the earlier or later versions, just that they are different. Some prefer the 1100 models with the 5 speed, others like the 1150.

One big change is that the 1150 has a 17” rear wheel, versus the 1994-2001’s 18” wheel. Personally, I am finding limited rear tire sizes for the 1100.

Hi there. Thanks very much for the kind words, I appreciate it very much. I do enjoying writing and sharing stories, but it never occurred to me that others enjoyed reading them. Thanks again...you’re too kind. I just may very well take your suggestion and submit it to MOA and see what happens with it.

As for the RS, I am enjoying what started out merely as a search and has become more of quest (sounds of coconut shells clapping together in the background) [emoji6] and when I do finally find the one I’ve been looking for I hope for a fun and memorable experience on the journey back home. A fly n’ buy scenario would definitely be a fun experience as I would incorporate some vacation time for the ride home. I’ve never done that before.

In my quest I recently ran across a sweet little RS sitting in the parking lot at a local AAA. The Owner just brought it to California from Ohio and was in the process of handling the DMV paperwork. That bike was immaculate and very well cared for (see photos). Ideally this is what I’m looking for a bike that’s been ridden, garage kept and very well cared for. I’m sure it’s out there, I just need to find it.
b774a6c59411aa658ba2eafef120c825.jpg

There are TWO RSLs in the MOA Marketplace right now. One is in California and one is in Texas which would make a nice fly n' ride home vacation for you.

I should also bring to your attention the sweet 2001 R1100S which is also for sale. Its not Pacific Blue but still very attractive. 32,000 miles - $3,100 US. Needs brake lines and probably the HES. In Toronto so you wouldn't be picking it up anytime soon.

Last edited:
Tangoalpha,

This Two tone is the later, R1150 RS models, that has a few significant differences, from the earlier, R1100 RS.

Without citing all of the changes, besides the engine size, the 1150 has a six speed transmission. This giveS the later bikes, a somewhat different feel. Not going to say which is better, the earlier or later versions, just that they are different. Some prefer the 1100 models with the 5 speed, others like the 1150.

One big change is that the 1150 has a 17” rear wheel, versus the 1994-2001’s 18” wheel. Personally, I am finding limited rear tire sizes for the 1100.

That’s great information, especially considering it’s from the perspective of somebody who happens to own the bike I’m considering purchasing. I did read your post about the tire issue actually and I wondered why BMW switched from an 18” rim to a 17”. Is 18” really such an odd ball rim size that it’s hard to find rubber for? It certainly seems that way, but until you mentioned it in your post, I never would have given that even a second thought. I guess the only permanent option is to replace the rim with a 17”. This leads me to another question. Since I would not want mismatched front/rear rims, could one just replace both R1100RS rims for R1150RS (front/rear) in order to have a matched set? We’re there any changes that prevent it from bolting straight up? Seems to me it should work just fine...a different shim for the rear I suppose.
There are TWO RSLs in the MOA Marketplace right now. One is in California and one is in Texas which would make a nice fly n' ride home vacation for you.

I should also bring to your attention the sweet 2001 R1100S which is also for sale. Its not Pacific Blue but still very attractive. 32,000 miles - $3,100 US. Needs brake lines and probably the HES. In Toronto so you wouldn't be picking it up anytime soon.
Indeed...I’ve been in communication with both owners and they are very fine gentlemen, I must say. To be quite frank, I’d much rather deal with MOA members than Craigslist sellers. In fact, I’d prefer to deal with MOA members exclusively. The bike in CA that you mentioned was originally purchased from an MOA member which I found out from the current (MOA) owner. If I were to buy that bike, that would make me the third MOA owner. Not a bad way to go. I tend to think MOA owners are the sort who appreciate their machines enough to care for them and service them as needed, more so than the garden variety motorcycle owner who may be more neglectful. That at least is my impression. So far...every MOA member I’ve dealt with in the past 4 years whether buying parts from Marketplace, to shopping for bikes, to discussions in the threads or private messages, I’ve found MOA members to be nothing but pleasant, respectful, trusting and considerate people. I’m completely sold on MOA and have a high level of trust and confidence in our members. Another great example of how MOA members help each other is the Anonymous Book. That says a lot about the people who make up this organization. So based on that, would I consider buying a bike from you or any of our other members? Absolutely! I could even overlook the fact that your bike’s color isn’t Pacific Blue. [emoji16]

Tangoalpha,

Some prefer the 1100 models with the 5 speed, others like the 1150...

The problem with the six speed, or most of them, is the 1,000 r.p.m. gap between 5th and 6th gears. I found it really annoying, especially at 60 mph. On my bike I needed about 80 mph to "carry" that 6th gear.

The problem with the six speed, or most of them, is the 1,000 r.p.m. gap between 5th and 6th gears. I found it really annoying, especially at 60 mph. On my bike I needed about 80 mph to "carry" that 6th gear.

I might be wrong so check the spec's but I think the 25% change between 5th and 6th was on the GS and R variants and not on the R1100S or the R1150RT or RS.

Back