• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Atlantis 4 Leathers

paulcibulka

I'm thinking about buying either the Atlantis 4 or 3 jacket and pants. How do you like them? Is it worth the addional $ to buy the 4 over the 3?

I don't think they changed anything

I don't think they have (essentially) changed anything on the Atlantis since the Atlantis I. I have the original and the only thing I could say that was diffeent is buttons you can attach suspenders to the pants. You will need suspenders, as the pants are very heavy, but the clamp on braces are fine.

You'll love the suit and it really looks good on or off the bike. I bought one several years ago (and, of course had to buy another for the wife). I get compliments on the suit almost every time I wear it, which is most of the time I ride. We call it our "Armani" and it certainly cost like it.

Good luck.

Don't have one but the 4 is waterproof without liners. i believe it is due to a laminated leather/waterproof membrane material

Stone Lake Leather

I picked up a pair of Stone Lakes leather bibs.

Dan is great to deal with, tailored to your size, heavy freaking leather (optional), and good looking. Makes a fine match with the leather jacket.
Smooth lining so they glide over clothing, pockets galore and solid hardware. These are not cheap but will last forever. Quality homegrown product.

My 2 cents of what else is out there. safe riding. houston

atlantis

Don't have one but the 4 is waterproof without liners. i believe it is due to a laminated leather/waterproof membrane material

all of the series are waterproof from the very begining. I was told that you can wash it 3 or 4 times (need to retreat the leather with BMW treatment stuff) and after that, you can send it to them and they will professionally re-treat the leather. These are truely lifetime garments. You'll love the suit. By the way, I've had the suit over 5 years and I haven't needed to wash it, yet.

By the way, these are good for cold weather, but surprisingly comfortable up to and slightly over 100 degrees (as long as you're moving). Good luck.

My understanding is that the leather is water repellent via some type of treatment but the Atlantis 3 had optional gore-tex liners to make it waterproof (although the leather itself could get wet depending on the level of water repellent left in the leather). The 4 has a permanent waterproof liner laminated to the leather that makes it waterproof all the time. The water repellent aspect of the leather is similar to the 3. The advantage of the laminated liner is that it is less "blousy" than a zip in liner and the leather tends to get less wet and dry quicker. It is similar in concept to the Rukka Lancelot and Aerostich Transit. I do like the nubuk type leather.

good information

My understanding is that the leather is water repellent via some type of treatment but the Atlantis 3 had optional gore-tex liners to make it waterproof (although the leather itself could get wet depending on the level of water repellent left in the leather). The 4 has a permanent waterproof liner laminated to the leather that makes it waterproof all the time. The water repellent aspect of the leather is similar to the 3. The advantage of the laminated liner is that it is less "blousy" than a zip in liner and the leather tends to get less wet and dry quicker. It is similar in concept to the Rukka Lancelot and Aerostich Transit. I do like the nubuk type leather.

If that's true, the "4" would be less usefull in warmer climates. That's the big knock of the Aerostich overalls, they're hot. I'd go for the Atlantis 3 or earlier, if he's correct.

Agree on the problem in hot weather. I have the BMW SG2 suit which has laminated Armacor (laminated with Gore-Tex XCR supposedly the most breathable of the various types of Gore-Tex. When it's really hot that breathability means squat. Waterproof and breathable are pretty much mutually exclusive terms.) I haven't seen the Atlantis 4 suit but the Rukka and Aerostitch leathers are perforated (smaller perforations than the perforations on a typical perforated jacket like a Vanson) which adds a level of air movement while still remaining waterproof. Good Luck in your search. Whatever you I would be interested in your impressions.

Back