• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Staying in shape

I guess our 1400' elevations yesterday in the rolling hills were a little mild compared to pass climbing.:bow Yeah, skinny tires at 130 psi are better than wide and 30!

KIMG0996.jpg

H and Anne finishing

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

H and ol' me

H has the pedalin' fever, so we did this ride from the LBJ Ranch National Park near Fredericksburg,TX with one of her co workers.I only decided to go the night before and dawn came a bit early.
It was 37°F as we parked on the runway...but it warmed nicely by the first hour.First big event of the year and lot's of folks. Met a gal who comes from Vancouver Island the last four years to ride the area. No snow, but lot's of wildflowers.
Crazy first mile as I pointed and flapped my arm to warn of the deer crossing the road for the folks behind and the young guy behind me several yards was not looking ahead...the deer broadsided him at full gallop , taking the rider into the grass. He was quickly attended to as it happened in front of park rangers, luckily youth and flexible body saved him from worse results. Man, what a noise we heard at impact. I was warmed and awake after that. :eek

Then I saw this guy and thought how far the technology has evolved:thumb

KIMG0997(1).jpg

Ahhh those were the days. I remember when competing cycling used to be my thing. 1983-1990. Had to sell my bike and other things to pay the bills when I got married. I think it would probably do me good to get back on a bike without a motor. Passed a couple of cyclists on my ride with Ellie today. I really need to get in shape.

Ahhh those were the days. I remember when competing cycling used to be my thing. 1983-1990. Had to sell my bike and other things to pay the bills when I got married. I think it would probably do me good to get back on a bike without a motor. Passed a couple of cyclists on my ride with Ellie today. I really need to get in shape.

The first time I crossed paths with H was many years before we officially met...she was on her HD and looked over as the light changed...said " Hey, Get a Motor!"

I watched the blonde on a faster bike disappear quickly:laugh

The first time I crossed paths with H was many years before we officially met...she was on her HD and looked over as the light changed...said " Hey, Get a Motor!"

I watched the blonde on a faster bike disappear quickly:laugh

Sounds like you were smitten.

My exercise routine is to do one sit-up a day.
Yep, in morning when I wake up I do one half. And at night when I go to bed I do the other half.

And I know I need to do something about that. Going for a 2 hour ride is tiring, and I can tell in about half hour that some muscles are getting more exercise than normal. I know that is bad.

Dave

But it also seems that some folks get next to nothing positive from exercise/activity ? A neighbor of mine walks EVERYDAY 2-3 mile route , as he says,..."my belly is bigger than ever"

I myself became interested in fitness years ago when I became interested in amateur boxing. I stayed with the training/fitness for years , still do in a more limited manner. But somewhere along the way the ol' body stopped responding to it. My weight is up, I take a low dose BP pill, and Arthritis has just about consumed me .........."use it or loose it" is not an absolute..:(

But it also seems that some folks get next to nothing positive from exercise/activity ? A neighbor of mine walks EVERYDAY 2-3 mile route , as he says,..."my belly is bigger than ever"

I myself became interested in fitness years ago when I became interested in amateur boxing. I stayed with the training/fitness for years , still do in a more limited manner. But somewhere along the way the ol' body stopped responding to it. My weight is up, I take a low dose BP pill, and Arthritis has just about consumed me .........."use it or loose it" is not an absolute..:(

Everybody's metabolism is different and responds in kind.
I notice I have to watch what and how much I eat has more effect than how much I exercise.
I typically add weight around Thanksgiving thru New Years with all the socializing eating too much opportunities.
Once I gain my self control back and cut the processed sugars and sugary starches. ..bye bye french fries on a regular basis chased by a Coke...The pounds start
receding fairly quickly.

The higher level of fast paced exercise, working on our property maintenance on 6
acres, hiking, fast paced walks trying to keep up with H, and cycling seriously has me craving a lot of calories. It's the
hardest part of self control. I justify the Oreos by riding a few extra miles. ..not the
best reasoning, but I do my best.

For the riding motorcycles side, one really should be working on a fitness level to at
least be able to pick the bike up and maybe push it out of dangerous conditions...or
have AAA and phone service or a buddy tagging along. Doesn't get any easier for sure.

Last edited:
Everybody's metabolism is different and responds in kind.
I notice I have to watch what and how much I eat has more effect than how much I exercise.
I typically add weight around Thanksgiving thru New Years with all the socializing eating too much opportunities.
Once I gain my self control back and cut the processed sugars and sugary starches. ..bye bye french fries on a regular basis chased by a Coke...The pounds start receding fairly quickly.
The higher level of fast paced exercise, working on our property maintenance on 6 acres, hiking, fast paced walks trying to keep up with H, and cycling seriously has me craving a lot of calories. It's the hardest part of self control. I justify the Oreos by riding a few extra miles. ..not the best reasoning, but I do my best.

For the riding motorcycles side, one really should be working on a fitness level to at least be able to pick the bike up and maybe push it out of dangerous conditions...or have AAA and phone service or a buddy tagging along. Doesn't get any easier for sure.

"Everybody's metabolism is different and responds in kind.".........

So very true. And mine has changed something ridiculous ! If you saw what i eat [my daily diet] and looked at me you'd say WTF !! To shorten a bit, just a hint......I have not eaten deep fried food , or red meat in 15 years...{I do eat ground Buffalo on rare occasion} Back then I was told I had an elevated cholesterol level [276] So....I adopted a healthier approach. Quit smoking, dropped all deep fried, red meat, added sugar, and reduced alcohol . I put on 40+ pounds over the years, and no matter how much I exercise, and continue to maintain my diet.......the extra pounds just won't go......damn frustrating :( And yes i do practice portion control.

"Everybody's metabolism is different and responds in kind.".........

So very true. And mine has changed something ridiculous ! If you saw what i eat [my daily diet] and looked at me you'd say WTF !! To shorten a bit, just a hint......I have not eaten deep fried food , or red meat in 15 years...{I do eat ground Buffalo on rare occasion} Back then I was told I had an elevated cholesterol level [276] So....I adopted a healthier approach. Quit smoking, dropped all deep fried, red meat, added sugar, and reduced alcohol . I put on 40+ pounds over the years, and no matter how much I exercise, and continue to maintain my diet.......the extra pounds just won't go......damn frustrating :( And yes i do practice portion control.

You mention fried foods and red meat, but no mention of reducing or eliminating carbs in your diet. For most people, carbs are what really put on the weight and eliminating them will definitely help you lose pounds.

Ron, just tying to be helpful here, but I've always had "high cholesterol" 200+ my whole life, even in my 20's as a ranger, triathlete, etc. up until relatively recently doctors started looking at the ratio verses the overal number. My opinion, just my opinion carbs, like Larry mentioned could be more problematic health wise the cholesterol if cholesterol is managed in the right ratios. 15 years ago I still had flight surgeons telling me my cholesterol was too high. Today, they have changed their tune quite a bit. I would focus on healthy cholesterol like avacados, fish and chicken.

My belly these days comes from the carbs in beer. Beer, evil beer.

Oh, and I was also able to lower my cholesterol with an over the counter supplement, red yeast rice. Brought me down about 10 points on my last flight physical, I'll see if that holds this year as I just went in my window for my annual.

Ron, just tying to be helpful here, but I've always had "high cholesterol" 200+ my whole life, even in my 20's as a ranger, triathlete, etc. up until relatively recently doctors started looking at the ratio verses the overal number. My opinion, just my opinion carbs, like Larry mentioned could be more problematic health wise the cholesterol if cholesterol is managed in the right ratios. 15 years ago I still had flight surgeons telling me my cholesterol was too high. Today, they have changed their tune quite a bit. I would focus on healthy cholesterol like avacados, fish and chicken.

My belly these days comes from the carbs in beer. Beer, evil beer.

Thank you, and i agree with you & Larry both........but I did that as well. Dropped all bread , no beer for several months now...no change. With the help of [now] a low dose statin...my cholesterol is 112 . My Triglycerides are good, BP near perfect....just can't loose the damn weight. I still believe in and actually like exercise, but IMO overall 'activity' is just as important ? And that has diminished due to arthritis . It hurts less to do targeted / supported exercise , than to walk out & get the mail....but, again opinion,... I believe we need both ?

I can't see me living on narcotics . Which may mean ? giving up motorcycles.......and that is already having an emotional effect on me.

I'm looking into , and have had some prolotherapy treatments . So far not much help . If I can't get some relief in the next year or so ? Guess I'll put the motorcycles up for sale.

I'm looking into , and have had some prolotherapy treatments . So far not much help . If I can't get some relief in the next year or so ? Guess I'll put the motorcycles up for sale.

I don't know what prolotherapy treatments are but I hope they work. Here's wishing you all the best that you may continue to ride pain free, or at the least pain reduced.

I don't know what prolotherapy treatments are but I hope they work. Here's wishing you all the best that you may continue to ride pain free, or at the least pain reduced.

Thanks again......

Rather than me bore you & ?? with my half baked explanation . Google it {if you're interested} Actually I'd welcome your opinion on it....

I guess our 1400' elevations yesterday in the rolling hills were a little mild compared to pass climbing.:bow..

It's the highest in Canada: :D

Garage shots and Leica 09 072.jpg

Nice pics of your LBJ ride! We'll have to come and stay at your B & B sometime; it looks like fun.

Last edited:
Thanks again......

Rather than me bore you & ?? with my half baked explanation . Google it {if you're interested} Actually I'd welcome your opinion on it....

I googled it. In my opinion it couldn't hurt to try. Ironically, I just watched a piece on the news about runners getting Botox injections I think it was, in order to alleviate knee pain, which overall seems like a similar healing approach. And last year I had an injection in my left hand to break up the dupitrins contracture going to my pinki.

Medicine these days good and only getting better. Best of luck Ron. If you get the therapy and have success with it in the riding department, let us know.

I googled it. In my opinion it couldn't hurt to try. Ironically, I just watched a piece on the news about runners getting Botox injections I think it was, in order to alleviate knee pain, which overall seems like a similar healing approach. And last year I had an injection in my left hand to break up the dupitrins contracture going to my pinki.

Medicine these days good and only getting better. Best of luck Ron. If you get the therapy and have success with it in the riding department, let us know.

Well, that was my approach, can't hurt to try...[well actually the injections aren't pleasant] But yes there are many injection approaches. Botox,Glucosamine, PRP [platelet rich plasma] & Stem cell . Stem Cell is my next step when they feel the joints are ready....for sure if it works I will post about it.

Well, that was my approach, can't hurt to try...[well actually the injections aren't pleasant] But yes there are many injection approaches. Botox,Glucosamine, PRP [platelet rich plasma] & Stem cell . Stem Cell is my next step when they feel the joints are ready....for sure if it works I will post about it.

One other thought, Ron. Have you ever exercised with a heart rate monitor? Just trying to be helpful, but I have friends who also exercise and don't understand why they can't lose weight. The fact is, they don't raise their heart rate adequately so their bodies are maximizing how many calories are being burned during their exercise periods. Ultimately, the body will lose weight when its burning more calories than its taking in. What is sometimes difficult to understand is just how much activity it takes to burn up what you're taking in. Moderate + exercise burns about 100 calories per hour..about the number of calories you get from drinking one light beer. Yeah, those calories add up fast and can be very difficult to burn off. Having a clear idea of exactly how many calories you're taking in is a good starting point.

Using a heart rate monitor ensures you're maximizing the impact of your exercise within the limitations of your fitness level. Most people find when they first start hitting their target heart rate, it can be difficult to maintain for an hour...this gives you an idea of just how challenging it is to lose weight. With your joint issues, you'll want to try low impact exercise, such as biking or rowing. The whole objective is to get the heart rate up and there are many alternatives to getting that accomplished that can be easier on your body.

One other thought, Ron. Have you ever exercised with a heart rate monitor? Just trying to be helpful, but I have friends who also exercise and don't understand why they can't lose weight. The fact is, they don't raise their heart rate adequately so their bodies are maximizing how many calories are being burned during their exercise periods. Ultimately, the body will lose weight when its burning more calories than its taking in. What is sometimes difficult to understand is just how much activity it takes to burn up what you're taking in. Moderate + exercise burns about 100 calories per hour..about the number of calories you get from drinking one light beer. Yeah, those calories add up fast and can be very difficult to burn off. Having a clear idea of exactly how many calories you're taking in is a good starting point.

Using a heart rate monitor ensures you're maximizing the impact of your exercise within the limitations of your fitness level. Most people find when they first start hitting their target heart rate, it can be difficult to maintain for an hour...this gives you an idea of just how challenging it is to lose weight. With your joint issues, you'll want to try low impact exercise, such as biking or rowing. The whole objective is to get the heart rate up and there are many alternatives to getting that accomplished that can be easier on your body.

Well....I'm not trying to start a pissin contest over it but ! That is not an absolute with every one. Yes I have weighed portions , calculated calories , and for a while did use a heart monitor. Much of it [weight management] is genetic and dependent on personal metabolic rate, & much of that is controlled by the thyroid .

Yes I know you are trying to be helpful & I do appreciate it. But I have researched this so damn much, that I have come to the conclusion that in some cases there is nothing can be done about it. Even my doc says surgical intervention is no guarantee ? If your body just does not cooperate ? Then it just doesn't.

I do the low impact exercising...[ie] rowing , and supported weight lifting / resistance training....and will stick with it. Who knows ? my body may go through yet another change ? and start responding positively ? Trouble being....the ol' clock keeps tickin'...:)

Back