• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

75 year old noob

billdor

I have just bought a new to me 2006 R1150R with 9,000 Km. I will be picking it up on Saturday. Are there any special things that I should be checking for before riding it any distance? I understand that all of the fluids have just been changed, but it is on the original tires so I will be installing new ones, they are not badly worn but feel very hard. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Me too

I have just bought a new to me 2006 R1150R with 9,000 Km. I will be picking it up on Saturday. Are there any special things that I should be checking for before riding it any distance? I understand that all of the fluids have just been changed, but it is on the original tires so I will be installing new ones, they are not badly worn but feel very hard. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

billdor, I to purchased an 1150r last November. I really love the bike but as I purchased I was surprised not to be supplied with service records. As a result I rode it very little at first, took stock of the how the bike rode and in the spring did a full 24000 mile service. If you find any weather checking on the tires I would look to replace them before riding any distance. Older tires tend to wear faster and are prone to puncture. Doing the service myself I gained a better understanding of the bike, replaced dried up hardened rubber gromets, and was able to tune out the surging the single spark bikes were prone to. My bike had a failure with the HES. I'm not sure, but by 2006 they had corrected the defect. Good luck, keep your wheels down and enjoy a really cool machine.

Welcome to the forum.

The title of your post suggests that you are either 75 yrs old and never ridden before, or that you are 75 yrs old and only now joining the forum. I hope it is the latter, because opting to ride a 2-wheeler for the first time at that tender age is weird and dangerous. If you are a noob to riding, please take a safety course ASAP.

BTW, I am a similar age to you and the joys of riding a motorcycle have barely waned in all the years I have been doing this. I wish you all the good luck in the world.

Sounds to me that this gent is 75 years “young”.
Nice bike you have there and with such low mileage should give you good reliable service.
Enjoy and ride safe. Yes, new tires for sure but you already know that. :thumb

Edit: there’s a free service manual available on line for your specific model. PDF Format so you can easily add it to your ipad or whatever you’re using. google is your friend.

Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find this is a great group of guys who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with you. I bought an R1150RT a couple years ago and have picked up plenty of tips and recommendations from this group along the way.

As you’re considering a set of new tires, I recommend you look in to a set of Metzler Roadtec 01’s. I installed a set last year and have been very impressed with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

The title of your post suggests that you are either 75 yrs old and never ridden before, or that you are 75 yrs old and only now joining the forum. I hope it is the latter, because opting to ride a 2-wheeler for the first time at that tender age is weird and dangerous. If you are a noob to riding, please take a safety course ASAP.

BTW, I am a similar age to you and the joys of riding a motorcycle have barely waned in all the years I have been doing this. I wish you all the good luck in the world.

Actually both I just turned 76 in August and I started riding last year so this is now the end of my second season. I took a safety course this spring and I have a friend (mentor) that has been riding for a long time and has helped me considerably. I do not post a lot but I joined BMWMOA last year and have learned a lot from these forums. This is already my 3rd Bike. I started with a 250 Ninja, then a Vulcan 500 followed by a K75 and now the 1150R This June I did a 2000KM trip on the K75 and enjoyed it immensely. I truly believe that the danger involved in riding is due mainly to a persons riding style, not his age. I have over 4,000,000 miles of driving under my belt in cars and trucks and have not had an accident. I believe in defensive driving and I focus a long way ahead on the road and try to anticipate what other drivers are going to do. I also slow down and pay a lot of attention in intersections. I always cringe when I see people bombing through without care or attention just because they have the right of way or green light.

Thanks for your caring and good luck wishes.

Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find this is a great group of guys who are willing to share their knowledge and experience with you. I bought an R1150RT a couple years ago and have picked up plenty of tips and recommendations from this group along the way.

As you’re considering a set of new tires, I recommend you look in to a set of Metzler Roadtec 01’s. I installed a set last year and have been very impressed with them.

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried to get the Metzlers but my supplier was out of them so I ended up with Pirelli Scorpions which are an 80/20 type and may be a little safer for the odd time I run into some gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried to get the Metzlers but my supplier was out of them so I ended up with Pirelli Scorpions which are an 80/20 type and may be a little safer for the odd time I run into a bit of gravel.

I truly believe that the danger involved in riding is due mainly to a persons riding style, not his age. I have over 4,000,000 miles of driving under my belt in cars and trucks and have not had an accident. I believe in defensive driving and I focus a long way ahead on the road and try to anticipate what other drivers are going to do. I also slow down and pay a lot of attention in intersections. I always cringe when I see people bombing through without care or attention just because they have the right of way or green light.

Sounds like you've found the key to safety on two wheels. I'm slightly younger than you and hope to keep riding on two wheels as long as I'm able.

newb

Actually both I just turned 76 in August and I started riding last year so this is now the end of my second season. I took a safety course this spring and I have a friend (mentor) that has been riding for a long time and has helped me considerably. I do not post a lot but I joined BMWMOA last year and have learned a lot from these forums. This is already my 3rd Bike. I started with a 250 Ninja, then a Vulcan 500 followed by a K75 and now the 1150R This June I did a 2000KM trip on the K75 and enjoyed it immensely. I truly believe that the danger involved in riding is due mainly to a persons riding style, not his age. I have over 4,000,000 miles of driving under my belt in cars and trucks and have not had an accident. I believe in defensive driving and I focus a long way ahead on the road and try to anticipate what other drivers are going to do. I also slow down and pay a lot of attention in intersections. I always cringe when I see people bombing through without care or attention just because they have the right of way or green light.

so glad to have you riding. most people start slowing down with new ventures at much much younger years. And here you are enjoying life.

Much respect to you sir!

Congratulations! I’m just a kid of 70, but I enjoy riding as much as ever. BTW, I noticed your reference to a trip in KM. Where are you located?

I am in Calgary Alberta Canada and we are metrificated here (kilometers) unfortunately.

Howdy Billdor and welcome to the Forum. It's great to hear you're still taking on new adventures and good on ya for doing so!

I'd like to invite you to join us at the Bee Cee Beemers Nakusp Hotsprings Rally next August where you can join a couple hundred BMW riders in one of the nicest small towns in BC. Happens every 3rd weekend of August each year and it's a really nice ride over the Crowsnest Pass and into the Kootenays from where you live. Mark it in your calendar; I'm sure you'll have a great time.
More info here: https://beeceebeemers.com/index.php/rally/

At age 75 I think being considered a noob is a bit misleading. How about being known as "New Old Stock"? :thumb

Are you one of those "Alberta Clippers" that comes roaring down I-5 while evidently miscalculating the conversion of miles to kilometers? By the way the convesion is, miles times 1.6, not times 16. :) Welcome. We live 7 miles of I-15 north of Helena.

Howdy Billdor and welcome to the Forum. It's great to hear you're still taking on new adventures and good on ya for doing so!

I'd like to invite you to join us at the Bee Cee Beemers Nakusp Hotsprings Rally next August where you can join a couple hundred BMW riders in one of the nicest small towns in BC. Happens every 3rd weekend of August each year and it's a really nice ride over the Crowsnest Pass and into the Kootenays from where you live. Mark it in your calendar; I'm sure you'll have a great time.
More info here: https://beeceebeemers.com/index.php/rally/

Hey Happy
Thanks for the invite, You just might see me there next year. I was very tempted to go this year but I had just done a trip to Creston, Nelson and Coerdelane (how do you spell that?) a few weeks before and to save a divorce I decided to miss it.
Bill

At age 75 I think being considered a noob is a bit misleading. How about being known as "New Old Stock"? :thumb

Are you one of those "Alberta Clippers" that comes roaring down I-5 while evidently miscalculating the conversion of miles to kilometers? By the way the convesion is, miles times 1.6, not times 16. :) Welcome. We live 7 miles of I-15 north of Helena.

Hi Ak
I have been down I-15 many times by car and Motor home but not by bike (yet). I could never get up to 60x16 no matter how hard I tried. Sometime I will tell you about my first experience in Helena.
Bill

Thats me but I have never been able to get quite up to 60x16 in my Mo-Ho

I'm 61 and a half, and the 2nd thing I do now to a used bike is change tires that are older than 5 years, no matter what they look like. The 1st is make sure the brakes work properly.
Bill

...the 2nd thing I do now to a used bike is change tires that are older than 5 years, no matter what they look like.

Bill

A 2010 study done for NTSB found a "...dramatic increase in (tire) failures after six years" even if lightly used. The most likely failure mode was catastrophic delamination / tread separation, leading to loss of control, flipping & rolling, etc. Evidently radials have additional longevity challenges due to their internal configuration.

The study didn't include motorcycle tires, but indicated that tires of styles & types the manufacturer didn't think would be in service that long were likely to contain fewer expensive anti-aging additive compounds, making them more likely to fail earlier. I'm betting that would include motorcycle tires. Doubly so, given that the study indicates that higher-heat uses are likely to fail even sooner. I know my bike tires can get pretty hot if I've picked the right roads.

I recently learned this the hard way, fortunately not on a motorcycle, but at speed, about 0.1 mile into the beginning of a 2-mile-long freeway bridge with no shoulder, at rush hour, on 7-year-old tires with only about 15,00 miles on them. Anybody know how to iron pucker creases out of car upholstery?

Yup that could have been me.

Back