• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alternative GPS mount

lstayner

I have been considering adding a RAM ball to the snap in dust cover over the GPS mount on my 2018 RT. Has anyone tried this? It looks like I can drill holes through the cover and not encroach on the protective ring around the bikes electronic plugin.

I will not own a Garmin GPS again after my last expensive experience. My plan is to use my Iphone with one of several GPS apps that I have.

I think a better option is RAM® Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Ball Base Part# RAM-B-309-1U - please double check the thread

Jay

I think a better option is RAM® Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Ball Base Part# RAM-B-309-1U - please double check the thread

Jay

I have one of those already. I will be installing the Ilium risers this weekend and may end up doing something different anyway. The only reason I am considering this is to get my phone in my direct eye line and hopefully a little less refection from the sun.

Consider removing the GPS mount from the bar and replacing it with a a mount specifically made for a smart phone. Cleaner look and likely more durable than using the dust cover. I have not looked, but I suspect that the GPS sub-harness plugs in somewhere that you can access without too much work.

This setup works for me. A hard shell case and industrial strength hook-and-loop adhesive material are all you need. Take care not to mount the case too high, as there will be conflict with the charging cable. Using Google Maps continuously, I find the phone will very slowly discharge but still allow 400-500 miles of use. The charge cable runs to the USB cable in the R storage pocket. I purchased a new dust cover for about twelve bucks to clean up the appearance of the dash when not using the iphone Google Maps setup.

jdukYaW.jpg

This setup works for me. A hard shell case and industrial strength hook-and-loop adhesive material are all you need. Take care not to mount the case too high, as there will be conflict with the charging cable. Using Google Maps continuously, I find the phone will very slowly discharge but still allow 400-500 miles of use. The charge cable runs to the USB cable in the R storage pocket. I purchased a new dust cover for about twelve bucks to clean up the appearance of the dash when not using the iphone Google Maps setup.

jdukYaW.jpg

I like your idea. I have done this with a garage door opener on another bike. The phone is a bit heavier and I thought it might not hold. That and I have found that Velcro doesn't always like the heat and the glue softens up. Any problems with that yet?

I've only used this on one 2k ride. The iphone/case combination is very light and doesn't put much stress on the velcro or adhesive. I did use a product advertised as maximum strength and not really suitable for applications which require frequent separation of the hook and loop material. It requires some effort to detach the case from the dust cover, and even more to peel the velcro from any smooth and hard surface. I didn't fell it necessary, but some sort of retention system could easily be placed using a zip tie.

I will not own a Garmin GPS again after my last expensive experience. My plan is to use my Iphone with one of several GPS apps that I have.

Can I get the cliff note version on the Garmin issues, please? I've got 3 of them & they've all done well for me.

Can I get the cliff note version on the Garmin issues, please? I've got 3 of them & they've all done well for me.

I got a Garmin motorcycle GPS for Christmas. I mounted the permanent cradle and wired it up the way it is supposed to be. The GPS wouldn't maintain a charge for more than a couple of hours no matter what I did. I contacted Garmin and they had me send it in for repair. I received the refurbished unit and the same problem existed. The unit I have has the "head of a pin" electrical contacts for electrical contact. I triple checked them to make sure they were making contact. After working on it several times, I gave up in frustration. When you pay over $700 for a unit that is designed so poorly, it makes you think again before you buy the brand.

I have used my Iphone for several trips and have decided that it works as well as the Garmin unit did. I have a bluetooth dongle attached to the bike AUX input and listen to directions through the speakers. I haven't had any success connecting a phone to my Sena bluetooth helmet intercom. My wife and I keep the intercom channel open all the time for conversation and the GPS tends to lock up the Sena after a couple of GPS directions. Having to shut down the Sena units and restart are a pain in the behind.

If I go to a stand alone GPS, it will be a TomTom motorcycle unit. 95% of the time I have my route memorized or written down for quick reference on the bike anyway.

Back