• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 75/5 Lower Triple Tree Bearing - Removal

b25bsaboy

Good afternoon,

Finished the final strip down of the 1972 BMW R75/5. Now the reconstruction begins, as I haven’t found any really catastrophic Friday afternoon surprise!

The lower triple tree bearing needs to be removed be be cleaned and inspected. Is there any way of doing this without destroying the whole assembly?

Approaches that come to mind:

- special puller...I think Cycleworks has one
- spot weld on the lower race...supposedly just falls off at that point
- Dremel into the race part way, then split with cold chisel. Kind of destructive and prone to possible mistakes.

I have and use the Cylce Works Puller. It's not without it's challenges and a bit of a learning curve as the instructions have been photo copied way too many times and are for a previous version of the tool but it does work!

I cannot recall if the /5 has the protective thin metal cup under the lower bearing but probably does. This will get destroyed and you need a new one no matter if using new or re installing the used bearings. Personally if I go to the trouble of pulling the old ones out I just replace them. This is rewarded by improved handling most of the time!

I have and use the Cylce Works Puller. It's not without it's challenges and a bit of a learning curve as the instructions have been photo copied way too many times and are for a previous version of the tool but it does work!

I cannot recall if the /5 has the protective thin metal cup under the lower bearing but probably does. This will get destroyed and you need a new one no matter if using new or re installing the used bearings. Personally if I go to the trouble of pulling the old ones out I just replace them. This is rewarded by improved handling most of the time!

After further inspecting I agree in that both bearings will be replaced.

Agree with Kurt, in that When I had to take the bearing races out of the Triumph or Norton Engines, used to run a bead (electrode) at a 45 degree angle, wait ten minutes and the race 9 times out of 10 fell out.

Back