• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Software Update

afmeyer

Recently, I received a notice from BMW about a campaign to update the software on my 2015 R1200RT. I was told by the dealer that it is supposed to improve the shifting from 1->2 and 2->3. I do not have shift assist on my bike and wonder how the shifting, which I think is very clunky, can be improved. Does anyone know what this is about?
Andy

Software update -shift assist

I had the update a couple of weeks ago. Using the assisted shift in lower gears was primitive at best before the update. A lot of jerks and bumps. It always worked well in 4-5-6 shifts. The update improved it a little, I still wouldn't use it in first and second but it works better in third-fourth shifts. You won't see any difference without shift assist pro.
Ron

Software update

Just got bike back from dealer for annual service and they did dme update campaign and replaced multi switch under warranty. Now, instead of digital speedometer when the sound is switched off I'm just getting the RT that used to just appear at start up. Is the digital speedometer function no longer available?

Just got bike back from dealer for annual service and they did dme update campaign and replaced multi switch under warranty. Now, instead of digital speedometer when the sound is switched off I'm just getting the RT that used to just appear at start up. Is the digital speedometer function no longer available?

Check the owner's manual - I am sure there is an option for that. The update probably set a bunch of options to the factory defaults.

Yes, see the later item on the User Menu: Background. Choose Speedo as your option. Page 51 near the upper right corner.

And welcome to the forum!
Gary

Software update

Thanks for info and for the welcome. Worked like a charm!
Seems like the update improved the shifting, but only got in a quick ride from the dealer, so not sure. Loved it anyway.! Thanks again.

Thanks for info and for the welcome. Worked like a charm!
Seems like the update improved the shifting, but only got in a quick ride from the dealer, so not sure. Loved it anyway.! Thanks again.

I wish some of these features were explained a bit more in the manual. It is too easy to miss these things and almost impossible to find out what to do when things change.

I am happy your problem has been fixed.

Interestingly I had the software update Friday and had that same exact issue. Eventually I figured it out. Make sure the radio is turned completely off. Then scroll to settings/user/display and set it to speedo.

Interestingly I had the software update Friday and had that same exact issue. Eventually I figured it out. Make sure the radio is turned completely off. Then scroll to settings/user/display and set it to speedo.

Ahh I see someone beat me to it. It's not specified in the manual. I mean the manual tells how to change settings but doesn't explain all the settings that can be changed.

And I can't tell any different with the upgrade, but I don't have shift assist.

I recently had the software update done. I do not have shift assist and the update did seem to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shift much smoother, no clunk.

Got the software update too, and improve shifting for sure! Dont have shift assist on my 15' GSA.

Back