• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

74 R90/6 Project

She's looking mighty sweet! I might get some wiring tips from you when mine gets that far. Did you replace the harnesses?

It is so encouraging to see you, and others, restore these machines. I cannot wait to see the final product.

R90/6

She's looking mighty sweet! I might get some wiring tips from you when mine gets that far. Did you replace the harnesses?

the harness is in pretty good shape, so I will re-use it and repair the damaged sections. I will be sure to provide images of the wiring.

harness

the harness is in pretty good shape, so I will re-use it and repair the damaged sections. I will be sure to provide images of the wiring.

Here is the entire wiring harness laid out. If you don't have to remove the wires from the headlight shell, It's a lot easier. Pretty much plug and play, but I labeled them anyway.

wire.jpg

Good deal on the harness. On my ‘74 R90 project, I’ve gotta complete new wiring harness. The bike was modified with a Windjammer then converted back to kind of original. So a lot of wire chopping was extensive. So the new harness to to keep it simple for me. :type

Good deal on the harness. On my ‘74 R90 project, I’ve gotta complete new wiring harness. The bike was modified with a Windjammer then converted back to kind of original. So a lot of wire chopping was extensive. So the new harness to to keep it simple for me. :type

Where did you go for your replacement harness(es)? I am probably going with Euro Moto Electric but I wanted to see what else is out there.

Eme

I just finished replacing ALL the wiring on my 84 RT, I got the replacement harnesses from EME. They are a great company to deal with, and boy did it make things a lot easier. While I didn't have the chopped up previous owner wiring, I had major corrosion and age problems.

It is so nice to work with wiring in a properly made harness that exactly matches BMW wiring diagrams. Oh yes, do yourself a favor and purchase the excellent large laminated color diagrams EME sells for your bike, they are well worth it not only for rewiring but in the long run for any trouble shooting.

The down side of the new harnesses is they don't come with an easy to way to deal with the jumping snakes mess inside the headlight shell, LOL. Big hands like mine with poor vision like mine, made it a challenge to work in the small space with so many wires.

The project is looking very nice indeed. It is going to be a lot of fun to ride. St.

I just finished replacing ALL the wiring on my 84 RT, I got the replacement harnesses from EME. They are a great company to deal with, and boy did it make things a lot easier. While I didn't have the chopped up previous owner wiring, I had major corrosion and age problems.

Good to know. Brook Reams also replaced his harnesses with EME. I agree with the kudos also for customer support. Since Norm took over, I am a loyal customer because of their level of service.

I have the age issue as well as the previous owners' various chop work to contend with. It will be nice to have stock wiring and no extra farkles.

Helping

Yes, I have started to call it previous owner disease, I am helping a new to airhead fellow out now with a 76 R75/6, A nice bike and thankfully in fairly good shape but inflicted with previous owner disease. LOL, I made my rant the other day on the forum regarding this terrible disease. So far, no one has commented as I think most of the people on this forum are not guilty of spreading the blight. St.

Wiring Harness ‘74 R90/6

6ECE978B-249F-4869-BC5F-ECEB5D5EFDDC.jpeg
4F541432-56B8-4F9C-93F2-59B8FBC646D8.jpeg
I purchased it at BMW of Chicago back in 2007. Back when they were in business, they had big discounts on parts. Found the bag not the invoice. Pretty pricy back then even with the discount.

bars and tins

This is not a restoration, I'm building it for me so you will see some things that are not correct. This is HD Billiard Blue. I got the bars and controls installed. The Dyna ignition module looks like it will have enough clearance under the tank. I plugged in the electrics and everything works except the starter. It was determined that the solenoid is bad, so that's next on the list.

IMG_1087.jpg

Looking good! I'd suggest finding a cooler spot for the Dyna unit. The /6 doesn't have the frame crossbar up front, but it might fit on one of the down tubes. Or maybe fashion something to fit inside the battery covers. The unit needs some airflow.

'Like Button'

Especially for posts such as this, our forum desperately needs a Like Button. Most every other forum has this feature. Wonder what it would take to include it here?

Krauser bags?

Thank you for the kind words. This build is going well and I should have her on the road within a couple weeks. I would like to use the older style Krauser bags that were commonly seen on this bike back in the day. Does anyone know if they will fasten to the mounts shown in the picture? Would I have to buy any hardware for the latches? Thanks to everyone on the forum!

IMG_1108.jpg

Bags

The German company Siebenrock and their American distributor Boxer two Valve are selling the Krauser Classic bags. The nice thing is they are using a much improved latching system now instead of the old style seat belt latch system. From what I have seen on either website, they look to have all you need to mount a set of bags on the racks you have installed.

Both companies return emails and are great to deal with. Perhaps if you sent an email with a picture attached of your racks, they would be able to check to see if they can fix you up. St.

Back