• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'98 K1200RS Seat Moves, How to Make it Less Movey

goneregret

Hello, my seat moves around and I would like it to feel solid. How can I make it happen?

I have a 1998 K1200RS with a stock seat. If I set the seat in it's lower grooves it doesn't move. Unfortunately that setting feels cramped for me (I'm 6 feet tall). When I set the seat in the higher grooves it moves around and doesn't feel secure. Is there any way to make the seat hold firm to the bike when at the taller setting?

Thanks.

Not sure what might be going on with your seat. I've had several K12s, always use the higher seat position, and never had a seat move on me.
Only time I saw any movement it was telling me that I hadn't properly latched the rear hook that locks the seat in place.
If that is not your issue, I'd recommend you check the seat/frame contact points to see where the play is occurring. Is something cracked, broken or worn?

Not sure what might be going on with your seat. I've had several K12s, always use the higher seat position, and never had a seat move on me.
Only time I saw any movement it was telling me that I hadn't properly latched the rear hook that locks the seat in place.

We had two K1200RSs and you had to hold your tongue just right when moving the seat to the high position.
If you did not get it right, the seat would move.
Unfortunately I do not remember the correct procedure.

On my K12GT I find it easiest to latch the seat when standing behind the bike. I locate the front groove while sliding the seat fore/aft to feel the rear loop settling into position on the latch. Then while holding the seat with both hands, a quick snap push down and forward snaps everything into place. Works for me, anyway, and I always run with seat in upper position.
Best,
DG

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was able to stabilize the seat quite a bit. On the front bar mount I took out the socket head bots and replaced them with longer bolts and 4 washers on each side. That made the front mount wider and now the front of the seat does not move. The back of the seat still moves. It seems the little metal posts are far too small for the notches in the seat. I'm wondering if there were originally rubber bumpers on the back seat mount posts?

Yes, the horizontal metal rods have rubber sleeves (52 53 2 309 507) on them. I keep them in stock because they are frequently missing.

Back