• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photos: Free Association COMMENTARY

Marchyman, what kind of mount is that for your V-1??

It was a RAM mount. I got tired of being alerted every time I passed a shopping center and removed the V-1 a while ago. Lets see...

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/other_mounts_ram.html

scroll down about 1/2 way to GRSP3H (which is actually the Street Pilot 3 Handlebar) mount. Now picture velcro all over the round part with the other half of the velcro stuck to the bottom of the V1. Wiping both the mount and the V1 with an alcohol swap then letting it dry helps make the velcro adhesive stick. It stayed stuck for many years before I got fed up and removed it. (The CHP did not need radar to issue me the only ticket I've received on the GS :whistle).

For mounting to the thin rail on the GS I added GRAHA: RAM Crossbar Adapter for GRAH... see http://www.cycoactive.com/ram/parts.html about half way down the page again.

Now back to talk about pictures.

That's what I like. The closeup of wildflowers with the mountain backdrop -- everything is in reasonable focus.

I can't stand the shallow DOF shots that are all the rage . My eyes don't see that way and I don't want my camera to record that way. I find it's not as easy to get around the problem (what I consider a problem) with digital cameras as it was with film cameras. And yes, I understand all about aperture and DOF.

Constructive discussion welcome...

Folks use DOF usually to hide distractions.
It also evokes a 'soft' mood.

My eyes don't see black and white yet I love Ansel Adam's work.

There are times and places for all effects.

That's what I like. The closeup of wildflowers with the mountain backdrop -- everything is in reasonable focus.

I can't stand the shallow DOF shots that are all the rage . My eyes don't see that way and I don't want my camera to record that way. I find it's not as easy to get around the problem (what I consider a problem) with digital cameras as it was with film cameras. And yes, I understand all about aperture and DOF.

Constructive discussion welcome...

That was taken with an early generation Digital, or "film less" camera as many refereed to them in the late 90's.

That was a shot from a Nikon Coolpix 950. 2.1 MP. Before all the software advances, there was a large choice of manual settings for a "pocket" camera. I was stuck on top of a mountain waiting for weather clear and allow me to jump off it on a para-sail. So I had some time to play around and get what I wanted.

I think Brian Peterson in his book "Understanding Exposure" says it well. To paraphrase: Sometimes the photographer wants to tell a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. That calls for narrow apertures and large depth of field. Other times the photographer is looking for a singular theme and uses wide open lenses and very narrow DOF to block distractions. Finally there are times when the photographer doesn't care -- the "f/8 and be there" mantra of old news photographers.

All three methods have their place.

There is no rule that says you have to like what the photographer produces. :)

Last edited:
That's true enough. So is it just me, or are F/22 apertures unavailable on digital cameras?
Tom, given the very short focal length of these lenses, the small size of an f/22 aperture would probably cause severe diffraction problems. Plus, with lenses of those focal lengths, you don't need f/22 for great depth of field. You get it with f/8.

That's true enough. So is it just me, or are F/22 apertures unavailable on digital cameras?

Depends upon the camera, or more properly, the lens and sensor size. A P&S with a 1/3 sensor and a lens focal length of 6 mm will have the same view and DOF as a 35 mm full frame with a 43 mm lens at an aperture of f/29. Those numbers are from the calculator about half way down on this page [cambridgeincolour.com].

f/22 is available on the lens I usually have attached to my Canon digital SLR. However, on that camera an f/16 is the rough equivalent to a 35mm full frame f/22.

Back