• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Texas Hassle......

bigskyrider

I've been riding cross country the past ten days.
I just spent three days in Texas and wow, what a headache.
Dodging all types of crap on I-10, drivers tailgating and driving recklessly.
Hassled by a gang in San Antonio, and the last straw stopped by a Culberson county sheriff 100 miles east of El Paso saying I was going 88 mph......

This is the first time I've been stopped on my bike and the first time in 30 years.
I was going 78 indicated and being passed by a huge number of folks and trucks in excess of 90mph.

Can happen anywhere I suppose?:hungover

Sorry you had issues...it's one of the reasons we AVOID I-10. The US & State highways in TX are so much calmer, though they take a longer route.

Going thru Houston, San Antonio or El Paso is pretty crazy. There are parts of any major city, USA that one should avoid, San Antonio has a few areas I won't roll thru anymore...but that goes for my old stompin' grounds of Houston as well

I had to slab it last Spring to take care of a family emergency and rode thru El Paso on way home from CA...dodging folks going 15 over the limit and junk falling off personal vehicles and NAFTA trucks coming from the south by the scores.
I'll go around the long way the next time and remain sane.

Hope the rest of your travels go better:wave

Thanks....

I'm in Las Cruces tonight, snow forecast in the morning......what an adventure.

Sorry I had to vent, feeling better now with a glass of Chardonnay and a warm room.
I'm totally sold on staying away from the major Interstates from now on.

Thanks for sharing the adventure......not all us Texans are bad. Glad you are safe and in for the night.

Sorry about your Texas experience. I've had one of them experiences in just about every state. This is one way to keep this from happening again. If the road has an "I" in front of it , don't take it. But, if you are in a hurry to get somewhere, there is little other choice. Enjoy your adventure and expect the unexpected.

If you ever get the chance, ride Highway 90 from San Antonio toward El Paso. I try to stay off the slab unless I am forced to get on it. Sorry about your experiences, most Texans are great folks to be around.

I see the problem

I'm in Las Cruces tonight, snow forecast in the morning......what an adventure.

Sorry I had to vent, feeling better now with a glass of Chardonnay and a warm room.
I'm totally sold on staying away from the major Interstates from now on.

Chardonnay drinkers deserve to be treated with such disdain.

Drink Merlot and carry a big gun; life is better that way.

Staying off major highways is definitely the way to travel.

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is as dangerous as any road I have ridden. That includes Africa, South America and even Australia when I was on the wrong side of the road.

I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix is as dangerous as any road I have ridden. That includes Africa, South America and even Australia when I was on the wrong side of the road.

I recall riding that stretch into Tuscon last June riding into a setting sun with a huge sidewind and being swarmed by a never ending train of big rigs which really banged us up untill we put the hammer down and kept our pace 20 mph faster than them. I think it was also +38C at the time as well. We had ridden down highway 191 from Mexican Hat UT that day so were pretty tired but the traffic seemed ver aggressive. Sure made the cold beer that night feel real good once we were in town.

Big City Hassle.....

Down at the River walk on a Saturday night with my wife, very touristy but nice.
We enjoyed visiting the Alamo and eating the local Tex-Mex but .......
there were large groups of young thugs hanging on the street corners near the Alamo and in the mall following us and spewing racial slurs at my wife....a cute caucasion.
Their was a heavy police presence about ten officers on each corner with a paddy wagon...no joke. I guess the idea was to keep the trouble makers away from the river walk but up on the street was different.

I've lived all over the world, grew up in L.A. and hadn't experienced anything like that ever.

Roadside stop.....

I did enjoy this little fella at a popular roadside stop outside of San Antonio.:wave

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 243
While I like merlot........a good, oakey cab will trump both, anyday!:stick

Also hoping the rest of your trip goes well.

Wine is for "girly men". After a long hard ride drink a single malt scotch or single barrel Jack Daniels. It'l make a better rider out of ya at least at the debrief!

Jack

Tango Blasters

Down at the River walk on a Saturday night with my wife, very touristy but nice.
there were large groups of young thugs hanging on the street corners near the Alamo and in the mall following us and spewing racial slurs at my wife....a cute caucasion.
Their was a heavy police presence about ten officers on each corner with a paddy wagon...no joke. I guess the idea was to keep the trouble makers away from the river walk but up on the street was different.

I've lived all over the world, grew up in L.A. and hadn't experienced anything like that ever.

The Tangos pretty much run San Antonio. Be glad you didn't go to Sea World. The gang problem has gotten out of hand in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso. Concealed carry is very popular in Texas.

Sorry you had a bad experience in SA. I've lived here for 60+ years, the wife and I go down to the riverwalk/downtown area every week, and I've never had issues like that.

Perhaps because I use two simple rules.
A) Know what trouble looks like and steer away from it.
B) Tourists attract crime like s*#t attracts flies. When in a touristy area keep your eyes open and remember the first rule.

In short, being a tourist is like riding a motorcycle. You have to pay attention, you should always have an "out" and the best way to avoid danger is to get away from it.

Next time you happen to be in the area contact me and I'll show you the "real" San Antonio.

Back