• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

NASCAR 2013 info thread

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Well it's almost time for the Daytona 500 once again. It's next Sunday the 24th and all goes well, I'll get a chance to watch- or at least have a snooze in the recliner while it's on. I'm not as much a fan of the racing as I am of the mechanical/fabrication technology that goes into putting one of these cars on the track for 500 miles of red-line running. I hope to someday get a chance to poke around one of the engine builders and car builders facility's.
The NASCAR site is http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series.html
The schedule is posted here- http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/schedule.html
It gets a bit confusing as to the Sunday races and the different networks.
So if you enjoy 800hp and 195mph and what it takes to achieve both, stay tuned. With, what it looks like at this time, Danica Patrick on the pole it should be a great race. :burnout OM

Yep, Danica takes the No1 spot at 196.4mph. It's a lot of pressure, I hope she does well :burnout

Yep, Danica takes the No1 spot at 196.4mph. It's a lot of pressure, I hope she does well :burnout

Hadn't looked at much yet...is Stenhouse in the field for the 500 and anywhere near Danica?:lurk

Awesome to see the GoDaddy driver up front in good equipment

Hadn't looked at much yet...is Stenhouse in the field for the 500 and anywhere near Danica?:lurk

Awesome to see the GoDaddy driver up front in good equipment
Awesome to see the GoDaddy driver just about anywhere :evil I think Stenhouse is around 10 back. I don't think 2 seconds separates the 1st 18.

The qualifying that they did Sunday only set the front row for the 500. The two short qualifying races this Thursday sets something like the next 16 rows, then other factors and formulas sets the remaining rows.

But the over hype is getting to me. You would think there was only one driver in the race if you follow the talking heads (with an occasional mention of her boyfriend).

Here is a tribute to the technology of race safety- from yesterdays Nationwide Series Race.

Here is a tribute to the technology of race safety- from yesterdays Nationwide Series Race.

That was pretty horrific, lots of views on the local news. 28 fans injured, 14 in hospital, 2 critical but stable.
Today's forecast is rain, as such we haven't headed for the track yet, gonna see how the rain progresses.

A nice well run race today and a win for Jimmy Johnson. They were running what they called generation 6 cars and for a while it looked like three Toyota's we going to lead the pack to the finish. I had some friends from my neck of the wood in the stands so it will be interesting to hear the stories when they return.
I know that a few that have posted here were there, I hope all had an enjoyable time. Gary

A nice well run race today and a win for Jimmy Johnson. They were running what they called generation 6 cars and for a while it looked like three Toyota's we going to lead the pack to the finish. I had some friends from my neck of the wood in the stands so it will be interesting to hear the stories when they return.
I know that a few that have posted here were there, I hope all had an enjoyable time. Gary

To me, watching on my 60" HDTV, it was a boring follow the leader race with action. I don't like wrecks but I do like close racing with passing and the drivers mixing it up. I can watch two rows of cars riding together on any interstate. Thank goodness plate racing has nothing to do with actual real racing and we will see how the new car actually works in the next race.

It was the TV coverage--not the race itself--that made it boring.

Ryan Newman finished 5th after starting 34th. There was passing, just not shown on TV.

Lots of "face time" for Danica which is fine as long as it doesn't continue on for the rest of the season. She's just one of the boys now. And a good result for her.

What happened to her on the last lap? Backed-up from 3rd to 8th in a half a lap.

OK, I've had my fill of NASCARP for this year. When does MotoGP start?

pete

Just watched a nice documentary on the Speed Channel on Richard Petty-
Off to Phoenix :burnout

a boring race but most restrictor plate races are other than "the wreck".

I like 2 guys Stewart and Harvick and they both go out in the 1st wreck.... pulled for Danica I guess, anyone but Johnson.

Should be able to tell a little more about these new cars this week....

Back