• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve clearances

This is just my personal preference but on my 1978 R/80 I try to set in intakes at .005 and the exhaust at .007, that's what I aim for.
I also check my head bolt torque but I do not loosen them up and I only go to 25 ft. lbs of torque, I don't want to upset the apple cart and Do Not want for sure to pull any long hold down studs out of the engine case.
But that's just me.
I cut my teeth on VW's in the seventy's and we went through a lot of valves and blown engines as kids.

noisy valves

Hi, heres my story re noisy valves, on my 1977 r100 s I always check the valve clearences cold before I adjust them,lets me know if the are tightening over time, this is what I did and advise anyone who wishes to listen, in 1985 bmw modified the rocker arms and installed quietening spacers (nylon top hats) to stop the up and down movement in the arms ,you can get them from your dealer along with adjusting shims ,also remove all the rocker arms marking right an left,removing the needle rollers ,take them to a machine shop and have them remove the same amount as the nylon top hat,reinstall the assy I adjust the valves 4&6 slideing fit,then re check with the 6&8 tight fit ,I did this mod as soon as the parts were availble in 1985 or 86, they are much quieter and need checked more than adjusted ,I replace the nylon top hats every few years as they harden over time,there is also little rubber buffers that are slid between the head fins along where the studs are to help with cylinderhead fin ringing ? I have put well over 150,000 miles since doing this mod and am happy I did, hope this assists Jimmy:ca

Hi, heres my story re noisy valves, on my 1977 r100 s I always check the valve clearences cold before I adjust them,lets me know if the are tightening over time, this is what I did and advise anyone who wishes to listen, in 1985 bmw modified the rocker arms and installed quietening spacers (nylon top hats) to stop the up and down movement in the arms ,you can get them from your dealer along with adjusting shims ,also remove all the rocker arms marking right an left,removing the needle rollers ,take them to a machine shop and have them remove the same amount as the nylon top hat,reinstall the assy I adjust the valves 4&6 slideing fit,then re check with the 6&8 tight fit ,I did this mod as soon as the parts were availble in 1985 or 86, they are much quieter and need checked more than adjusted ,I replace the nylon top hats every few years as they harden over time,there is also little rubber buffers that are slid between the head fins along where the studs are to help with cylinderhead fin ringing ? I have put well over 150,000 miles since doing this mod and am happy I did, hope this assists Jimmy:ca

I've seen those anti-ringing rubber buffers you're referring to. Do you know anything about installing them? I was wondering if you just press-fit them in between the fins, or if you need to use some sort of adhesive to hold them in place?

I've seen those anti-ringing rubber buffers you're referring to. Do you know anything about installing them? I was wondering if you just press-fit them in between the fins, or if you need to use some sort of adhesive to hold them in place?

I think Jim was talking about something inside the valve cover. Snowbum has a small article on the rubbers between fins on the outside. Looks pretty simple to install.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/quietingpads.htm

They are small rubber disc that simply press in between the fins. They do help, they came standard on my mono-shock bikes, and I added them to my 78 RS. However, they do not make the bike silent, you will still hear the valves. I always set mine at 6 and 8 thousands due to a service bulletin that came out after valve recession became a problem.

Wayne

rubber buffers

Hi again glad you read my answer the rubbers slip between the fins mine havent moved in at least 10 years, bye for now Jimmy ps the valves can still be heard a good sign ear plugs is the real answer,:thumb

Apples/oranges... the rubber fin buffers are NOT the nylon rocker spacers. BOTH were added to later models. I think the actual rocker arms are different to accommodate the spacers.

The fin buffers address fin ringing. The rocker spacers address valve train noise.

I think Jim was talking about something inside the valve cover. Snowbum has a small article on the rubbers between fins on the outside. Looks pretty simple to install.

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/quietingpads.htm

Thanks 20774, I was referring to his last sentence, "...there is also little rubber buffers that are slid between the head fins along where the studs are to help with cylinderhead fin ringing ? I have put well over 150,000 miles since doing this mod and am happy I did, hope this assists, Jimmy."

Thanks for your info, Jimmy.

Back