• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salt Lake City attendees

advenbob

Currently the west is experiencing a significant heat wave. I live outside of Phoenix where it was touching 120+ and is currently 111 as I write this note. I was on a week long ride, returning home Friday, riding a loop in the hottest week in the west going through SLC and stopped to check out the fair grounds. Looks pretty nice, it was hot but I survived. It looks like temps will be in the mid to high 90's for the rally, BUT, there is a 30 degree drop at night. For those riding in, just beware of the effects heat has on you. Drink plenty of water, and if it gets too hot for you, stop for a few hours and resume riding as the sun sets and temps drop. Be prepared and forewarned and you will enjoy your stay

bob

Thanks

While there have been others who have advised the rally likely will be quite hot, it is valuable to get a report like this as we get close to the rally. For example, by this time next Saturday, I should be in WI heading west...

Hot at the Rally

As tradition would have it it is ALWAYS hot at the National! Otherwise we wouldn't have anything to complain about. Past weather conditions in SLC are only a guide which usually runs amok when MOA plans an event there. Just tradition and my astute observation, mind you.
So, just so you know, events and provisions have been put in place to somewhat relieve the heat discomfort. Don't want to spoil any surprises so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks Bob - I also posted an update from SLC

Good warning and advice Bob. I just posted a weather warning from here in SLC. Having moved here from a humid Great Lakes climate 11 years ago it is hard to stress that "drink plenty of water" enough to visitors. I grew up somewhere where I never would have imagined how that dryness gets you. When friends visit from the east, I generally hear "I've drank so much water today and I've only peed twice". It won't be Arizona hot but it's been a scorcher. Dave.

When it's above about 100F, close your jacket and pants vents

So in addition to drinking plenty of water, soaking your T-shirt and/or bandanna, the other thing riders not familiar with desert riding forget is hyperthermia (too much heat). Once the temps get above 100 or so, your body is cooler than the outside air. The result is if you are riding with vents open, you are trying to cool the Earth. Yes, utterly counterintuitive, but as someone who grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, it's true. When the temps climb up into the low 100s and higher, I start closing vents to keep (relatively) cooler air inside my jacket and pants.

So in addition to drinking plenty of water, soaking your T-shirt and/or bandanna, the other thing riders not familiar with desert riding forget is hyperthermia (too much heat). Once the temps get above 100 or so, your body is cooler than the outside air. The result is if you are riding with vents open, you are trying to cool the Earth. Yes, utterly counterintuitive, but as someone who grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, it's true. When the temps climb up into the low 100s and higher, I start closing vents to keep (relatively) cooler air inside my jacket and pants.

I agree - except - typical skin temperature is about 94 degrees F, so I don't wait for triple digits to close vents. Anything above 95F is just hot air blowing on my skin. Even with a cooling vest or wet shirt, a bit of air up the sleeves is enough to provide evaporative cooling.

Absolutely correct. Once above skin temperature, the wind will act like a convector of heat; like a convection oven. Keep your skin covered to avoid direct sunlight on your skin. I just shake my head when I see "macho" types out in the sun without a shirt on...

BTW, it will be over 115 this weekend here in the valley of the sun.

I try to learn from those who do it best-

46059252.20050422_0288_DxOcopie.jpg

OM

I rode through southern Utah and AZ today...the high on the RT hit 109.7 degrees. What really helped me in addition to being covered up and using one of the cooling bandannas, was keeping the helmet liner I wear soaked. It would typically stay at least damp for an hour or more. Made a huge difference.

I saw a lot of Harley guys in their t-shirts and no helmet. Wow.

Heat

I rode through southern Utah and AZ today...the high on the RT hit 109.7 degrees. What really helped me in addition to being covered up and using one of the cooling bandannas, was keeping the helmet liner I wear soaked. It would typically stay at least damp for an hour or more. Made a huge difference.

I saw a lot of Harley guys in their t-shirts and no helmet. Wow.
Got to be tough out their for Harley riders much further to next bar I assume

I salute all you Rally attendees. Be careful.

Bloomsburg's crown seems to be in jeopardy.

I had always been one of the macho idiots until riding across Death Valley and down to Phoenix yesterday (bike was reading 115f when I parked). I thought what the hell, I'll try the wet wicking shirt and no vents open, but jacket cuffs open. . . Was AMAZED at how much better that made my ride 120-150 mile stretches no problem. I wouldn't want to be stopped in traffic with no airflow, but was actually comfortable;keep all sealed up

But it's a dry heat!

Voni
sMiling

The temp in my back yard (Gilbert AZ) this afternoon. It got down to about 7% a little later.

As someone pointed out, tho, it just means you bake instead of boil. :)

I sure hope it's cooler in SLC next week (forecast is for upper 90's according to the Weather Channel).

IMG_0565.jpg

e

When I left Idaho Springs CO this morning, bike said 14C, and later when I arrived in Grand Junction, bike said 34 C. My new Motorport mesh suit was too cold in the morning and too hot in the early afternoon.

I did have water with rehydration salts added, but should have taken water earlier. Was feeling the effects of the heat. Lesson learned.

When I left Idaho Springs CO this morning, bike said 14C, and later when I arrived in Grand Junction, bike said 34 C. My new Motorport mesh suit was too cold in the morning and too hot in the early afternoon.

I did have water with rehydration salts added, but should have taken water earlier. Was feeling the effects of the heat. Lesson learned.

Ed, take it from an ex Ontario guy (Windsor) that you need to drink before you feel it. Almost force a big quantity of water down early. Definitely not Great Lakes/Ontario humidity.

The temp in my back yard (Gilbert AZ) this afternoon. It got down to about 7% a little later.

As someone pointed out, tho, it just means you bake instead of boil. :)

I sure hope it's cooler in SLC next week (forecast is for upper 90's according to the Weather Channel).

View attachment 62513

We were at 103ish in Salt Lake today. Yup, high 90s for next week.

Back