• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RV motorcycle Carrier

miairhead

I ride long distance, but my wife: well another story. So the RV comes into dual trips.
I wonder if anyone has a RV motorcycle carrier that is not $3000+.

I seen some that are less then 1K, you push the bike up a ramp. They look like they might work for carrying my 84 R100RT a few times. When my wife can break away for the dog rescue, and we go some place, I might still get some morning rides in.

Wife will never be a long distance rider, hell she has not been on my bike for years.
So I will need a solution not leave my buddy Sam (yep he has a name) at home.

Every expert I've read has advised against a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier for anything weighing over roughly 3-400 pounds, even with a large motorhome. It creates an imbalance that is hard on the suspension, handling and steering. That's simply what I have read.

Not too

I am not too worried about the weight. I know many trailer have a tongue weight that would be equal to my bikes weight. I looked at the Ox one, and going to look more if I can find then make a decision.

I am not too worried about the weight. I know many trailer have a tongue weight that would be equal to my bikes weight. I looked at the Ox one, and going to look more if I can find then make a decision.

It's not about trailer tongue weight, it's about the hitch and what the hitch can support.

Class I: 200 lb tongue (2000 lb trailer)
Class II: 350 lb tongue (3500 lb trailer)
Class III: 500 lb tongue (5000 lb trailer)
Class IV: 1200 lb tongue (12,000 trailer)
Class V: 1300 lb tongue (13,000 trailer)

How many folks actually have a class IV or class V hitch?

How many folks actually have a class IV or class V hitch?

Class IV is fairly standard these days on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. I don't know about SUVs or motorhomes. But that still seems like a lot of weight to hang out there. Last week at the BMW dealer in San Francisco, there was a receiver mounted device for locking in the front wheel. The rear wheel rode on the ground. It looked interesting but I'm not sure about long term use versus emergencies.

... But that still seems like a lot of weight to hang out there....
Depending on the motorhome this concept is key. On mine there are what are called frame extensions. This is where the body builder adds an extension to where the frame originally ended. Some are bolted on and some are welded with a "fish-plate <>" They didn't take any extra special care when they did the one on mine. :banghead

MC Carrier on RV via tongue hitch

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd start this one up again.

I'm looking into carrying an MC with the Versahaul carrier on the back of a gas motorhome. The tongue hitch is a Class III rated for 500# the Versahaul model I'm looking at weighs 95# leaving room for a 405# bike dry. I'd plan on putting a bike that weighs about 325# so there is some room.

That said the remaining issue is whether these things are a viable way to carry your bike. I've read lots of threads where people talk of static vs dynamic strain and with the movement of the carrier inside the tongue sleeve it will crack and fail leaving your bike and rack on the highway.

One of the things I don't get is if this set up is so prone to fail why are there still companies in business selling them. Their carriers all have some type of anti-rattle/movement attachments where it inserts into the hitch.

There must be someone out there that has a carrier on the back of a motorhome out there.... :ear

I have an MC with the electric winch.
It was attached to the back of my 45 footer RV.
My 2006 LT was happy on that lift.
The lift attaches to the frame of the RV and not to the hitch.
I sold the RV but kept the MC. Well, the new owner did't need it.:confused:
It will not be a $3000.00 lift but it is not going to be an $1000.00 :)
If you are looking for a used MC, drop me a note.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd start this one up again.

I'm looking into carrying an MC with the Versahaul carrier on the back of a gas motorhome. The tongue hitch is a Class III rated for 500# the Versahaul model I'm looking at weighs 95# leaving room for a 405# bike dry. I'd plan on putting a bike that weighs about 325# so there is some room.

That said the remaining issue is whether these things are a viable way to carry your bike. I've read lots of threads where people talk of static vs dynamic strain and with the movement of the carrier inside the tongue sleeve it will crack and fail leaving your bike and rack on the highway.

One of the things I don't get is if this set up is so prone to fail why are there still companies in business selling them. Their carriers all have some type of anti-rattle/movement attachments where it inserts into the hitch.

There must be someone out there that has a carrier on the back of a motorhome out there.... :ear

I can only speak of my experience with our RV and the Versahaul. For my KTM 640 on a class C motorhome it worked, my testimonial is even still on the Versahual site.

That being said, it was not without its problems. The motorcycle is cantilevered so far out behind the rear axle that it dramatically affects the RV. I installed heavy duty sway bars and good quality shocks front and rear and a Steer Safe system up front and it helped.

My bathroom door in the rear of the RV would not close well after a few hundred miles with the bike on the back, indicating that my RV frame was not up to the task with only a 350lb bike. I took the spare tire off the back (after the trip in the pic)of the RV and stored it inside, I kept the rear RV storage compartment (it sat behind the rear axle) empty and drained the 7 gallon gas tank on the bike and then the RV handled it ok.

i-PR8fM45-M.jpg

Thanks....it appears that it will work ok but important to stay within the specs. I looked at the Tilt-a-Rack carrier which is aluminum vs steel and also has some rotation/pivot to allow the platform to angle down towards the bike when powering it on and then settles level when it's up.

I don't have the bike yet but I'm hoping that it will be between 3-325#.

bike hauler

Tic tac might have the best solution for hauling your bike with an RV. I was on the road to Florida in Nov. when I passed a RV with a Harley fully dressed Fat Boy on an elevated hydrolic lift right behind the RV. It was attached to the frame. My wife was driving so I told her to stay next to the RV so I could check out the rig since I had never seen the set up before. The RV ws also pulling a 4 door jeep wrangler with a vespa mounted on the back of the jeep. That was a King's big rig.:bow Not sure what it costs, but that is a dream set up. Hydrolic lift is the way to go. No rock damage to your bike.

Overbuilt Lift

We have carried our 1200 RT on the back of our diesel pusher for at least 25,000 miles with no problems. It drops nearly flat to the ground, drive on, tie it down and then it lifts up with a included winch. It does require the frame of a rear engine model as it is welded to the frame. A great hitch. We sold the RV though but still have the hitch which we would sell for $1,500. It would need the part that is welded to the frame but all else is there. I have pictures if anyone wants.
We now use a 5X8 trailer that works but try looking up third wheel carriers, made in Texas and can be used on 5th wheels, Class A B or C motor homes. Might be called a "swivel wheel" which needs no registration, it might be the best. I talked with a guy at a campground that had a big Harley on his and liked it.
Being retired we often travel south for months at a time so have looked at a lot of possibilities. Oh yes, you can tow a car behind the Overbuilt lift too.

Bill Zeller

06 R1200RT
07 F650GS

Back