• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Any Word on Location of 2009 Rally

Like I said before, I am always happy to head to the states for a ride. Just can't get enough biscuits with sausage gravy. Starts the day off right and lasts me till dinner.

If you are ever headed through southern Idaho, just let me know and I'll point you to some places that fix some fine biscuits and gravy! :eat

Josh,
You won't be allowed into Canada if you've ever had a DUI/DWI in the States - at any time. It's a felony in Canada. However...if you go through a process - and pay money - you can get some paperwork that makes it ok. I'm sure the money doesn't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes

Like with any border crossing (ie. coming into the US) you are at the mercy of the guard. Some years ago I crossed back into the US with four other US riders. Three of us were only asked a couple of questions and passed through. The guard for the fourth guy went through all his gear - took a half-hour or better.

Going to Trenton I got quizzed about if I had a gun. She asked if I did. "No". Do you own guns. "Yes". Are you an NRA member? "Yes". Then why should I believe you that you don't have a gun with you? "Because I am an NRA member I'm well informed about guns laws in both the U.S. and Canada, and I respect your right to make the laws in your country as you see fit." That made her happy and I was on my way.

HuH? I know several folks who had one and got in just fine, now granted it was something that happened some 25-30 ago and its no longer on their drivers record,... (in which why even mention it?) but saying if you EVER had one may be a bit of a streatch.. more likely if you had one that still shows... but now that you need a passport not sure it they even check driving records, if they ever did, I travel a lot by air land and sea and I have never been asked about my driving record when crossing into Canada, mostly just where I'm headed and business or pleasure type questions.

RM

Not so fast

Just because a DUI is no longer on the Driving Record that your Insurance Company uses, don't for a minute think that the LE system has forgotten.

Just because a DUI is no longer on the Driving Record that your Insurance Company uses, don't for a minute think that the LE system has forgotten.

Exactly. I just read a recent article about Canadian border crossings for US citizens and it said the Canadian Government is gaining access to more and more US State driving history databases. This is all being done to control terrorists. You can always deny you had a DUI if asked, but if you do and then they check and find you are lying I doubt if that will go well. Especially if they find out when running a background check while you're pulled over for a speeding ticket. Google up "Canada entering DUI DWI" and you'll find a lot of information on this to help reach your own conclusions.

Exactly. I just read a recent article about Canadian border crossings for US citizens and it said the Canadian Government is gaining access to more and more US State driving history databases. This is all being done to control terrorists. You can always deny you had a DUI if asked, but if you do and then they check and find you are lying I doubt if that will go well. Especially if they find out when running a background check while you're pulled over for a speeding ticket. Google up "Canada entering DUI DWI" and you'll find a lot of information on this to help reach your own conclusions.

Ok, well I wasn't aware of that, but then that just begs the issue of governments have more and more access to foreign nationals records and the whole big brother issue which is best left alone here. Agreed if that's the case it wouldn't be good to hide, I'll have to look that up..

RM

Last edited:
OK, well now that is interesting, looking at several sources, including the Canadian Embassy site it seems that all sorts of things are on the list, the least of which is DWI’s DUI’s, such as shoplifting, misdemeanor drug charges and a host of others. The Embassy site seems to take the most stringent view, (not surprising) the US State dept. mentions it as well, and both state that if the event is more than 10 years in the past you can apply for a “rehabilitation” ruling. If however you have passed an FBI or other government background check then you’re probably OK since those seem to be the ones used by the Canadian government, at least for now, they only listed one state that has opened their records to Canada, but I suppose more may well be on the way, probably the other boarder states will be the next to follow. So I guess it really boils down whether the conviction was criminal, a misdemeanor or simple traffic violation. 30 years ago many DUI’s in the DC area were not considered at even a misdemeanor, they just paid a fine and that was that.

Its interesting that so many lawyer sites came up and seemed really interested in “helping” you get the required documents. Live and learn.....

pretty soon we’ll need a passport just to travel across town!

“My I see your Identify papers, please…”

RM

Papers Please

Heidi and I reside in a virtual prision, Yuma Az. You cannot go too far from Yuma without having to pass through a Border Patol Check Station.

Sometimes you are waved through, sometimes they hold you while the dog sniffs around, they ask what citizenship are you, where are you going. etc.

Having grown up in the midwest, traveling at ease through many towns and states, I find this difficult to deal with.

We flew to Jacksonville Fl over the weekend for the IBA Pizza Party. Had to clear the Border Patol, then had to clear the TSA. Had a 4oz spray of deodorant, and they took it. Only allowed 3 oz.

We are always getting closer to a police state.

bob

ps we could do the rally in Yuma. Plenty of camping available in the summer, hotels, and lots of beer available. Plenty of areas for GS rides, not too far from San Diego for the sport bike crowd. Heidi and I will rent out the house for a week while we head north somewhere. It will be somewhere around 110, but it is a dry heat.

You're absolutely correct. I have this acquaintence....(no...really!) His dui was
over 20 years ago. (received counseling way back when he was 19 years old, and
has been a member of AA for 20 years) He's ridden across the border several
times over the years, and tried to fly in last year on business......had to pay
$200.00 for a 3 day visit. He has spent numerous hours (and $$) attempting to
get the DUI's "expunged" from his record.....talked to numerous consulates and
finally submitted 19 pages of information confirming that he's "recovered" and
leading a useful life...yadayada....It will take up to 6 months for the Canadian
consulate to process the paperwork. They even stamped his passport so there's
no denying it in the future. The last time he crossed (again for business) he
payed an additional $200 for a "temporary residency" that's valid for 300 days.

Seems records are kept for a verrrry long time!

Karol Patzer

I don't understand

Heidi and I reside in a virtual prision, Yuma Az. You cannot go too far from Yuma without having to pass through a Border Patol Check Station.

Sometimes you are waved through, sometimes they hold you while the dog sniffs around, they ask what citizenship are you, where are you going. etc.

I must be becoming a closet liberal. A few years ago the wife & I were traveling on I-10 through Texas New Mexico & Arizona. Somewhere in that locale (admittedly not far from the Mexican border) we were waved through a large pavilion where we were looked over by the Border Patrol as we drove through, never being required to stop for more than a second or two. I felt rather uneasy through the process & was thinking back to school & some concepts such as Articuable suspicion and Probable Cause. I am under the impression that when crossing an international border into the USA few "Constitutional Rights" if any apply, But driving on a USA Interstate? Seems kind of scary to me.

This is an unabashed thread bump!

Where will 2009 be? Where, where where???:dunno :dunno

Someone give it up!!!:type

Ok then, how about a hint?
(and I know its going to be in the SE US of A:usa, so I don't need the zone map thingy....)

Last edited:
2009 Rally

Lets start a rumor that the rally is in Maine, and lets say that it will be held near Acadia Nation Park. OK!:usa :thumb

My guess

We are all going to Kenk's house next year; I hear the rooms are cheap and the breeze will either be chilly or full of hot air!:stick

I've heard it was in Charleston, at least I think that's what I heard on another thread on the forum.

I've heard it was in Charleston, at least I think that's what I heard on another thread on the forum.

WV?--Been there, done that, didn't work

SC?--Would love to have one there but the committee seems to be allergic to heat.

Back