• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anonymous book online??

T

tourist

I was just curious if there's a way to look at it online? It could be updated immediately. I mean its just a database taken from the form online anyway.

This is not a bad idea! I know of at least one member who was stuck in a hotel away from her anonymous book and needing assistance.

Interesting suggestion. :thumb

There as some software issues. We are currently getting ready to install some new software that may make this technically possible. Certainly has some appeal. On the road and want to use your cell phone to query the Anonymous Book for someone who is close to where you are, or where you are going, seems like a pretty neat use of technology.

This would be a decision to be made by the BOD. The very best way for you to present the idea for consideration is to e-mail the whole Board directly at this address:

board@bmwmoa.org

I was just curious if there's a way to look at it online? It could be updated immediately. I mean its just a database taken from the form online anyway.

This is an idea that's been around as a general suggestion for a long time. Since the Anon Book is a member benefit, and people list themselves in it because they believe *ONLY* other BMW MOA members have access, we need a way to limit it on-line to only members. And, also in a way that the information can not be duplicated and redistributed. For example, a PDF file fails that test.

However, Vince has this topic on his development plan, and in one conversation he described a possible smart-phone enabled solution that would let you access the needed part of the Anonymous listing (your local) from the side of the road on using your web-enabled smart phone. That would be very cool, IMHO. No time-line on this right now, but on the list.

However, Vince has this topic on his development plan,
and in one conversation he described a possible smart-phone enabled solution that would let you access the needed part of the Anonymous listing (your local) from the side of the road on using your web-enabled smart phone. That would be very cool, IMHO. No time-line on this right now, but on the list.

I think an App for that would be a winner of an idea. :thumb

I think an App for that would be a winner of an idea. :thumb

Great idea. Drop a pin on a map for your current location and pull up anonymous members nearby. If it can work for food, gas, or movie theaters, it should work for us.

Making it a paid app would maybe even pay for it's development from an outside source as well as add a little to the MOA's coffers. The MOA doesn't necessarily need to develop it alone. I'm certain that some people/companies would be interested in it for a share of the proceeds. I'd gladly pay a few bucks for the app which would also be a way to limit it to members only, assuming we had to use our MOA member # to download it. Combine the existing anon database with a map program and there you go.

I think that there are fewer issues than it would appear in getting it up and running.

Mark up another lost benefit for the folks who have no idea what a smart phone is, are not gonna buy a phone to just use this, who think an ap is short hand for an apple pie, and who see the move to put every thing online as just validation for NOT carrying on with this organization...........There are folks out here who do like to see printed stuff in their hands..........

Yes, it would be valid and real to have the Anon book online; but the above sentiments are not just mine I feel........I need to shut up before I start ranting about in the lastest ON how there are just 3 letters to the editor but 2 pages or more gleaned from online..........The future is not just determined by the whims and desires of editors and leadership of an organization; but also how it's offerings are used.........Must be for some of us, like when we were buckling up the stays on the harness for the Sunday drive to see those smoking, backfiring, and smelly new inventions wheel by.......Just thoughts.........Dennis

Great idea. Drop a pin on a map for your current location and pull up anonymous members nearby. If it can work for food, gas, or movie theaters, it should work for us.

Making it a paid app would maybe even pay for it's development from an outside source as well as add a little to the MOA's coffers. The MOA doesn't necessarily need to develop it alone. I'm certain that some people/companies would be interested in it for a share of the proceeds. I'd gladly pay a few bucks for the app which would also be a way to limit it to members only, assuming we had to use our MOA member # to download it. Combine the existing anon database with a map program and there you go.

I think that there are fewer issues than it would appear in getting it up and running.

Add an ability to filter by what your looking for. Need storage space? Filter the pins.

Use the GPS on an iPhone to show nearby members on a map. Allow clicking through the pin to see phone number. Dial directly from there.

You may be able to require a link for registration via the MOA server to prevent unauthorized dissemination.

A GPS enabled app would be killer.

Mark up another lost benefit for the folks who have no idea what a smart phone is, are not gonna buy a phone to just use this, who think an ap is short hand for an apple pie, and who see the move to put every thing online as just validation for NOT carrying on with this organization...........There are folks out here who do like to see printed stuff in their hands..........

Yes, it would be valid and real to have the Anon book online; but the above sentiments are not just mine I feel........I need to shut up before I start ranting about in the lastest ON how there are just 3 letters to the editor but 2 pages or more gleaned from online..........The future is not just determined by the whims and desires of editors and leadership of an organization; but also how it's offerings are used.........Must be for some of us, like when we were buckling up the stays on the harness for the Sunday drive to see those smoking, backfiring, and smelly new inventions wheel by.......Just thoughts.........Dennis

I'm not sure what you're saying Dennis. How would anyone be losing a benefit by the organization providing the information in another way? There would be no reason not to print the anon book still, so it would be available to anyone to use as they see fit. But to make it available online or as an app, it seems like it can't be that complicated a thing.

As far as online...make the database available through this site only so that would keep it as a benefit to members only.

As far as an app...Let's say it cost $9.99. I'd gladly pay that. Now imagine another 2000 members doing the same. Cha-ching! That's almost 20 grand. There's no need for hand-wringing and head-scratching. Do a survey as to interest If there's a valid interest, call some people capable of developing the app, run the numbers by them, and cut a deal for development and update costs assuming that the MOA supplies an updated database once a year.:deal You cold even charge for the updates.

If the organization could make money from an app, it would be a benefit to all who belong, whether they use the info in this way or by licking their fingers and turning the pages.

I'm not one of the folks who is excited by the new and different "apps" available to cell phones. I don't even have a palm pilot style phone, it's just a phone for me.

I do like and would seriously encourage the ability to use the anonymous book online. I know not everyone would or will carry a computer with them on their travels but an internet based option to look at the book, especially if it is broken down by city etc. would be great for those of us who do carry computers everywhere we travel. A simple PDF format would be fantastic as it could even be downloaded and carried in the net book or even a thumb drive for use elsewhere.

A simple PDF format would be fantastic as it could even be downloaded and carried in the net book or even a thumb drive for use elsewhere.

That's definitely a good idea too, and probably the most easily implemented.

That's definitely a good idea too, and probably the most easily implemented.

Consider that a PDF file can be duplicated and distributed endlessly. The Anonymous Book could be "reprinted" all over the Internet. If you are in the Anon. book now, would you continue to do so if you thought that you might be contacted by non-BMW MOA members - perhaps many of them? Asked another way, do you think the majority of our members would continue their Anon listing if they couldn't be assured that their offers of help couldn't be limited to only their fellow members? Would people who value the Anon book and see it as a big member benefit continue their memberships if they could get a PDF copy free from a friend?

An anonymous Luddite member of the MOA recently said “This new fangled technology stuff is not to be trusted to protect our benefits” on his way to create a Luddite pdf file.

811193192_Wqayh-S.jpg

Plus

811193279_RprEw-S.jpg

= paper security

:stick

Sorry Greg, I understand and appreciate the Board and staff are charged with protecting the value of the membership benefits but could not resist.
:bolt

An anonymous Luddite member of the MOA recently said ÔÇ£This new fangled technology stuff is not to be trusted to protect our benefitsÔÇØ on his way to create a Luddite pdf file.

811193192_Wqayh-S.jpg

Plus

811193279_RprEw-S.jpg

= paper security

:stick

Sorry Greg, I understand and appreciate the Board and staff are charged with protecting the value of the membership benefits but could not resist.
:bolt

Ha! :rofl

One by land ........Two by sea

Oh no my bad. On a terrible rainy day in Southern Cal I recieved an email from a UK BMW rider, but not an MOA member. He was having an unresolved issue with his bike and needed my advise 3600 miles away. I called someone on the A-list and explained the situation. The result was he took care of the UK BMW rider from trailering, storage, accomendation and getting him to the dealer.

About three days later I recieve an email from the UK rider asking me how do I know these people. I told him I have no clue but would you like to join the MOA or the dark side cult ? I am not sure if he did or did not but his RTW ( Round the World Tour ) is continuing and he certainly is impressed with his American counterparts.

Was security comprimised ? No, because I made the arrangemnets and introduction.

But But he is was not an MOA member. Well there are many people the MOA markets to that are not so why can't I ? After all its a member driven club.

Can the A Book fall into wrong hands ? Depends on how well its secure, I have one in my top case that is somewhere along Rt 84 west bound in 2005. I am not sure if anyone has found it yet, if you do please call me.

Should the benefit be protected ? Of course, and technology and the members will plot the course.

Oh no my bad. On a terrible rainy day in Southern Cal I recieved an email from a UK BMW rider, but not an MOA member. He was having an unresolved issue with his bike and needed my advise 3600 miles away. I called someone on the A-list and explained the situation. The result was he took care of the UK BMW rider from trailering, storage, accomendation and getting him to the dealer.

About three days later I recieve an email from the UK rider asking me how do I know these people. I told him I have no clue but would you like to join the MOA or the dark side cult ? I am not sure if he did or did not but his RTW ( Round the World Tour ) is continuing and he certainly is impressed with his American counterparts.

Was security comprimised ? No, because I made the arrangemnets and introduction.

But But he is was not an MOA member. Well there are many people the MOA markets to that are not so why can't I ? After all its a member driven club.

Can the A Book fall into wrong hands ? Depends on how well its secure, I have one in my top case that is somewhere along Rt 84 west bound in 2005. I am not sure if anyone has found it yet, if you do please call me.

Should the benefit be protected ? Of course, and technology and the members will plot the course.

Are you in the Anonymous Book? Why, or why not?

I'm not sure what you're saying Dennis. How would anyone be losing a benefit by the organization providing the information in another way? There would be no reason not to print the anon book still, so it would be available to anyone to use as they see fit. But to make it available online or as an app, it seems like it can't be that complicated a thing.

All I am saying is that there are a world of us that get out and go BUT; do not have nor will ever have the newest farkle that marketing tries to push......To go to the time, expense, and trouble of installing or purchasing equipment to participate in this worthy idea is simply eliminating a lot of folks............YES, in my travels I do carry a laptop that is totally connected to the internet and used to maintain communications with my bank and friends on here........GPS, IPHONE, IPAD, Text Messaging, Twitter, and on and on will never be in my bags.......Keep it simple...........Dennis

Consider that a PDF file can be duplicated and distributed endlessly. The Anonymous Book could be "reprinted" all over the Internet. If you are in the Anon. book now, would you continue to do so if you thought that you might be contacted by non-BMW MOA members - perhaps many of them? Asked another way, do you think the majority of our members would continue their Anon listing if they couldn't be assured that their offers of help couldn't be limited to only their fellow members? Would people who value the Anon book and see it as a big member benefit continue their memberships if they could get a PDF copy free from a friend?

Umm...I have a copier 10 feet from me right now and nothing standing in the way of making as many copies as I like. I also have the ability to scan documents and convert them to PDF files. This evil technology already exists yet myself and countless others with access to it resist each day!

To go to the time, expense, and trouble of installing or purchasing equipment to participate in this worthy idea is simply eliminating a lot of folks............GPS, IPHONE, IPAD, Text Messaging, Twitter, and on and on will never be in my bags.......Keep it simple...........Dennis

I think that we're on two different pages here too. If you prefer a paper copy and can have one, and I prefer a digital copy and can have one, what is lost to either of us?

Back