• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 310 G series bikes to be manufactured in India

Has anyone put together a fly and ride program to bring the first bikes made back to the USA?

Those interested probably decided to wait at the dock in New Jersey and fly from there. But, is there/will there be a problem with bikes because they're built in India?

KTM is ahead of the curve on their 300cc + built in India shipped to NA models by two years...why would their be issues?

And if the G310 is anywhere close to the fun factor of the Duke 390, it should be a big seller:thumb

And lifted from BR&TMR from mika from this mornings post :thumb

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/bmw-g-310-r-roadster-coming-to-america-for-less-than-5000/

For now, KTM is ahead of the curve on the India to the US/EU curve in part due to BMW’s get off with Husqvarna and their below 500cc plan of EU to US/India. Indian tariffs killed that plan and is a major under-studied story. Bajaj began the push to Europe from India and in the process has eaten more and more of KTM. Bajaj/KTM AG picked up Husqvarna from BMW because it was a sweet deal it could fit into its plan because it was in Italy and could take advantage of joint venture products to aid both. What some brain in BMW AG didn’t realize the start line for this type of bike is in India not Italy. The joint venture with TVS Motor Company BMW is getting back into this race.

At one point, Suzuki had an ownership stake in TVS as part of its Indian efforts. TVS broke that off and struck out on its own. Like most breakups the hows and whys take different tones depending on which side of the deal you view it from. The consistent part in any of them is TVS saw a chance to grow on its own after it had learned what it could from a major UJM compan. BMW and TVS are in the early stages of a joint venture in development and production. No ownership stake is involved.

QC is an ongoing concern for any company. In the case of this motorcycle it is a concern for both TVS and BMW.http://www.autocarpro.in/features/tvs-bmw-tie-sub-500cc-premium-bikes-3318 The G310R and related variants will be badged as TVS motorcycles in India and BMW’s everywhere else in the world. Where US G310R will come from is not clear. They may be shipped to BMW’s Manaus Brazil assembly plant as CKD bikes, assembled for dealer prep there and then on to the US and elsewhere.

TVS has a new Apache model coming out. Apache in India, it may be a G310RR. I found this comparison to a Bajaj VS400, the Indian version of a KTM 390. Herehttp://www.business-standard.com/ar...o-bikes-in-2015-16-fiscal-115020601704_1.html is the comparison article.

I bought a KTM 390 Duke this spring. The quality is good and the bike is a gas to ride.

Not any complaints as well on our 390 , second owners and still looks well made...and def a fun ride . Really think once ridden, the 310 will be a surprise performer as well. If folks can get their heads around a small displacement bike. Took me one ride, it's stance is tighter than the 690 but not ride denying small.
But in perspective, my workhorse GSA seems monstrous now like a old sofa.

QC issues abound globally, nothing new for BMW , just another country in the mix. The G650 engines from China come to mind. Don't hear about issues on them often.

QC issues abound globally, nothing new for BMW , just another country in the mix. The G650 engines from China come to mind. Don't hear about issues on them often.

As long as the product is priced according to the fabrication costs, it's a fair deal. Will I pay more the BMW product from India than some other brand from India, that's an open question. If both bikes perform similarly, they lower cost one would be the rational choice.

As long as the product is priced according to the fabrication costs, it's a fair deal. Will I pay more the BMW product from India than some other brand from India, that's an open question. If both bikes perform similarly, they lower cost one would be the rational choice.

Have you ridden a Royal Enfield lately?

No I haven't. Why do you ask?

I took it as more of a rhetorical question. The underlying point, at least for me, is for years Royal Enfield has been seen as an example of much that was wrong with quality in sub 500cc motorcycle from India. In recent years it has gone through a major rebuild of the organization. Now, the quality and the presentation of their product is on a world market level.

I wasn't implying anything mika.
I trully wanted more clarification nothing more. I profess ignorance on the Enfield. I find it interesting how quality, whether perceived or real, seems to wander and occasionally pop up where you wouldn't expect it. I was reading an entirely differant subject today where the author made the connection between quality of goods to interest rates, and part of a broader economic cycle. The struggle for both profit margins and quality always rages. I find it interesting.

I wasn't implying anything mika.
I trully wanted more clarification nothing more. I profess ignorance on the Enfield. I find it interesting how quality, whether perceived or real, seems to wander and occasionally pop up where you wouldn't expect it. I was reading an entirely differant subject today where the author made the connection between quality of goods to interest rates, and part of a broader economic cycle. The struggle for both profit margins and quality always rages. I find it interesting.

Substitute "exchange rate" for "interest rate" in that discussion and watch what's unfolding in the UK. There's no free lunch.

Relative to popping up where you don't expect it........India has been a continual story of disappointment relative to economic growth. They have a large, educated populace, but routinely find some reason not to advance as a nation.

IMO, if you buy something from a name brand such as BMW, it's BMW's responsibility for quality control. I have looked at the BMW riding suits- made and China, and they are as good as anything I've seen. It's when a company says "this used to cost us $10.00 and now it only cost $1.50.....it's a miracle" that there is a problem.
It would see that there is fine line between price/profit/quality and demand.
YMMV
OM

Back