• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

iPad Apps and M/C Travelling

I'd add one app, that is great for finding new places to ride. It uses your present location, or a place you want to find out about, to obtain information on rides submitted by other riders. You can look at the trip on google maps once you select something you might be interested in taking. I travel a lot, and have found many, many trips I want to take that I would have most likely never found if not for this app.

It's called "Greatest Road". If it's not free, it's very cheap in price, rich in substance.

i am waiting for more ubiquitous 4G and the incorporation of telephony features into the iPad.

that, and some form of connection that will let me plot a route on the iPad and transfer it to the GPS.

nice form factor, really slick UI, just seems like a pretty frivolous device at this point in its dev.

a netbook is more appropriate and cheaper. i wish the Mac Air didn't cost so freakin' much.

ian

Some of my favorite Apps for Moto travel...
Nearest
Weather Bug
Killboy
Urbanspoon
Searchit
3D Bookshelf
Best Western
Hampton Inn

any recent updates?

i was searching the forum for "apps" and came upon this thread, but it's four years old almost. iphone ubiquity has increased since then, and i'm guessing there's some good new apps as will.

i just got an iphone (my first smartphone) and wanted to find useful apps for travelling by motorcycle. anything airhead-specific too would be cool.

thanks in advance,

-eric

On my iPod Touch Gen 4, I use.....
Mapquest
H-D Maps
Greatest Road
Michigan Roadtrips
Mad Maps
Herma USA Atlas ($10)
Various music and radio app....

Always looking for more.

Pirelli Diablo Super Biker for Android is a fun app that records your speed, lean angle and location as you ride. It can then chart the data along with Google satellite views of your route. Offers a road mode and a track mode. I'm not sure if there is a comparable Apple version.

I have been travelling with only an iPad for three years now but got a Christmas present of an iPad Mini and it really is the perfect size for any tank bag. I have now synched all of my Apps to it. I do have a Canadian SIM for Mobility along with WiFi and would consider buying an American SIM if I really needed a lot of data in a remote location but will monitor data usage while away from WiFi before doing so. The iPad Mini for me is the absolute perfect size for size versus readability.

I have a Windows Phone and use it in the tank bag's map window. My favorite app for riding is Copilot GPS because I like its 2 dimensional view all the way to the next turn, offline maps, routing options, and traffic reporting. In the Void rally last year I ran it and the Garmin simultaneously and the Copilot route was generally better. Copilot GPS is available for Apple, Android, and Windows Phone 8.

I am a huge fan of OneNote (part of Microsoft Office) and use it for trip info and rally notes. It syncs with my computer and wife's phone. I set up rally points and notes about the trip. I also like to tap the Sena knob, say "note" and then dictate a memo that will sync when a signal comes available. I think OneNote is available for Apple. It's available for Android, and Windows Phone 8. Evernote is a similar synchronizing note application.

I like Rain Alarm for notifying me of rain in the vicinity. I rarely open it ad a glance at the Live Tile tells me if there is rain nearby. It is available for Apple, Android, and Windows Phone 8.

A cool thing is voice commands. I can say "open OneNote" and the phone switches to my notes. I can read them at a stop sign and then tell it to "open Copilot GPS" and it flips back to navigation. Also when someone sends me a text, the phone will ask if I want to ignore it or hear it read aloud.

Oh yeah, Audible for reading books on long stretches of interstate.

A phone can do a lot. It's critical to ignore it most of the time. It's just like spending too much time reading the map in the tank bag. Remember your priorities!

I like Total Fuel for tracking gas consumption but there are a lot of good choices for that.

Recreation.gov for camping in the USA
Other camping type apps to find available sites.
A Hotel app to make reservations from the road on the fly
Accuweather or weather underground
Knot Guide for tying ropes

Take a picture of all your licences/passports/registration/insurance docs etc and keep them on your phone. (make sure our phone is secure and needs a passcode to access)
Keep a list of web sites / phone numbers, also repair manuals etc as pdf files on a cloud server available if you lose your phone.
Also the contact numbers for lost passport, credit cards etc

The usual plethora of mapping apps

Just wasted about 1/2 hour...actually not a waste using H's Ipad and StarWalk to stargaze . I'm amazed

My current favourite Android app is Hotel tonight. Offers up hotel rooms that are available that day at a discount. Much better than going in and getting the rack rate.

My current favourite Android app is Hotel tonight. Offers up hotel rooms that are available that day at a discount. Much better than going in and getting the rack rate.

Looks like the the Apple App Store has this as well, I think I will give it a try.

I talked with Apple the other day and agree for the most part. But I decided to hold off for the next generation. Per Apple, some current down sides are to the IPad:

1. No USB Port
2. If you want word processing or spread sheet you need to but it where if you buy a Mac Laptop its installed no charge.
3. Pictures cannot be modified and need to be sent as taken-no cropping etc.
4. Cannot install an external drive or Jump Drive, etc with current models

Apple led me to believe that the next generation will move more toward these types of features.

But all in all nice size, very intuitive, and nice footprint, also nice size screen and overall a great first shot. By the time I ordered the Ipad with all I wanted it was more expensive than buying a Mac 13 inch laptop which did everything I wanted but ??I wanted the Ipad..so I will wait another year.

Backroad ADV
RE: #3 if you download IPhoto you can modify photos any way you could on a Mac laptop with IPhoto
Steve W

There have been some great ideas on here. I hope these have not been mentioned. I did not see them:

TUNE IN RADIO-- You can use this to listen to your favorite radio station when you are not near it. It works great for an alarm clock so you can wake up to whatever news or music you like.
It also shows you the time in the middle of the night if you wake up.

THE ONION--for some good laughs.

PBS--for watching some of their programs instead of the usual stuff on TV.

Back