• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Question

alanferry

Good morning,

I want to purchase a "guest helmet" and wondering what the most poular size would be to fit most people.
thanks,
Alan

L or XL. If most of your "guests" will be female, maybe go for L, XL for more general application.

M and XXL would be too restrictive, so L or XL are your best bets.

Good morning,

I want to purchase a "guest helmet" and wondering what the most poular size would be to fit most people.
thanks,
Alan

Please don't count on one helmet size fitting everyone. If a helmet doesn't fit properly, it can't do its job. You don't really want the responsibility of facing loved ones if a pillion gets injured in your guest helmet, do you?
If you must, then perhaps choose 3/4 coverage helmets (they're more forgiving, size wise and offer more protection than a 1/2 shell), and get more than one size... Scorpion is reasonably priced. Keep in mind, a bit too snug is better than too loose.

P

How many different guests are you really going to have? Take the primary guest helmet shopping. If the helmet fits the next guest, great. If not, take that person shopping. There are a few very inexpensive helmets that performed exceptionally well in the Cycle World crash test from a few years ago. For the price of one Shoei or Arai, you could easily get 2-3 helmets that will be provide just as much or more protection.

How many different guests are you really going to have? Take the primary guest helmet shopping. If the helmet fits the next guest, great. If not, take that person shopping. There are a few very inexpensive helmets that performed exceptionally well in the Cycle World crash test from a few years ago. For the price of one Shoei or Arai, you could easily get 2-3 helmets that will be provide just as much or more protection.

+1

L or XL. If most of your "guests" will be female, maybe go for L, XL for more general application.

M and XXL would be too restrictive, so L or XL are your best bets.

Most folks choose a "too big" helmet - should fit SNUG, but not TIGHT. A fine line.

P

Gender is important. I assume most of your guests are female. A large will do.

FunnyHelmets.jpg

Please don't count on one helmet size fitting everyone. If a helmet doesn't fit properly, it can't do its job. You don't really want the responsibility of facing loved ones if a pillion gets injured in your guest helmet, do you?
If you must, then perhaps choose 3/4 coverage helmets (they're more forgiving, size wise and offer more protection than a 1/2 shell), and get more than one size... Scorpion is reasonably priced. Keep in mind, a bit too snug is better than too loose.

P

While I generally agree with idea of individualizing the helmet, I don't agree with the open face suggestion. The helmet might be reasonably priced, until you include the cost of facial reconstructive surgery. IMHO.

(The Hurt report listed the most frequent crash head impacts on the left and right side of the jaw.)

Back