• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'06 K1200R Purchase Advice

QUADZILLABILL

Been riding for 35 years on all different kinds of bikes. Always wanted one of these hot rods and ran across a nice looking unit with 16k on the odometer. Doing final inspection tomorrow, but wondered if the experienced owners can let me know what issues are common and should be investigated with these bikes? Known issues that one should be careful of? Thanks in advance.

Well I have a s model but same bike diff plastic bits. service history is important make sure all recalls have been done,also if the timing chain jump guard has been installed if it jumps bye bye engine same with timing chain auto tensioner, also abs is probmatic make sure it is in working condition, that's about it enjoy

As above. The chain guide is a free fix from BMW, the cam chain tensioner is chargeable. If you see a flat plate where the tensioner is (right side, behind cylinder block, in front of frame mounting point) then it needs the update. With the servo brake system, it needs to be flushed yearly. Do that and it should be fine.

Does this bike you're looking at have ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) ? It yes, make sure its functioning. When you have the key "ON" but bike not running, adjust damping from Comfort to Normal to Sport using the ESA button. You should be able to hear the servo motors turn on the front and rear shocks. With bike running, adjust preload using the ESA button and you should feel the rear of the bike move up or down as it changes between solo rider, rider with luggage and rider with passenger.

Well I have a s model but same bike diff plastic bits. service history is important make sure all recalls have been done,also if the timing chain jump guard has been installed if it jumps bye bye engine same with timing chain auto tensioner, also abs is probmatic make sure it is in working condition, that's about it enjoy

Excellent - thanks.

As above. The chain guide is a free fix from BMW, the cam chain tensioner is chargeable. If you see a flat plate where the tensioner is (right side, behind cylinder block, in front of frame mounting point) then it needs the update. With the servo brake system, it needs to be flushed yearly. Do that and it should be fine.

Does this bike you're looking at have ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) ? It yes, make sure its functioning. When you have the key "ON" but bike not running, adjust damping from Comfort to Normal to Sport using the ESA button. You should be able to hear the servo motors turn on the front and rear shocks. With bike running, adjust preload using the ESA button and you should feel the rear of the bike move up or down as it changes between solo rider, rider with luggage and rider with passenger.

Do you have a pic of the original or bmw replacement tensioner? The bike does have ABS and ESA, so I appreciate that feedback. Edit to add: This appears to have the upgraded unit from what I could find online. It has a black AA sized battery piece sticking up from the case at that spot.

These bikes also suffered from a fuel pump flange cracking issue and was/is the subject of a recall program. If you take the serial number of the bike into a dealer they can check and find out what updates have or haven't been done.

These bikes also suffered from a fuel pump flange cracking issue and was/is the subject of a recall program. If you take the serial number of the bike into a dealer they can check and find out what updates have or haven't been done.

Are this and other recalls or TSBs open ended as far as getting them fixed if not already done? Does the forum have a running list, or just better to work with my local (2.5 hours away) dealer?

Are this and other recalls or TSBs open ended as far as getting them fixed if not already done? Does the forum have a running list, or just better to work with my local (2.5 hours away) dealer?

These are open ended there really stop recalls which means don't ride them till fixed just call the dealer ask for service tell them your buying this bike give them the serial number and they will run it and tell you what's up. no biggie

These are open ended there really stop recalls which means don't ride them till fixed just call the dealer ask for service tell them your buying this bike give them the serial number and they will run it and tell you what's up. no biggie

Thanks. That’s my plan this morning. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, some updates:

Talked to the local dealership (not who did the service a few months ago) and they confirmed that all campaigns including the cam chain tensioner were complete other than the cam chain skip guard. Fairly small job that they could get to right away.

On to the inspection and test ride. Bike appears to be in great shape. A couple of extras on it that I hadn't expected including MV bar risers. First impressions were that the bike in great shape. This owner only had it for 18 months, so not a lot of service history. Speaking of service, it's due in a couple thousand miles for the 18k mile service which looks like it will be about a $650 bill.

Bike started right up and the instrument cluster was fully functional. We decided on a short route around the nearby neighborhood with a mix of roads and I was able to head out and ride. Bike was solid and everything seemed to work fine. The clutch engagement was at the very, very end of the lever travel. That was a question mark. I was able to pull off into a park on the route and check out the bike overall and some of the stuff you mentioned here a little more closely. Heated grips worked, ESA could be heard adjusting, but pretty short duration of noise from it. Not sure if I was hearing what I was supposed to. Then when restarting it and sitting in the saddle, I heard a rattle/shutter from the engine at idle. Waited a while and it showed up a few more times in 5 minutes. I'm guessing this is the cam chain as it was coming from the general area of the adjuster. I was ready to buy upon arrival, but those couple of bigger questions made me pause.

Advice/thoughts on the potential seriousness of the clutch and the rattle?

ESA could be heard adjusting, but pretty short duration of noise from it. Not sure if I was hearing what I was supposed to. Then when restarting it and sitting in the saddle, I heard a rattle/shutter from the engine at idle. Waited a while and it showed up a few more times in 5 minutes. I'm guessing this is the cam chain as it was coming from the general area of the adjuster. I was ready to buy upon arrival, but those couple of bigger questions made me pause.

ESA damping adjustment takes about half a second. ESA rear preload adjustment takes 5-10 seconds. Make sure you check that. New rear shocks are $3100 or so. Does the bike have a centre stand? If yes, put the bike on it, start the bike and change the preload settings with the ESA button. While doing this look at the top of the rear shock spring and you should see it being compressed or released as the shock motor makes the adjustment. You can also do this on the side stand - its just a little harder to see.

Hard to hear it from where I am :))) but the rattle you heard/felt is likely the clutch basket not the cam chain. Speaking with other owners of this bike, I think it may be one of those "they all do that" things.

And get that updated cam chain jump guard RIGHT NOW.

ESA damping adjustment takes about half a second. ESA rear preload adjustment takes 5-10 seconds. Make sure you check that. New rear shocks are $3100 or so. Does the bike have a centre stand? If yes, put the bike on it, start the bike and change the preload settings with the ESA button. While doing this look at the top of the rear shock spring and you should see it being compressed or released as the shock motor makes the adjustment. You can also do this on the side stand - its just a little harder to see.

Hard to hear it from where I am :))) but the rattle you heard/felt is likely the clutch basket not the cam chain. Speaking with other owners of this bike, I think it may be one of those "they all do that" things.

And get that updated cam chain jump guard RIGHT NOW.

agree with bc1100s jump guard asap the rattle could be the basket but also the tensioner the update unit is prone to oil leak down and failure. I replaced mine with a manual unit about 80.00 for the unit takes about 20 minutes to replace and set haven't touched mine in 8k miles still quite as a church mouse lol just my opinion

...the tensioner the update unit is prone to oil leak down and failure. I replaced mine with a manual unit about 80.00 for the unit takes about 20 minutes to replace and set haven't touched mine in 8k miles...

Good info to know.

I guess the best way to know if the tensioner has failed is to listen for chain rattle at cold start-up.

I guess the best way to know if the tensioner has failed is to listen for chain rattle at cold start-up.

Our K1300s came with the updated tensioner but my wife's 1300S rattled a few times at startup when it was around 4 years old, so I had it replaced.

I just trade a 2006 K1200R with 56,000 miles. It made the clutch basket sound consistently when in N with clutch lever out, pull clutch in and it goes away. The bike never let me down. I would be more concerned about the servo brakes going bad. Good luck.

Back