• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Newbie with a fuel leak

marshalguidry

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the group. I've ridden bikes for almost 20 yrs - even had a R1100R years ago but that bike didn't fit my long legs very well. I recently bought a 2002 R1150RT with 30K miles on the (the bike I should have bought years ago). I love the bike but when I got home from work on it yesterday, I smelled gasoline. I didn't see anything so didn't worry about it. This morning when I cranked it up, it started immediately dripping gas off the bottom of the engine so I shut it off and left it there. It will be this weekend before I can strip off the plastics and take a look. What do you think I'll find? Just trying to prepare myself mentally:scratch

First off welcome to the MOA Forums. :thumb

Some guesses and things to check:
- cracked fuel quick disconnect
- cracked/split fuel line between tank and plastic inlet tube
- loose fuel line clamps
- O Rings at fuel injector inlets leaking

You might have to turn the ignition on to pressurize the fuel rail and lines to find the leak but don't start the bike until you fix this.

Thanks...sounds like that might fall under my "doability". Should I pull the plastics off the right or left side to access this (please don't say both ;) ) ?

Right.

NOT worth your time or money to replace with BMW parts - go aftermarket and all-metal for both fittings.

Might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. He hasn't even taken the tupperware off the bike to see what is leaking yet. :lurk

The same thing happened to me on my '99 R1100S right after I got it. Only in my case it wasn't the fuel disconnects but the fuel hoses under the tank. A call to beemerboneyard provided the hose. Pulled the tupperware off the bike, removed the tank (wouldn't you know I had just filled up) and drained it, very carefully. Replacing the hoses is pretty easy. All in about a two hour job. No problems since that time.

the Wanderer is right - while the quick-disconnects are infamous, lines crack or rot internally (especially with additives).
Cajun - if it turns out to be a bad line (or two..), depend on replacing the lines inside the tank also. MAKE SURE that the new lines are specifically rated for High Pressure Fuel Injection applications, AND that they are rated for SUBMERSION in fuel (at least for the inside pieces). Again, aftermarket is your friend and pre-formed pieces are available for the innards.
Last time I replaced mine (did all at once while it was apart), everything "seemed" just fine, no fuel delivery problems or high-speed running issues... But there was one line that sure seemed quite restricted when I tried to blow through it.

the Wanderer is right - while the quick-disconnects are infamous, lines crack or rot internally (especially with additives).
Cajun - if it turns out to be a bad line (or two..), depend on replacing the lines inside the tank also. MAKE SURE that the new lines are specifically rated for High Pressure Fuel Injection applications, AND that they are rated for SUBMERSION in fuel (at least for the inside pieces). Again, aftermarket is your friend and pre-formed pieces are available for the innards.
Last time I replaced mine (did all at once while it was apart), everything "seemed" just fine, no fuel delivery problems or high-speed running issues... But there was one line that sure seemed quite restricted when I tried to blow through it.

Just reading your reply on the gas leak and the after market pre formed hoses for the innards you mentioned caught my eye. I cannot seem to source the short hose that does a 180 from the fuel filter. This is BMW part number 16 14 2 325 808 and it costs around $34. :eek Seems only BMW makes this part. Tried purchasing a universal plastic replacement hose from Euro Motoelectrics sells but I realized it is going to be too long after it arrived.

If you know where to find injection rated submersible hose with a 180 degree bend please let us know what and where to buy please.

Thanks...sounds like that might fall under my "doability". Should I pull the plastics off the right or left side to access this (please don't say both ;) ) ?

I felt the same way as you when I got my RT last year. When you remove the side fairings, be careful with the tabs near the cylinder heads. I learned the hard way: Broken RT Fairing.

After a few times, pulling the fairings and fuel tank have become a core skill to maintaining an RT. Once you get in down it's only about 15 minutes work ... plus two days to repair the broken tab. ;)

Just reading your reply on the gas leak and the after market pre formed hoses for the innards you mentioned caught my eye. I cannot seem to source the short hose that does a 180 from the fuel filter. This is BMW part number 16 14 2 325 808 and it costs around $34. :eek Seems only BMW makes this part. Tried purchasing a universal plastic replacement hose from Euro Motoelectrics sells but I realized it is going to be too long after it arrived.

If you know where to find injection rated submersible hose with a 180 degree bend please let us know what and where to buy please.

The nylon hose can and should be cut to the desired length.

The nylon hose can and should be cut to the desired length.

Have you installed one? I ask because when I measured the original hose length vs the length of the bendable part of the nylon hose it seemed much too long. My concern is it would not fit back in the tank properly.

I also have, but not yet installed, the Euro Motoelectrics hose in place of the 180 degree OEM part. Could it be that it is intended to link the 2 nozzles after 540 degrees of rotation (180 + 360)?

After looking at the hoses again, I see that they are not only too short to wrap 540 degrees, but come with instructions that describe the need to cut them to fit.
Best regards,
Mark

Have you installed one? I ask because when I measured the original hose length vs the length of the bendable part of the nylon hose it seemed much too long. My concern is it would not fit back in the tank properly.

I installed one about a year ago along with a new gas filter and hoses in a 2004 R1100S and it's working fine. I cut about an inch and a half on both sides of the straight tubing. You'll be using the straight portions of the hose for clamping.
I replaced them because I read the older bikes were having problems with them. All the hoses I replaced were about 8 years old (original factory) - Their condition were like new, no sponginess what so ever.

My concerns about the replacement nylon hose were:
A. Corrugated portion might restrict flow - Hose is 5/16 inch diameter and I don't think our bikes drink that much fuel.
B. It's Nylon - It has an A rating for gasoline and alcohol and heard cars use Nylon.
C. Thickness of tubing - It's rated well over the 100 PSI ( it's 220 PSI rated) we need.
D. Nylon tubing doesn't compress for clamping - I used Oeitiker clamps. Fuel hose clamps are supplied. Just be sure to pull enough of the straight tubing over the barb, and then clamp down after the barb.

I don't think one should use an ordinary submersible hose for the bend because it's rather stiff.
I would recommend a preformed hose from BMW or the Hose Kit from Euromotoelectric.

You guys are diagnostic geniuses!! Pulled the side panel (after checking another old thread to find out how to "whack" the mirror off) and it's leaking at the disconnect. My question now before I spend the $75 on the all metal disconnect is....has anyone replaced the quick disconnects with some sort of straight piece of hose and fittings? Just wondering if you really need the quick disconnects or can you rig it direct and deal with the inconvenience of draining fuel on my next repair. :dunno If you did rig it, I'd love to know what you used. I was wondering if just putting in a small fuel filter between the two hoses would work???
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys....you were a life saver!
cajun

Last edited:
One thing you could do is buy some Viton O-Rings from Beemer Boneyard. Then see if your plastic QDs are sound, they may well be.

Back