• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ATGATT vs. STGSTT

Went down last year with no knee protection. Had jenes on, helmet, Vanson mesh jacket. Broke my leg. Now I am toying with the idea of not riding anymore ATGATT or not. I to get frustrated when I see the HD crowd with no helmet, etc. but it is not only the HD riders. I have seen the rice rocket boys with helmet and no body protection. And I have seen the occasional BMW near nude rider, shorts tank top and flip-flops. Like they say in the step programs, Let go and Let God. :)

ATTGAT s STGSTT

As a paramedic in the south central Missouri Ozarks, I work several motorcycle crashes a week during the summer months. Most of the crashes involve squids, noobs and out of towners. Most are single vehicle incidents. In most situations the injuries would have been prevented or at least minimized with proper protective gear.

I learned the importance of full gear back in the late 70's and early 80's while road racing. Although I have not gone done road riding, I have 'crashed my brains out' on the track; if you don't crash occasionally, you aren't trying. I have walked away several high speed crashes because of the protective equipment I was wearing.

I, also, do not hesitate to give the 'lecture' about full protectie gear to those in condition to listen. It is amazing how receptive people are at that time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve

Atgatt

All The Gear All The Time
I would rather look stupid, than be stupid. (or dead, or worse crippled.)

My 2 cents.
Annie

The Bedouins in the Sahara don't wear black T shirts or tank tops. Full coverage, light, and loose - is cooler.
I wear long-sleeve shirts year-round. When I was working in Egypt, a lot of the other ex-pats wore t-shirts, polo shirts or other short-sleeve shirts. Not me. They were always hot, I never was.

I'll admit that I've been lazy the last couple of weeks, since it's been 90+ several days in a row in KC. I've been driving my truck to work instead of RT-ing it. I had ridden my '04 RT to work every day up to last Monday since I bought it on 10 June.

It was 105 in southern British Columbia on our way to Gillette from Alaska. I had on First Gear mesh pants, my Aerostich Roadcrafter Jacket, and an ORI cool vest. Not cold but not too bad.
Mesh is not your friend when it's >100F. Hot wind actually contributes to heat fatigue. A good, ventilated textile jacket/pants will promote evaporative cooling better.

If you're wearing those jeans with the steel cloth or kevlar patches on the knees does that count as part of ATGATT? Or do they have to have
armor? Is it ATGATT if your mesh jacket doesn't have a spine protector - only armor on the elbows and shoulders? My friend's neighbor died after he fell and hit his head on the kerb (no helmet) at the end of his driveway (leaving) - do you always wear ATGATT even if you're only riding around the block?

My guess is that some folks who say they use ATGATT actually don't.

ATGATT is the norm here in the bay area. Even the HD guys that make it out to the coast where the roads are twisty wear gear. HDs being piloted by guys with a full face helmet are common.

I think the weather contributes to it. With an average year round temp of about 70F, it's rarely hot enough to ride without gear.

When it's cool I wear gear. When it's hot I wear a ball cap,T-shirt,jeans,tennis shoes and gloves. I do keep a helmet and rain suit in the side case incase it rains.

Occasionally jeans

Occasionally I'll just wear jeans instead of my riding pants. That's as far as I'll go.

Helmet, armor jacket, gloves, boots. All the time. Jeans for the occasional run to the store or out and about.

Rest of the time I do the whole schmear.

Occasionally I'll just wear jeans instead of my riding pants. That's as far as I'll go.

Helmet, armor jacket, gloves, boots. All the time. Jeans for the occasional run to the store or out and about.

Rest of the time I do the whole schmear.

After seeing what happens at a lowly 20mph, I can't think of a situation that doesn't warrrant the whole deal. If I'd been wearing nothing but a helmet when I got knocked down last year, I'd probably still be picking scabs.

After seeing what happens at a lowly 20mph, I can't think of a situation that doesn't warrrant the whole deal. If I'd been wearing nothing but a helmet when I got knocked down last year, I'd probably still be picking scabs.

Grocery store, 1 mile away, speed limit 30 mph, straight road. The same road I ride at nearly the same speed on the bicycle in far less gear.

Even though I'm impressed by and tempted to emulate all the BMW GS riders who patrol our streets in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers every summer, I still wear the mesh jacket, gloves and boots when I roll.

Gotta admit though that unless I'm headed out of town and have to traverse highways, I usually wear jeans (or arborwear jeans).

I'm ATGATT, including a one-piece Roadcrafter in triple digits. I figure it keeps the sun and oven wind off me. I've heard the "isn't that hot?" many times, to which I usually reply "only when I stop." I will ride just jacket, helmet, boots, gloves to the coffee shop in town sometimes (1 mile - it's a small town).

My problem has been that I usually wear jeans tucked into my boots. They get HOT above 95. I've thought about just a jacket but am reluctant since I read someone write Would you drop to your knees in a parking lot in just your jeans? (no) Also, taking the one-piece plus a jacket makes for too much bulk on a trip. I'm considering lighter-weight cotton pants or just LD shorts under the one-piece. I'm leaving for Oklahoma and Arkansas this Friday, so I guess I'll find out. Any ideas?

I'm hardly ever ATGATT, particularly in summer. But, since the most often injured portions of a motorcyclist's body are the extremities (ie., head, hands, and feet), I always wear:
  • Full face helmet.
  • Motorcycle specific boots.
  • Motorcycle specific gloves.
  • Earplugs (BTW, if you aren't wearing earplugs, then you aren't ATGATT).
Regardless of the season, when I commute to work I wear the khakis, slacks, or jeans that I wear at work.

If I'm on a day trip during the hot summer you'll see me in motorcycle specific mesh textile pants and a t-shirt. On cooler days I'll wear a jacket and, whuddya know, I'm ATGATT.

During our hot Texas summers I'm usually in a short sleeved shirt. Frankly, the heat is so intense that anything draped over my shoulders is too much for me unless I'm moving 50+ MPH. If I had to wear a jacket in those temperatures then I'd rather not ride. I know I'm taking a risk. And, yes, I've gone down on pavement and rocks and had a lot of skin torn off. Not pleasant, I know.

Recently it's been pretty hot/humid here and I've been disappointed to see someone on the opposite side of the highway on an airhead (blue with white RT fairing) wearing a helmet as the only protective gear that I can make out. Otherwise it's just a t-shirt and pants. I'm not sure why an unprotected BMW rider bothers me more. I had seen a guy on a black Airhead several years ago riding around town with no helmet on. He also never waved. haven't seen him in a long time.

I would jump in and warn them, but most of them are not the type of riders I want to be involved with.
I mean no offense, but that has the sound of a BMW snob. As you can see from my post above, I'm "the type of rider" you don't "want to be involved with." Personally, I don't want to be involved with riders who end sentences in prepositions.

Even though I'm impressed by and tempted to emulate all the BMW GS riders who patrol our streets in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers every summer, I still wear the mesh jacket, gloves and boots when I roll.
I can honestly say that I have never seen a BMW rider, not just a GS rider, dressed in shorts. I've seen it on lots of other bikes, but never on a BMW. I've seen plenty of BMW riders in jeans and t-shirts (myself included), and very rarely in sneakers (usually on LTs, I've noticed). But I can't recall ever seeing a BMW rider wearing shorts.

Last edited:
JD No offense, but you are one of the reasons I hate being a BMW rider and rather consider myself a motorcyclist.

You were "disappointed" at someone's lack of gear.

"Not the type of riders you want to be involved with"

"I need to catch up with him and say hi" The AGATT guy is the only person worthy of your aknowledgement?

I ride AGATT, and being an Ohioan I make it back there quite frequently. Please do me a favor and don't say hello and wave to me. There is only one type of rider I do not like, the one who thinks the choices they make put them above everyone else.

I was reading the post you are referring to and was thinking the exact same thing. I do not care how much gear you wear, only that you enjoy riding, that is what we have in common. If you ride like an idiot and put my safety at risk, then no thanks. The choices that you make are your own business and as long as they do not affect me or my safety, then we are OK. I gear up to suit the ride and the conditions I will be riding in. If it is not good enough for someone then that is too bad, I will offer no apologies.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a BMW rider, not just a GS rider, dressed in shorts. I've seen it on lots of other bikes, but never on a BMW. I've seen plenty of BMW riders in jeans and t-shirts (myself included), and very rarely in sneakers (usually on LTs, I've noticed). But I can't recall ever seeing a BMW rider wearing shorts.
Well, Grant, this is New York and (almost) anything goes :ha

I posted a mention a few summers ago about riding alongside of a fellow on a R1200C wearing shorts and flip flops. A recent "shorts sighting" occurred just a few days ago: a guy on an 1150GS... And there's a very dapper rider I've seen around town: bespoke Saville Row suits, great taste in ties, who wears a three-quarter helmet and fine Italian shoes on his K1200GT. This guy has such nice clothes he makes the bike look dull!

To each his own, I guess. I think we all wear whats most sensible to us when we set out. The point is that we ride and enjoy riding.

And there's a very dapper rider I've seen around town: bespoke Saville Row suits, great taste in ties, who wears a three-quarter helmet and fine Italian shoes on his K1200GT.
I've never worn a suit on a motorcycle. You'll occasionally see me in nice slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie (I keep a couple sport jackets at the office), but I'll always be wearing motorcycle specific boots. I keep a pair of plain black dress boots at the office in case I have to go to court or a meeting. If I have to wear a suit I just take the car. I just can't make myself expose a suit to road grime and bug guts! Particularly something as pricey as a Saville Row suit!:D

But who knows? If its good enough for this guy, then....

harley_weddinglg.jpg

A few years ago - on a particularly hot day I jumped on the bike with just helmet and gloves as protection. On the way home in mid drive time traffic I found out just how much protection dockers and a polo shirt offer at about 10mph. While I was picking scabs I read an article somewhere that said most bike accidents happen under 20mph and less than 2mi from home...

...Now, with the exception of armor pants on hot days - I wear everything - every day. Keep a spare pair of shoes at the office. Even though I only live 4 miles from work it's all through town. If I'm in too big a hurry to put on the gear - Like going to the "corner" store - I just take the cage.

Like the poster says - "Stupid Hurts".

Back