• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tires for a 2011 R1200GS

Nistech

It's time to replace the tires on my R1200GS and looking for some input. The bike came with Metzeler Tourance's. I have not complaints with these tires but there are many options and opinions out there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Well a good time to be confused, Pirelli is replacing the Tourance with the Tourance Next, Michelin just released the Anakee 3, Continental is updating their trail attack, If you rarely do dirt there is the Tourance EXP, etc.

Lots of choices and like oil threads, lots of opinions.

I do mainly back twisty road, at a spirited pace ( no chicken strips) and I was going with the trail attacks, until I saw the Anakee 3, so I have a new set in the barn, waiting for spring. I liked the sales propaganda on them, and liked the Anakee 2, so I hope the 3 is an improvement, as the company would never make them worse.................I hope.

Last edited:
It's time to replace the tires on my R1200GS and looking for some input. The bike came with Metzeler Tourance's. I have not complaints with these tires but there are many options and opinions out there, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

It might help if you provided some info on what sort of riding you do...

I liked the Tourance on my 2009 GS (classic model, not EXP) but my preference was finally for Dunlop TR91. That is for 85% road-15 % trail or so. It has very good grip, wet and dry, and lasts quite a bit more than the EXP, for instance. YMMV, of course. I guess you are going to get as many different tires as answers.

Primarily asphalt and 50% of the time 2-up. I take a couple runs from Minnesota to Dallas every year.

Primarily asphalt and 50% of the time 2-up. I take a couple runs from Minnesota to Dallas every year.

If mostly road, a set of Mich Pilot Road 3's are pretty sweet. They have the 19 for the front available. It gets a bit interesting in mud however:whistle

I also just got a set of Anakee 2's and a set of the new 3's, which look more street than the 2's. I am interested in the new 3's performance and will put them on soon.

P3 for me

I switched from Continentals to Michelin Pilots (2s and then 3s) for the last two sets of tires, or about 12,000 miles. I think the Michelins were a great improvement, especially in the rain. They don't try to follow pavement grooves. I don't ride off-road, so can't say how they are in mud or sand.

PR3 Trail up front, standard PR3 out back. Smooth, quiet ride, excellent performance in fast corners and in the rain. I'll probably get close to 10,000 miles out of the front, I doubt the rear will make it past 5,000.

Just put a set of Pilot Road 3 Trails on my 2011 GS. Leaving for a 7500 mile trip out west and will have a report later. They feel awesome and super quiet on the road.

I have the Anakee 3's on my GS and like them more than the original Tourances. I read that the Anakees's are a bit better than the Tourance's in the dirt and I wanted that option. But other than dirt roads I'm a pavement rider so I can't comment on off-road performance.

Check out the Adventure Rider forum if you want tire info for the GS......there's a zillion GS tire threads on there!

I have the Mich Pilot Road 3's. Love them, 99% road, 75% 2up riding, 6000 miles on them and they still look good. awesome in the rain also..:thumb

Back