• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Concept Ninety

From what I have seen, a younger crowd having a different kind of fun. If they can buy it, burn the tire off it and fix it themselves :thumb

Oh the times they are a changing. :dance

It's not my dad's Beemer, it's not your Beemer and it's not my Beemer.....................................

But BMW realizes we are all going to be gone in the foreseeable future and a newer generation has to be brought into the BMW fold.

And that's what it's all about! :dance

BMW's been pretty good about not mixing names. Go to the parts counter in the future ask for a part for your R90S! :doh

Huh?

Two versions of F650, one is a single, the other a twin. To further confuse things the old F650 was renamed the G650.
Hexhead and camhead bikes have the same name but several different parts.
The new wethead is a completely new bike that uses the same name.

It's already mixed up. You have to specify the year in addition to the model to get the proper part.

Huh?

Two versions of F650, one is a single, the other a twin. To further confuse things the old F650 was renamed the G650.

It's already mixed up. You have to specify the year in addition to the model to get the proper part.

Then there is the R100 not a slash, not a letter and many believe it didn't exist in the US including parts men. My first airhead was an adventure bike in so many ways.

Paint job on a wetheat R-1200-RT at Twistedthrottle last week. Yes this is not your fathers BMW company, and there is room for all...:bikes

Attachments

• Twisted Throttle Open House 004-1.jpg
    Twisted Throttle Open House 004-1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 98
Huh?

See, what do I know! I never made it out of 1978...at least they were still "pretty good" up that point?? However, in the grand scheme, going back to 1923, they have been true to unique numbering than not...I guess that is the point I was trying to make.

I'd sure hate to obfuscate the venerable R90S Airhead. That's my vote...anything else except R90S! :clap

What if they name it the R90S, I break my piggy bank and rob a bank so I can buy one then take the 90S markings off it; can I still post on the forum?

Better use an alias 'cause the cops will be looking for you! And don't mention anything about mustard! :stick

Constable, truly I know nothing of the churlish rogue you talk about. My name is Sancho.
I am on am on my way to the physician for more mustard allergy medicine then off to pick up my new motorcycle so I may give my donkey a rest.

Sancho%20Panza-S.jpg

Good fortune on your quest to capturer that bank robber villain Mika

Last edited:
BMW AG, what are you waiting for? There are many that believe the R90S is one of the best looking bikes of all time. We love the R90S. We want a R90S. Build us a retro looking boxer painted Daytona Orange with silver and red trim.

The Britts seem to be doing well with retro looking bikes. Why not BMW?

+1, Gunny; just let me know where I mail my down payment deposit check to, I want one!

I might prefer a 2 into 1...mika

Yes, the 2 into 2 is a bit busy.

Hopefully, BMW AG will put this bike on the show circuit, and generate some interest from younger buyers.

So here's the idea that's bouncing around in my head. I win the lotto, and commission Roland to build a cafe using the Concept 90 frame pieces, an HP2 Sport engine, a Remus 2 into 1 exhaust, and the usual Ohlin good stuff. We deepen the front fairing a bit, to soften the parabolic shape, extend the seat shell back a few inches, and paint it Midnight Blue.

Last edited:
Hopefully, BMW AG will put this bike on the show circuit, and generate some interest from younger buyers.

So here's the idea that's bouncing around in my head.

I have a headache.

My Roadster is back to basically stock condition. I have a box of parts for cafe and SM type setups. I see all sorts of ideas to steal from Sands' design, little things - more parts. More money. Do I play with the one I have or lord help me if BMW AG sells it do I buy a new one and start over?

Lotto ticket - I have to save to buy one so its off to work for me. (My holiday weekend starts Tuesday):laugh

I like the bike but really don't see it a 'retro'. Don't care for the valve cover design at all. Doesn't suit my taste enough for my money - but nicely done overall - as a new style.

I am one of these guys who are in the fortunate postion to be able to spend money on a new bike.
For this one, I am not going to open my wallet.
I have said this before elsewhere: It seems to me that all these new exciting concepts and bikes that get discussions and exposure laely are single seaters. What's up with that?
Is the focus market for these concepts and designs all these lone wolves who need to get away from home and satisfy their mid-life crisis longings of becoming a bad-ass biker?
I have three bikes in my stable that are single seaters and they get hardly ridden throughout the season. Just because I share the passion of riding motorcycles with my wife and she preferes to ride behind me, on one of our bikes, instead of one of her own (two) bikes.
Put a real seat on that thing and I may be looking at it.

Saddles are a very interesting discussion if you can move past ride height. The UJM bench had the advantage of being able to carry two people with ease. It allowed the solo rider to move about when you were touring giving seating alternatives that would allow you to pile up more miles. The down side was you weren't supported fore and aft when sport riding. Now we have many bikes with hybrid saddles that allow two up while limiting the movement of the rider. Too often they are the worst of both worlds. I have played with a GS Adv saddle on my Roadster. The thing is comfortable in many ways, has just enough shape to help with the sport riding but creates some aesthetic challenges.

I like Sands' design saddle and all. I can nit pic various things but I can do that with any bike. I prefer to ride solo so the saddle is not an issue. Bottom line (no pun intended) is it is a bike I would very much like to date but I am not certain I could live with it.

I like the bike but really don't see it a 'retro'. Don't care for the valve cover design at all. Doesn't suit my taste enough for my money - but nicely done overall - as a new style.

I agree with you, but I really would like a retro bike. Give me a new front end, updated brakes, engine/trans, and a Paralever rear end. Keep the old style fairing and give it a seat that can handle riding two up. Throw a slash 7 style tank between them and your good to go. The tank could be made of aluminum to help keep the weight down and a two into one exhaust would be a nice touch.

There is not really anything new here. Just an old school skin over boxer components already in production. The start up and tooling cost to BMW AG should be minimal.

VW presented the "new" Beetle a few years back and it was a great hit. Sales ensured that VW of North America was able to keep their doors open instead of pulling out of the US market. Ford's retro looking Mustang has been a good seller and Dodge has done well with their Challenger. GM's Camero is even popular, but I am still asking myself why. The market is full of retro cars because there is a demand. Good time for BMW to bring out a retro motorcycle.

I don't understand the issue about the designation. I'm pretty sure the parts folks would have no trouble if I tried to buy parts for a 2014 R90S. They're pretty sharp that way. It's hardly precedent setting either as MB, Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet have rebadged new versions of old models. I like the Charger, the Mustang, even the new Shelby, not so much the Camaro and I like the 2013/14 R90S, name and all. This opinion from a 3-BMW bike owner, the newest a 1989 and all three airheads. Sadly, none of them an R90S.
Doug

Back