• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Captain America" Easy Rider bike for sale at auction

The article says that, "it is the one used in the climactic scene". If that's the case it sure wouldn't look like this.

BN-EP390_bike2_E_20140918131452.jpg

You may recall how that film ended.

Attachments

• Easy Rider end.jpg
    Easy Rider end.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 310
According to the Vintagent:

"The 'Captain America' and 'Billy' bikes were the brainchild of 'Easy Rider' Associate Producer Cliff Vaughs, and the first pair (the 'hero' or 'A' bikes) were built by Ben Hardy in LA, while a second pair (the substitute or 'B' bikes) were built by mechanic Larry Marcus at his and Cliff Vaugh's house in Santa Monica. The full story of the origin of these remarkable motorcycle will appear in October in my book 'The Chopper: the Real Story' (published by Gestalten, who also published 'The Ride'), and it's a long, complicated, and controversial saga."

and

"The machine at auction was apparently built from the remains of the 'B' Captain America bike by Dan Haggerty, who was the 'chopper handler' for 'Easy Rider' after Associate Producer Cliff Vaughs, along with most of the initial crew on the film (including this bike's builder, Larry Marcus), was fired as Columbia Pictures took control of the film's budget and production. The 'B' bike was partially destroyed at the end of the film, and Haggerty apparently kept the parts. The remaining 3 film bikes were stolen before the end of production, and never recovered, although pieces of these bikes have circulated through the bike collector crowd (and the rumor mill) in the 46 years since the film was made."

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/20...campaign=Feed:+blogspot/oFCZO+(The+Vintagent)

Yes they do, and the story they tell about the "original" seems to match -at least loosely- what the Vintagent has said.
All in all, interesting stuff! Say what you want about any other motorcycle in the history of film, and/or American culture... but this bike is perhaps the single most iconic machine EVER.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to light.

Beale  Sreet 07-16-14 156.jpg
I have a real panhead chopper. It's as radical as the Captain America bike and looks a little more like the Billy bike. But This 2007? Superglide would be my Captain America bike of choice. "Get your motor runnin, get out on the hiway......" Born to be Wild" In my case Mild. :dance:laugh

View attachment 46955
I have a real panhead chopper. It's as radical as the Captain America bike and looks a little more like the Billy bike. But This 2007? Superglide would be my Captain America bike of choice. "Get your motor runnin, get out on the hiway......" Born to be Wild" In my case Mild. :dance:laugh

I saw one of these Superglides for sale this past weekend at the local BMW dealer... wonder what the HD was traded in on???

http://www.motohio.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=22654&pov=3891200

Yeah, I saw this HD at MotoOhio about a month back. Like the looks, retro. Looks like a bike to ride to Beale Sreet bike nite. I like bikes that look like the bikes of the 60's and 70's. I'm fortunate or not to own a '72 HD FL. Anyway that Superglide looks cool.

Back