• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K13GT Alternator Failure!

The XM antenna should not draw anything - it is not powered, there is only one single connector to the cradle, nothing to power.

The Zumo itself is the interface for the XM radio

Old school

I've left maps in my tank bag for months and they never messed with the battery....
Are our bikes getting too complicated? I like the Air Head motto "Simple By Design"
Glad your issue was resolved sounds like you have a great relationship with your dealer.

Yes, but is it possible that if there is problem with the cradle, that it is feeding that power to the XM? The 11 volts has to go somewhere...

There is a thread in the oilhead forum that discusses the Zumo 660 topic as well. One of the guys actually measured the current drain, before the Zumo 660 was installed, and after it was installed (powered off, both cradle only and Zumo on the cradle).
The powered off Zumo draws .84ma, the cradle alone draws .1 ma.

Everyone should be aware that your bike drains a small amount of power in the off state, due to the leakage in all the wonderfull electonic aids we all enjoy.

In the case documented in the oilhead forum, the addition of the Zumo added 33% to the bikes overall power off current drain.

There could be a probelm with the cradleif it is drawing that much.

I addition to the voltage and way you can check the actualcurrent draw?

Have you checked or posted on the Zumo Forums www.zumoforums.com; they are quite knowlegdeable.

We're headed out to CA this week for a new bike model intro. Once we get back, I'm going to contact Garmin directly and chat with them about it. Their customer service has been pretty good in the past.

In the meantime, picked up the bike on Sat. Everything is now wired through the CenTech, which is mounted under the seat in the previously empty spot reserved for the alarm system. The GPS and radar detector go through the switched fuses, and my CooCase power runs through the unswitched side. They wired my switched power into the outlet, so I have about a 45 second delay from the time I shut off the ignition until the GPS and radar detector power down. They even did this nice wiring harness for everything, so it looks very neat.

BTW, the yellow wire in the top right is the tap for my CooCase lights, just in case anyone's wondering...

DSC02203.JPG

Why?

GPS? XM radio? Radar Detector?

That's a lot of frustration and expense for limited gain.

How about riding for the sake of riding?

Leave all that stuff at home, except maybe a road map, and follow your front tire to wherever it leads you. Problem free touring. It's the way to go.

Why Not?

I like the technology and the gadgets and having the information they provide.

To each his own. Ride as you like

GPS? XM radio? Radar Detector?

That's a lot of frustration and expense for limited gain.

How about riding for the sake of riding?

Leave all that stuff at home, except maybe a road map, and follow your front tire to wherever it leads you. Problem free touring. It's the way to go.

Agreed. To each his own. Ride safe!

Whatever turns your wheels...

... as long as all these electronic gadgets don't distract from the task at hand.

Semper Fi: Did you ever change the air filter on your GT?

... Semper Fi: Did you ever change the air filter on your GT?

actually I did a few weeks ago when I was installing the auxilliary lights.

No big deal - take of the right side (Throttle) panel, unbolt the computer and remove the snorkle

... as long as all these electronic gadgets don't distract from the task at hand.

I agree completely...if you can't manage new technology without risking your safety, then you shouldn't use it. Of course, is that any different than sticking a map on your tank and trying to read it while riding?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back