• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Schulgleiter

AKsuited

I just thought this was cool:

<iframe width="994" height="559" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h5vtPkB1h3s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

I just thought this was cool:

<iframe width="994" height="559" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h5vtPkB1h3s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harry

For 40-yrs I've been promising myself I'll stop at the Glider Museum near Elmira......

Last edited:
For 40-yrs I've been promising myself I stop at the Glider Museum near Elmira......

I've been there a half dozen times or more - it's a little over an hour from my house. I like to watch gliders. They fly out of the airfield in Dansville, NY, as well.

Harry

My poker hobby has been locked down tight. My grandkids saw my RC planes hanging up in my basement and have been bugging me to fly, so I am back into flying RC. Helicopters are too complicated to fly so I'll stick with the fixed wing aircraft. I was nervous flying a new plane with a new, fancy radio, and the fact that I hadn't flown RC in twenty years. I managed to keep my new plane in one piece with nice, no-bound landings, so I haven't forgotten how to fly...

Harry

My poker hobby has been locked down tight. My grandkids saw my RC planes hanging up in my basement and have been bugging me to fly, so I am back into flying RC. Helicopters are too complicated to fly so I'll stick with the fixed wing aircraft. I was nervous flying a new plane with a new, fancy radio, and the fact that I hadn't flown RC in twenty years. I managed to keep my new plane in one piece with nice, no-bound landings, so I haven't forgotten how to fly...

Harry

According the wikipedia site for the Schweizer SGP 1.1, the brothers started out a model airplane club. After reading about the German glider, they descided to take on a larger model:)

That is a very basic glider for sure.

I've logged hundreds of flights with the Royal Canadian Air Cadets.in what are now considered old gliders but are a lot more modern than that. Mainly Schweizer models, the SGS 2-22 and SGS 2-33s which they still use. Gliding was always so much more fun for me than powered flight, just the wind noise and much more natural feeling. Haven't piloted anything though in 25 years.

how does one learn to fly something like this? Surely they don't just strap in and take off?

Also, how was it done in "the day"? Probably just strapped in and they shot you up with a bungie!

Back