• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS With Tire Monitoring - Worth It or Not?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Begun to think about updating my GPS to a Garmin 595 which has tire monitoring. Does anyone have any experience with this type of monitoring; positive or negative feedback?

As well, would my '87 K100RT or '98 R1100RT rims take steel valve stems which apparently is required for the tire monitoring?

Comments appreciated.

I personally feel TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is an invaluable safety feature and would have it in any bike. It has saved me from running on a deflating tire twice on my R1200GSA - once off-road and once at speed on an interstate. Being able to monitor tire pressure in real time lets me check for slow leaks and when you do find a piece of metal the hard way, gives you a critical alert so you can get off to the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

don't know of accuracy, but one could check as they use system, but if you notice something is now different it would be a valuable tool. I have a BMW nav 6 and have it displayed front and rear on bottom of screen.

don't know of accuracy, but one could check as they use system, but if you notice something is now different it would be a valuable tool. I have a BMW nav 6 and have it displayed front and rear on bottom of screen.

The NavVi doesn't have a TPMS. It simply reads the ECU. The model he's referring to requires sensors that are read by the 595.

Yes OP, it will be extremely helpful to have this system to serve as an early warning and monitoring device.

I have a Garmin 395 with the tpms on my wife's bike. They work as advertised as long as the batteries last.
The small watch type batteries are good for a year or so.

I have a Garmin 395 with TPMS on my R12RT and it works great. As @patm mentioned, the batteries are good for about a year. The batteries are not a commonly available part number, I bought a bunch of them from Amazon for a few bucks. They also use ANT technology which I heard Garmin is phasing out. According to their site, it only works with 590,595,390,395.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744

I have a Garmin 395 with TPMS on my R12RT and it works great. As @patm mentioned, the batteries are good for about a year. The batteries are not a commonly available part number, I bought a bunch of them from Amazon for a few bucks. They also use ANT technology which I heard Garmin is phasing out. According to their site, it only works with 590,595,390,395.

That's correct. I have a 396. No TPMS capability.

I now have a Garmin 595 and had planned on buying the tire monitoring caps later this year. Guess I need to buy the caps sooner rather than later if there's a hint of the At technology being phased out.

Thank you for the information. :thumb

Back