• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

Can't download new maps

Currently have a ticket in regarding the NAV VI. Issue is I purchased the North Africa and Middle East maps and it fails miserably attempting to download.

I think the Nav VI should perform as advertised. The marketing material played up the ability to stream music on a phone, and specifically talked about iOS and Android, with the ability to select playlists on an iPhone, but not on an Android phone.
I am in complete agreement here. As you say, it should work as advertised as this feature is headlined as a watershed feature that does not deliver.

Last edited:
I am in complete agreement here. As you say, it should work as advertised as this feature is headlined as a watershed feature that does not deliver.

I spoke with Garmin a couple of weeks ago. Was told a software upgrade is in the works to enable Garmin VI to function with IOS for audio streaming. They supposedly will send an email alert to those who have called or texted to report this problem. We will see.

BTW, I was given a phone number for BMW owners to call with any issues, in order to avoid a wait: 866-455-7012

Currently have a ticket in regarding the NAV VI. Issue is I purchased the North Africa and Middle East maps and it fails miserably attempting to download.

Are you using Express for the purchased maps? I had a bit of trouble there myself. Garmin Support is pretty good though so if you have a robust internet connection on your part, they will surely help if the issue is on their end. Those map files are humongous.

Nav VI and 2016 K1600 GTL

Hi folks. I have had the Nav Vi for a couple of months and it's been difficult to get information. The manual has virtually nothing on the apps. I cannot get the My Motorcycle app at all. Is it not available on the K1600?
It seems to me there is a lot of missing information.

Sadly you are correct, i too have been struggling to get the the NavVI working acceptably. The Media player function with the WonderWheel doesnt work, and i dont beleive the MyMotorcycle app is available for the K1600. I have resigned myself to the fact that Garmin felt pressure to release the product early before some of the functionality was really ready.
I know a few on the forum have tickets in with Garmin, so i am hoping that a software update is available in the near future.

I believe the MyMotorcycle app works on the new '18 K16, nothing prior. The Media doesn't work on the K16 because it has a built in stereo (or as an option) I read somewhere that 1 of the contacts on the back of the Nav can be covered before re-installing so it thinks its not in a K16, looking at it, right side 3 up from bottom IIRC. Not exactly sure which 1.

Map download issue resolved

Are you using Express for the purchased maps? I had a bit of trouble there myself. Garmin Support is pretty good though so if you have a robust internet connection on your part, they will surely help if the issue is on their end. Those map files are humongous.

It appears that the last update resolved the issue.

software update

Just got a software update notice from garmin. Took less than a minute to download the update and now the NAV VI will play music from my phone as it was advertised to do. Have not checked out all the features yet but just tested to see if it would play my music. Much happier now!

Just got a software update notice from garmin. Took less than a minute to download the update and now the NAV VI will play music from my phone as it was advertised to do. Have not checked out all the features yet but just tested to see if it would play my music. Much happier now!

Nice :thumb
om

It is v4.90.

Here are the details:
(looks like a good update of fixes and many will be pleased that they finally figured out address the problems that iOS was causing)
Nav-VI Garmin update v4.90 details 2017-11-27.jpg

Where to find the manual.

Found the manual. Not a lot of help.

I installed the latest update and the media player works, as in it shows the music. But I had a terrible time trying to select songs and getting them to play. All while riding down the road. Not good. It would play a few seconds of a song and skip to something else. Skip multiple songs. Couldn't select an album and play the whole thing. I am sure I am doing it wrong, but this shouldn't be this hard.

Frank

Last edited:
Navigator VI with FW 4.90 - continuing issues with Skipping, Shaping Points and recal

Hi all!

What 4.90 firmware did is fix one out of at least three "bugs" w.r.t. Skipping and Recalculating.

Thought I would post my recent experiences with the way the SatNav is behaving after 4.90. All of my "testing" has been in a car using the Car Adapter, but I've tried everything with it in "Motorcycle" mode, not "Automobile". Also, I realize that a lot of people probably use their SatNav to get simply from A to B, like a car installed navigation system, and that the issues I'm experiencing with SHAPING POINTS and AUTORECALCULATION may not be relevant for a lot of peeps. For those few who do use SHAPING POINTS (or want to) on the BMW Navigator VI with firmware 4.90, here is the "state of play" as I know it...

1) If you are taking the following route:

START SP1 SP2 SP3 WP1 SP4 SP5 SP6 WP2 SP7 SP8 SP9 END

Lets say you already passed SP1 when you chose to "skip waypoint". This will skip SP2, SP3, and WP1. Then will route you to SP4 continuing with SP5 and so on. If WP2 is then skipped, you will be recalculated to SP7. That would be the last you are able to skip. Before 4.90 it would take you from after SP1 to WP2, if you skipped. So this bug fix went in the right direction.

2) On "other" Garmin devices, lets say you already passed SP1 when you chose to "skip waypoint". This will skip SP2 and take you to SP3, and so on and so forth. Effectively allowing full control over skipping WAYPOINTS or SHAPING POINTS, either manually (by clicking the Skip button on the Map screen) or automatically by riding past the WAYPOINT or SHAPING POINT. The BMW Navigator VI with FW 4.90 does NOT do this.

3) Lastly, when the device is set to automatically "recalculate" when you go off your designed route, the following behavior occurs: If you're off your route after WP1 and somewhere past SP4, the device will keep trying to route you back to the shaping point you missed. So in my example above you will be returned to SP4 and have no choice in the matter. In other words, the device will only skip WAYPOINTS automatically or manually, not SHAPING POINTS.

The above is how the device actually works as it is currently programmed. I don't like this behavior at all. I have been corresponding with Garmin Support on this issue and they agree the current behavior of the "skip" function, and the "recalculate" function, are different than on "other" Garmin SatNav units. They are recommending Engineering take a look at it for possible repairs.

In the meantime, I will revert to ONLY using WAYPOINTS for the entire route so that I can (hopefully) control the skipping and recalculating behavior. (I have not tested that this will work correctly yet though.)

If anyone has any better suggestions or think I got it wrong above, please chime in.

Rokform iPhone Mount

(Previous bikes - too many to list)

Thanks for the update platypus.

For me, I partially like the idea of the system skipping shaping points as these are "theoretically" only designed to keep your route on specific roads and when I am skipping a specific destination, way point, (not the final destination) I may well wish to skip the previously intended shapeing points.

However, it would be nice to have the option. Says when you chose to "skip waypoint" it would be nice if the system would then ask if you wished to skip the shapeing point(s) as well and give you the ability to de-select individual one or all up to the next way point.

updating map

How do I set the Gamin device interface to Garmin or Host? Trying to update map and that's what its telling me to do.

Navigator VI software "bugs" after software update 4.90

In addition to my previous postings which describes:

1) Skipping Issues where you can't individually skip SHAPING POINTS (Only WAYPOINTS)
2) When you do "Skip" it ignores all SHAPING POINTS before the next WAYPOINT (and directs you to the first SHAPING POINT or WAYPOINT after the skipped next WAYPOINT, whichever comes first. (This happened BEFORE 4.90 as well but now in 4.90 the SHAPING POINTS AFTER the next skipped WAYPOINT are recognized.)
3) The "Automatically Skip WAYPOINTS" feature has stopped working. As a consequence, even missed SHAPING POINTS will not be automatically skipped AND cannot be manually skipped, so if you miss one, the Navigator VI will constantly try to redirect you back to the missed SHAPING POINT until the end of your trip if you are heading to the END with any SHAPING POINTS before the END (but after the last WAYPOINT). For missed WAYPOINTS you now have to manually click the SKIP button each time which is somewhat of a safety issue.

There are additional "bugs" as well in 4.90 that were not there before 4.90:

4) The Smart Link icon on the Home Page used to display in BLUE when connected to a mobile device with Smart Link installed. It now stays WHITE, even when connected.

5) The Smart Link functionality where you could search and find a location and send it to the Navigator VI no longer works. The location stays in "sending to the Garmin" mode on the mobile device and is never received by the Navigator VI. Before 4.90 locations would immediately appear on the Navigator VI after "sending" from a mobile device with Smart Link.

Those are just what I've found so far. I've logged tickets with Garmin Support on each of the above. If any of these issues are important to you as well, please go to myGarmin.com and go to Support and send them an email describing what I've said above or what it is you are experiencing on your devices. Unless they hear from us in multiple instances I don't think they will pay much attention to the issues for a long time, if ever. Seems to me issues one through three above are fundamental and basic navigation functions and whoever the product manager is at Garmin for the Navigator VI software should be fired. It should never have been released with these basic flaws.

(Again, if you don't design multi-WAYPOINT-multi-SHAPING POINT routes these issues may not affect you. My workaround right now is to ONLY use WAYPOINTS, however, that does not solve issue number 3) above.)

4) The Smart Link icon on the Home Page used to display in BLUE when connected to a mobile device with Smart Link installed. It now stays WHITE, even when connected.

5) The Smart Link functionality where you could search and find a location and send it to the Navigator VI no longer works. The location stays in "sending to the Garmin" mode on the mobile device and is never received by the Navigator VI. Before 4.90 locations would immediately appear on the Navigator VI after "sending" from a mobile device with Smart Link.
I never noticed the Smartphone Link icon in any color other than white on the main screen, but would like to see it in blue.

I recently tried the send location function and it never "arrived" on the GPS (I used to be able to send a destination from my iPhone while relaxing in the house and then later when I started up the bike, the Nav VI would power up and accept the destination. Now this feature is totally inop.

FWIW, I also tried the tracker app recently, sending a “here I am” message to myself. The message was successfully sent and received. However, when following the provided link, I just get a blank Garmin web page (regardless of browser - Safari, Firefox or Chrome). Garmin is already aware of this issue and just added my name to the case.

Contact myGarmin.com support and submit a request

Folks,

The Navigator VI with firmware update 4.90 has some serious new bugs regarding the basic navigation features of "Trip Planner" where skipping, shaping points and waypoints are involved. Please see my post above. I've registered cases on a number of those issues (they wouldn't accept the BLUE SmartLink issue as a "bug" saying it is a "Feature" - go figure). Here is their advice to us all:

Hello Platypus,

Absolutely you can view the case number below. If you know others who are having this issues I would encourage them to contact us so that we can add impact to the existing cases.

Smartphone link: PSC- XXXX
Skipping Waypoints: PSC-XXXX

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Christopher
Product Support - Auto OEM Team
Garmin International

I posted this under another thread. Anyone's NAV VI crash after newest update? I have two. One went totally bonkers and one is acting strange. Also I still get the must use bike when trying to access the media player. The dealer sent one back to Garmin the other I am waiting to see what happens. I can't find a way to undo the last backup. The dealer took the returned one on a ride and had the route planning problem.

Back