• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200R - fuel tank range

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
Unintentionally, I learned I could go 278 miles with 11 miles remaining showing on the screen (after a day of spirited riding and the average showing 45 mpg). I also learned the Sunday closing times of five general stores and village mini-marts with fuel pumps in the central Pennsylvania mountains.

Fred
'07 R

The best I've done on the R1200R was a bit over 54MPG.. the worst about 44MPG.

Fred - how many gallons did it take at 278 miles?

Fred - how many gallons did it take at 278 miles?
5.52 gallons. I confess I do not stop when the fuel reaches the red plastic; I keep on pumping and it takes quite a bit more - maybe another quart or half-gallon.

That calculates to 50 MPG, while the display said 45 MPG. Still, given the way I was riding, I'm not complaining either way. What a great machine!

Fred

5.52 gallons. I confess I do not stop when the fuel reaches the red plastic; I keep on pumping and it takes quite a bit more - maybe another quart or half-gallon.

That calculates to 50 MPG, while the display said 45 MPG. Still, given the way I was riding, I'm not complaining either way. What a great machine!

Fred
I don't think you're supposed to stop at the red plastic. There are vents built into the plastic thingie so the tank can be filled higher. I usually go about 1/4" up it before stopping filling.

And you're right - what a great machine!

I don't think you're supposed to stop at the red plastic.
Check page 71 of the owner's manual. I am bad and keep on pumping. I suppose it has the potential to overwhelm the charcoal canister, but I overfill only when I'm riding off immediately and for long enough to draw the fuel level down.

My ol' R1150R with a steel filler neck didn't like going past the bottom of the filler neck; fuel would shoot out if I went above it unless the pump was easily regulated to run slowly. The R1200R invites overfilling!

Fred
'07 R

Today the Roadster was as empty as it's been since I bought it new 17,000 miles ago in July. The computer said 16 miles of fuel remained in the tank, but I did not run out. I filled the tank, and it easily took 5.6 gallons. I thought 5 gallons was pushing it!

Fred
'07 R1200R
Fred - missed you yesterday (it was only a minor storm...) at Square Route. If you'd made it - we would have had 5 R1200R's there.. a regular gathering!

My last few tanks of gas (calculated, not indicated MPG):
49 MPG
48 MPG​
I'm not at all unhappy with those numbers..

Gas Station Hours

I don't know where in Central Pa you were riding but in Danville near the I-80 exit there are two gas stations with extended hours. Also, at the Bloomsburg (Buckhorn) exit there is a 24 truck stop.
Hope this info is useful.

Last edited:
Just got back from a 9 day trip following Rt 66 for three days and then into Colorado to ride some of the 10,000 ft or higher passes. Got over 50mpg on several occaisions when I bothered to check. No need to do hard math--go 200 miles and the fill up takes less than 4 gallons. Got 59mpg on one--suspect it was some sort of anomally or measurement error.

I have been riding back/forth from Vancouver, WA to Las Vegas, NV on a semi-regular basis and find I get between 42-45mpg depending on how I'm riding, usually close to the speed limit after several mishaps. I don't fill up past the red filler cap thingy..so I don't know how you get over 55mpg out of the bike...usually feel pretty lucky to get 200+ out of a tank full...will try to "top" off the tank next time & see if that works....59mpg...hmmm, real nice at $4.69/gallon

modest riding

When riding modestly on my r1200s, I've consistently gotten 50+mpg.

Just for clarification...your total range on one tank was 248 miles? What size tank does the R1200R have?

Thanks

Back