• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Knight Riderz LED brake light

T

tdomek

The recent thread about LED aux brake lights got me thinking.

I have wanted some kind of added brake light for my'04 R1150RT for some time. I saw a rectangular LED cluster at the West Bend National that I liked on another oilhead, but haven't been able to locate a vendor source. I have never been fond of Hyperlites; the cobby look and high price just turned me off. I saw the plug-and-play BMW aux brake light/licence plate combo at BMW of Daytona over Bike Week. It looked like it would satisfy my desires, until I saw the cost (!). DIY splicing and mounting don't deter me in the least, so I have sought better (read:cheaper) alternatives.

I saw a Knight Riderz LB02 http://www.cosmicleds.com/knightriderz/ on a tricked out Hey-you're-busted on Main Street Daytona Beach one night and thought it was cool but not sure I'd like the constant cycling back and forth. I just don't want to promote "target fixation" on my backside. Upon research I found them inexpensive ($27), readily available and in three flavors: sequencing, flashing, steady; flashing, steady; just steady.

Anyone out there have any experience with these little gems? The price is so low I may risk a purchase just on spec but thought I would seek input from our august and learned group.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Have you considered MotoElektik's ElectroPods? They are inexpensive, easy to mount and connect, and very good quality.

I have; same appearance issues as Hyperlites, and the constant blinking when brakes are applied is undesirable to me. I like the idea of the aux light to blink for a short time and then go steady, or just steady when the brakes are applied; still pondering that question...

Thanks for the input!

I have; same appearance issues as Hyperlites, and the constant blinking when brakes are applied is undesirable to me. I like the idea of the aux light to blink for a short time and then go steady, or just steady when the brakes are applied; still pondering that question...

Thanks for the input!

I know you dont like the Hyperlites, but you do know that you can make them stop flashing, right?

I bought mine @ www.superbrightleds.com -they are in St Louis and sell so many choices that the website will entertain you even if you don't buy anything. I have several of there items on my license plate area and around that location both tail and brake light wired. Cheapest place with most selection I have seen.:thumb

I bought mine @ www.superbrightleds.com -they are in St Louis and sell so many choices that the website will entertain you even if you don't buy anything. I have several of there items on my license plate area and around that location both tail and brake light wired. Cheapest place with most selection I have seen.:thumb

Stumbled on their site yesterday; you're right, lots of stuff and very reasonable prices. I am think of replacing LOTS of bulbs with LED's; on the bikes, the cage, even the cat... oh, wait; no bulbs on the cat...:D

Seems like the folks at BMW took some of the complaining about the lack of LED brake lights to heart.Serra BMW of Denver has a LED set up that works.BMW took the LED setup from their RTP bikes and made it workable with the RT.Just plug and play.Canbus compatabile.Mine should be here in the next few days and I'll post pictures.

Back