• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

xm weather radar help

B

beemergrl

Does anyone have live radar on their zumo 550. The XM people can't seem to give me the right package I need. I am looking for a live radar that will show rain approaching. What is this package on XM called. I have tried 4 times now with calls to XM and no luck. Thanks for the help.

:bikes

On my Zumo 550, I have XM Weather and XM Nav Traffic. The weather is minimal and does not show a weather map which seems to be what you are looking for. Weather information appears to be generated by local airports and is limited to stuff like a sun, a cloud etc. You also can see temps. in these areas. You will also receive weather alerts eg flooding. as well as a forecast for the next several days.

Other Garmin units do have weather mapping; the radar coverage you are wanting.

Yes, the folks are XM are not very knowledgeable about their special products.

Try here for more info www.zumoforums.com

Ron

Does anyone have live radar on their zumo 550. The XM people can't seem to give me the right package I need. I am looking for a live radar that will show rain approaching. What is this package on XM called. I have tried 4 times now with calls to XM and no luck. Thanks for the help.

I went through this too. Weather radar is NOT AVAILABLE on the Zumo.

The proper XM radar package for we motorcyclists is the "Fisherman" package.

There is a specific XM Weather listener care number 800-985-9200. It is not the same as the XM radio number as they have no idea what you are talking about most of the time. You have to ask for the specific package by name . With any luck you might even get somebody that speaks english you can understand.

FWIW the Garmin 376/476 series is outstanding for motorcycle use with the radar. It overlays real-time doppler radar onto the driving maps and gives a great warning of when to put on the rain gear or duck into a restaurant for coffee. You also get weather warnings flashing on the screen if necessary, which saved a major problem up a slot canyon in Arizona several years ago when it gave a flash flood warning.

CockpitView--2.jpg

I do not have it on my 550,but a friend does....it is a$100 a month subscription for aviation use...it shows a doppler radar shot. I found it somewhere on XM Weather info page last year

I do not have it on my 550,but a friend does....it is a$100 a month subscription for aviation use...it shows a doppler radar shot. I found it somewhere on XM Weather info page last year

The fisherman service is something like $35 per month plus the basic XM radio subscription. A lot of pilots I know use that and save the money.

Nope, radar weather is NOT available on the 550 -- only basic weather. Radar weather is only available on Garmin's Marine and Aviation products.

http://www8.garmin.com/xm/#compatibility

Thought I saw his on the Zumo when we were running from a T-Storm:dunno
...Now I think he had his I-Phone for the internet and his 550 had the regular XM Weather advisory on screen..I remember watching the color radar while standing next to his LT. Have been on boats with it....wish it was Zumo ready!
this was on XM's info site:
For planes, the XM WX service operates on multi-function displays, electronic flight bags, Tablet PCs and PDAs. Boaters can use the service on compatible chartplotters and marinized PCs. Check that your hardware vendor supports XM WX Satellite Weather capability.

Thought I saw his on the Zumo when we were running from a T-Storm:dunno
...Now I think he had his I-Phone for the internet and his 550 had the regular XM Weather advisory on screen..

I paid XM for a year of service for satellite weather before finding out it wouldn't run on the Zumo. XM wouldn't refund my $330 either. It's been applied to satellite radio subscriptions.

I paid XM for a year of service for satellite weather before finding out it wouldn't run on the Zumo. XM wouldn't refund my $330 either. It's been applied to satellite radio subscriptions.

You do realize that you can cancel that charge to your card? You have not received the service you paid for. You need to notify your card issuer in writing that you refused that charge. Hopefully you did not use a debit card.

You do realize that you can cancel that charge to your card? You have not received the service you paid for. You need to notify your card issuer in writing that you refused that charge. Hopefully you did not use a debit card.

Yeah, I know, I could have recovered it even with a debit card. Kinda late now. This story is two years old and the GXM 30 is still pulling in radio and basic weather.

Hopefully, there will be other options besides XM weather and traffic when the subscription runs out, because XM isn't getting another nickel from me. I really don't care about their radio offerings, but traffic and weather remain useful.

Zumo Weather Radar

Did you ever get live XM Weather radar into your on board Zumo? I want this, I need it for spring trip to Nevada.

Back