• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So what about the Mystic ??

Have been seriously thinking of going back to an air-head. @ this point just looking around. The Mystic is the newest/last version, so was wondering what the opinions of it are ?

I like the spoked wheels, I believe they are tubeless ? It can be configured / farkled as one pleases .....my idea would be a Mystic/CS ?? luggage ? several choices etc, and so-on. I'm just not really familiar with them. Are they as good ,better,worse then the older air-heads ?

Prices are consistent and not bad of the few I've found.........

Tom Cutter has indicated that the R100R Mystic is somewhat of an "orphan" in that many parts are not used on other models, so there is a chance that finding replacement parts will be a problem since the market for those parts is a smaller pool of bikes. I didn't see the definition for what "many parts" entailed. The Mystic is a cosmetic "do-over" for the basic R100R which might have a wider range of common parts.

I just picked up a 95 R100R Classic. Really like the brakes and handling on it. If you can find a 95 mystic it should have the tranny circlip on it, but you can fix it on an earlier bike. I've only put 600 miles on mine so far but really like it.

I just picked up a 95 R100R Classic. Really like the brakes and handling on it. If you can find a 95 mystic it should have the tranny circlip on it, but you can fix it on an earlier bike. I've only put 600 miles on mine so far but really like it.

Tranny circlip ?

Swimming against the tide here I know.......but I liked the mechanical drum brake. Poor mans ABS ......don't push the pedal so hard :)

Hi 20150916_180951.jpg I just scored a Mystic, and am thrilled. I love the styling. I'm going to deviate from stock a little to make it mine. I've owned a 91 R100 Classic, and 95 GS... The Mystic is smaller than the other airheads.....if you're tall, be prepared to lower the footpegs, etc. I'd say any of the post 91 R100s mono/paralevers are going to be similar in handling, reliability, etc... If you broaden your search to the R00Rs, you'll have better choices.... Ps. There used to be a Sweet Mystic FS in Chicago advertised on Pango here...

Think of the Mystic and R100R as an R100GS with a low left-side exhaust and a smaller front wheel and different instrument cluster. Just like the R80ST as compared to the R80G/S save for the exhaust part.

The only "rare parts" then, are the instrument cluster, the exhaust, and the front wheel and forks. Maybe a seat cowl. I'd check to see if front forks aren't same as RS or RT.

Save for the styling and ability to use full-size left saddlebag, there's not much advantage to an R100R over an R100GS.

The only "rare parts" then, are the instrument cluster, the exhaust, and the front wheel and forks. Maybe a seat cowl. I'd check to see if front forks aren't same as RS or RT.

After having some time to poke around the Mystic, I would say that Kent is correct about the different parts...here a couple of other observations:

In addition to a unique rear cowl, the Mystic has different side (battery) cover panels. Front and rear fenders also seem unique. All of the plastic body parts are still available, but non-painted.

The Mystic uses a K-bike type Z-style luggage rack, so in addition to the bags, that is different than the GS.

In addition to a different muffler, the 2 into 1 exhaust collector is slightly different than the GS (outlet angle), and not interchangeable.

The forks are Showas (41mm), not sure what other airhead models these came on...they are rumored to have issues with the chrome pitting and seals leaking more readily, but the seals are available. They come bootless, but I cleaned mine up and put GS rubbers on for protection. (mine had some light pitting on the upper fork legs above the seal interaction zone, but they cleaned up well with a blue scotchbrite pad and simichrome).

The dual brembos in front stop noticeably better than the single disk on my GS. Likewise the forks work well. Springs a little soft for my big "arse" but I intend to try them with 10 wt oil before swapping out the springs.

The seat is unique to the Mystic, different than the GS and other R's. It has a low stand over height and skimpy padding for your pillion...(mine was modified by the PO, and I am having it recovered and foam added to increase the height). Interesting, the seat is bolted down, no release latch, so keep a 5 mm hex wrench taped to the frame so you can access the tool kit. Also, mine came without a tool kit or box...there is a wimpy tool tray in the real cowl, not big enough to hold a standard roll...I have a GS tool box I will try to retrofit...

The bars seem unique to the Mystic...wider than the S-type euro bars, but lower/narrower than RT bars. I like them, but cut them down a half inch on each side.

Wire wheels are 17" in the rear and 18" in the front, so have to find tires that fit that combination of sizes...Mine has a 140 80R 17 Conti Go on the rear...never seen an airhead with clearance to run the 140s before...have not had the rear wheel off, but does not look like there is a spacer there...

So far, have not needed any parts I could not find or adapt.

Having fun with her...next steps are to replace oil pan and valve cover gaskets, leaky oil pressure sensor, etc. to try and clean up the under carrriage (the new neutral switch helped that a lot).

Good luck with your deliberations!

Like I said. :wave

Hence the "parts bin special" moniker....guess they ran out doll parts after the first production year!?:scratch (or else the sales department realized the marketing department misjudged demand for this strange beast) funny, there's a bunch of mystics for sale in the UK....were they more popular there than in the states?

Hence the "parts bin special" moniker....guess they ran out doll parts after the first production year!?

A "parts bin special" describes all Airheads, for sure.

What the Mystic is is a "run out" model, that is a last year model special designed to move the last of the breed off sales floors when everyone knows a new model is just a year away. Kind of like the R Nine T.

Real OEM indicates they were only produced in 1994, save for one month of 1995.

I've had mine about 1 year now. I was glad to find it. Low miles and garaged. Great handling and brakes. A really nice airhead. Good luck. Chunk.

Mystic-021.jpg

Back