• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

bike lifts?

What kind of bike lift do you have? Do you like it?
I had two of the Craftsman motorcycle jack things -- a standard one, and a low-profile one that I used for a cruiser I used to have. Both are useless with the RT, and now I'm considering getting one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I'm interested in hearing comments on them.

With a few exceptions, the postings are all about Harbor Freight lifts. I'm also interested in what is available and searched "lifts" last week. Not of much help as I don't buy from HF.

Why don't you like HF? I know some stuff is pure junk, but I can tell you the lifts are great. Mine was around $250 and gets a lot of hard use.

I've had mine for about a year now. Thing gets a work out. I store one of my bike on it. It gets a lot of up & down action because my bikes are stored in my woodshop. Each time I need to do woodworking, I pull all the bikes out. That means I drop the lift, pull the bike off, then roll the lift out to the driveway. Then at end of day, it all goes back in the shop.

Only drawback to it is that it takes 55 foot pumps to raise the deck to its highest setting. HF also makes a thing to roll the bike's front tyre into to hold the bike up. I don't use the vice-like gadget that came with the lift. I took it off and put this other thing on. Once bike is on lift, it stands on its own without a kickstand. Then use a couple of tie-downs to secure the bike before lifting it.

I would highly recommend the lift to non-proffessional users. I'm sure a motorcycle shop would need a better unit. For all the rest of us though. this HF lift should be great.

Handy Air Lift

Made in Marshalltown, Iowa

Great lift. Decent price for a lifetime piece of equipment. I use mine all the time. If lighting struck and melted it I would order another one tomorrow.

Why don't you like HF? I know some stuff is pure junk, but I can tell you the lifts are great. Mine was around $250 and gets a lot of hard use.

Aside from all of the cheap crap made off shore, last year we got an ad that was all over the honoring vets bandwagon. When asked what they were doing to honor/recognize vets (SWMBO is a retired 1SG), the answer was "well, (cough) nothing".

Lame.

I also have a Handy lift. It's been a great lift for the 8 years I've had it. Rock solid even with a heavy tour bike on it.

I had heard that they were going out of business - dunno if it actually happened or not.

edit: they'll be at the Dealer Expo in Indy next month so they must still be in business.

Aside from all of the cheap crap made off shore, last year we got an ad that was all over the honoring vets bandwagon. When asked what they were doing to honor/recognize vets (SWMBO is a retired 1SG), the answer was "well, (cough) nothing".

Lame.

Yeah, I understand. They do have a lot of cheap crap. This lift is not, but I understand. I don't rent from Blockbuster for similar reasons (I don't like the executive management). And I can't argue with buying American. I used to try to do that all the time and finally gave up.

lifts

I have the HF and it works great. it actually makes working/waxing the bike a real joy. Watch for coupons and it is greatly reduced. I think my was about $250.00. Foot pump model. Mine does not take 55 pumps. It takes alot fewer than that..

I also have a Handy lift. It's been a great lift for the 8 years I've had it. Rock solid even with a heavy tour bike on it.

I had heard that they were going out of business - dunno if it actually happened or not.

edit: they'll be at the Dealer Expo in Indy next month so they must still be in business.

Handy was bought buy another company and is still making lifts. The quality looks the same. I love mine.

I bought the Handy and sunk it to floor level in the garage, love the thing very good quality material and workmanship. Of course you get what you pay for and they are not cheap.

I bought my Handy Air Lift from a dealership that went under. It's a joy to use and I'll never wear it out.

I bought my Handy Lift in 2001 and have used it continuously for the past 10 years. Between my motorcycle and quad and friends motorcycles it has had quite a work out with no issues at all. It is easily moved around the shop after use so a car can be parked where I normally lift the bikes. I would buy again. Between this lift and the NoMar tire changer I have fun in the shop. This equipment has paid for itself over and over.

Lame.

I guess we should sell the BMWs get a Harley or Victory if someone is that worried about made in America. I'm sure that would probably create/keep more jobs (and keep cash in America) than the purchase of a Handi Lift (or BMW)!

Now before people get excited, I like to buy American when I can, but there are many instances where it does not make financial sense to me when there is a large discrepancy in cost. Adding up the costs of all the tools and toys I would like to maintain the bike could cost more than the price I paid for the bike!

FYI - I like my HF lift as well.

Any advice on which Handy lift to look at... accessories?

I'm not up on their current models. But, mine is the basic air lift, with 8" side extensions, and of course the wheel vice. The extensions mean I can ride on and back off astride the bike with a place to put my feet down. The wheel vice is essential.

I bought a "Viking Lift".. it looks like a Handy Lift.. I can't find the guy who built them anymore.. but still looking.

Anyway.. flawless.. with "extensions" it was only $600.. an air lift.

Back