• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gofers the new 2021 RT

Wethead

How many of you are going for the 2021 RT model and why?:blah

I am because I traded my perfectly good running 2018RT (my 4th one) for a 2019 Wing...and I miss the sheetatta my RT:sick

I am because I traded my perfectly good running 2018RT (my 4th one) for a 2019 Wing...and I miss the sheetatta my RT:sick

Waiting to see a 2021 R1250RT on the floor, available to purchase, wearing Brembo. 'Till then, I have my eye on several nice airheads on the market. Apples and oranges, but the latter may be had for <$10K, I can work on them myself, and I grew up on 'em.

Interesting. What didn't you like about the Wing?

I like the Wing and it is an excellent bike...especially to ride cross country....I guess I am getting older and want a lighter bike. Also, I deem both the Wing and the RT excellent rides; but basically, I just like the characteristics of the RT better.

Be that as it may, I would still say that riding from coast to coast: The Wing is best.

I spend Summers riding cross country, but then I spend the other 9 months riding in a city where the RT is a more fun bike...and, dont get me wrong, I can travel on the RT also that's not problem. I done Diego to NY several times on RT/s. I had four of them.

Nothing wrong with 2 bikes šŸ šŸ
OM

I just don't have that luxury. I am too busy to mind 2 bikes during the year, and I am too poor to maintain 2 of them, and I am too dumb to maintain them myself plus I wouldn't have time even if I could. I am a slave teacher...err, I mean, school teacher.

In BMW terms, my '18 RT is just getting broke-in. Right now I'm interested in reading about how the BMW Motorrad leaking brake, cam failure, and technology issues are working out. Also, just got another two-wheeler - a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 Eq. My aging legs need some help getting up these hills, and with news of the vaccine I'm beginning to plan a long RT trip.

May God bless school teachers, and first responders...

E.

Waiting to see a 2021 R1250RT on the floor, available to purchase, wearing Brembo. 'Till then, I have my eye on several nice airheads on the market. Apples and oranges, but the latter may be had for <$10K, I can work on them myself, and I grew up on 'em.

don't think you'll be able to purchase any new R1250RT (GS, etc), 2020 or 2021, with other than Brembo brakes on them. The stop sale bikes will be converted before a customer could buy them and the 2021s will come with them. The '21 RT has vastly improved electronics (TFT, etc.) and complete LED lighting. The 2020 is a bit more conservative with it's TFT/conventional instrument panel. If you're ok with that than it's the same bike as the 2021. You will, however, most likely get a better deal on a 2020 since they have to get them sold before they can really market the 2021s. Just my opinion

Not me. My 2019 R1250RT only has about 13,500 on it and I love it. I'm not chomping at the bit to get the 2021 for the new electronics, especially not until I hear how they are in the wild. But, I would love the have the adaptive LED headlight and LED high beams.

I think going from a 1200 wethead RT makes a lot more sense. The 1250 engine is one of the sweetest ever made for the street.

Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ā€˜21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ā€˜04 RT had. The ability to use the rear brake alone in low-speed maneuvers is very important to some users, which begs the question of whether the authority models will have fully integrated braking. Just a thought...

Best,
DeVern

Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ā€˜21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ā€˜04 RT had. The ability to use the rear brake alone in low-speed maneuvers is very important to some users, which begs the question of whether the authority models will have fully integrated braking. Just a thought...

Best,
DeVern

Spot on...

George R. Lambright
"it is easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"
Attributed to Mark Twain, but without any proof he ever said it.

Spot on...

George R. Lambright
"it is easier to fool people than to get them to admit they have been fooled"
Attributed to Mark Twain, but without any proof he ever said it.

Well, consider, if you need rear breaking to do 'control-drifting' around corners, you should probably be riding a Ninja or some other racing bike.
That kind of riding is too sophisticated to be done on an RT with bags, fairings, etc. Sportstouring bikes are typically a compromise of a fairly good handling bike for touring. Compromise that often leads to mediocrity. IE: the FJR is more of a sports than touring but neither, the Wing is more of a touring, the C14 is a rocket but by sports bike standard a pig to handle, just like the Wing.

I have never been able to understand why people hot-rod on Wings, K16, RT nor any other touring or otherwise bike not made for that purpose.

Speaking of the 2021 RT and brakes, one small point to note is that the ā€˜21 models come with fully integrated braking, like the ā€˜04 RT had.

I'm surprised to see that. I hope BMW does not start using fully integrated brakes on other models.
I'm used to using rear brake only for slow tight U turns.

I'm surprised to see that. I hope BMW does not start using fully integrated brakes on other models.

Didn't BMW add braking software so the bike wouldn't stand up in a corner, maybe it will help during slow maneuvers?

Precisely. Watch a motor officer training course and see how much the rear brake alone is used in low-speed tight maneuvers. And, itā€™s not just parking lot maneuvers. I can think of several campgrounds and resorts Iā€™ve ridden in and out of where steep gravel roads, wet surfaces, and similar issues created rear-brake-only spots.

The only electronics BMW could add to make this workable is an ā€œOFFā€ switch, which is pretty much what they did after the ā€˜04 RTs were panned over this issue.

Iā€™m wondering if this is a response to an EU safety regulation?

DeVern

I think we will need to wait and see just how well the integration was implemented. It's possible that BMW is using the lean angle and speed sensors to recognize low speed maneuvers, maybe even preventing application of the front brake at near-zero speeds.

Iā€™m really starting to miss the Honda SL125 I earned my enduro ā€œcā€ rating on.
OM

I think we will need to wait and see just how well the integration was implemented. It's possible that BMW is using the lean angle and speed sensors to recognize low speed maneuvers, maybe even preventing application of the front brake at near-zero speeds.

This ranks pretty high on the scale for the most frightening post of the week.

I can't wait until it just drives itself to the dealer when needed and they bill your account and it drives back. All reloaded, rebooted and latest recall fixed.

Back