• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gentlemanly Adventures

That's a lot of "Slab" through Virginia. Hwwy. 11 runs all the way through the State too. Take a little more time and see something!

that was a quick and dirty.... mainly to concentrate on something near Atlanta. i just plotted the route from Atlanta to Bloomsburg and then started dragging the route to some good roads through the southern Appalachians.

if you know of some good adventures through virginia.... don't be shy!

ian

I'd be interested in that route to PA. Where wll it be available?

http://bit.ly/dEafIj

The central feature of this route is the Williams River Road... a real nice dirt road that starts on the Highland Scenic Byway (WV150)

after the Williams River Road, the route takes you all the way to Marienville, PA via pavement... starting point of the GS Gypsy Tour.

nice views!

r80gs_1.jpg

Central and SE Oregon

Greetings,

Looking for these kinds of rides in central and SE Oregon. Will be passing thru in mid to late May, 2012.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Adventure riding heaven.

Greetings,

Looking these kinds of rides in central and SE Oregon. Will be passing thru in mid to late May, 2012.

Thanks.

you definitely want to spend some time in the Hells Canyon area.

I rode through on my way to Redmond in 2010, and a significant chunk of the main road through the area (FS39, aka Hells Canyon All-American Road Scenic Byway) was washed off the hill and into the river. This is no doubt fixed by now.

Hat Point is a great day-trip, but it does feature a campground with an impressive view of the Seven Devils on the Idaho side of the canyon, as well as a view of the Snake River.

Depending on your riding skills, check out the Hess Road, which will take you down to the Snake... and to where you can cross over into Idaho if you want.

West of that area there are several beautiful scenic byways, most all are paved. I rode the Blue Mountain Scenic Byway and found a number of fantastic camping locations along the way.

The Oregon Back Country Discovery Route is something to consider. Advanced skills required. Use a SPOT if you ride alone. I personally wouldn't ride this alone.

This ought to get you started...

Ian

The Seven Devils, as viewed from Hat Point.
960517363_7wAoG-L.jpg

The Snake River
960518962_QnsKD-L.jpg

Last edited:
My Scorecard arrived yesterday. I am excited to be involved in the ADVENTURE SUMMIT (2 pts. LOL) at the MOA!

As soon as I got my Scorecard, I loaded the River Breaks and a number of BS points into my GPSr and took off. By the time I got home I put 360 miles on my GSA and collected the first of two Adventure Detours and a number of BS Points.

I have ridden the River Breaks area a number of time. I highly recommend this this area to ride. It has nice road with some beautiful sights. There are a number of MO Conservation areas along the route that make a great place to stop and rest.

Here are a few pictures of the area along the River Breaks area:

P1020218.JPG

Pictures never catch the steepness of the hills.

View overlooking the Missouri River into Kansas.

P1020220.JPG

All dirt road's cut through the banks of the hill. These roads can be almost impassable after a rain. The "hard" route has a number of this roads.

P1020231.JPG

Also in the NW corner of MO are a lot of wind farms. The size of the windmills are deceiving.

In King City there are two blades on the ground to view. (There is a BS point very close by)

P1020248.JPG

When you see those wind mills keep there stats in mind:

Height: 262.5 ft
Rotor Diameter: 289 ft
Length of Blades: 139.5 ft
Weight of Each Blade: 14771 lbs
Weight of Rotor with Blade: 77541 lbs
Weight of Nacelle: 158821 lbs
Weight of Tower: 398971 lbs

For the history buff, in St. Joe there are a number of BS points to be found with lots of history.

Here is one of my favorites:

P1020195.JPG

One Hint: Jesse James house is not at the listed coords, in the middle of the airport. However it is not hard to find.

P1020200.JPG

I'm off to the races. I have been to the NW and NE corners of the MO FO. I have been to the NE before to see the soldier in the field. Some SOB vandalized it. It stood for over 80 years and then someone does that. What is wrong with people?

0cb84242-e6d0-bf91.jpg

For those going after the NE Corner tomorrow, approach from either the N or E. The area got rain and turned the no gravel roads to mud with bottomless pits.

Loved those NW Missouri Pics

It was great to see those pics. I grew up a bit north of there in Sioux City. Very similar country. I used to ride my mountain bike on back roads like that around Sioux City.

It also reminds me of one of my all time favorite movies: Paper Moon. Lots of great shots of dirt roads around the St. Joe area.

It was great to see those pics. I grew up a bit north of there in Sioux City. Very similar country. I used to ride my mountain bike on back roads like that around Sioux City.

We had an interesting Adventure Detour in this area, it was part of the GS Giant's Adventure Summit. Riders could get off I29 as the rode to the GS Gypsy Tour or the Rally in Sedalia.

Preparation Canyon sounds pretty cool... have you all ever ridden around there?

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1320151/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ian

We had an interesting Adventure Detour in this area, it was part of the GS Giant's Adventure Summit. Riders could get off I29 as the rode to the GS Gypsy Tour or the Rally in Sedalia.

Preparation Canyon sounds pretty cool... have you all ever ridden around there?

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1320151/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ian

Ian, are those Adventure Detours available online to download? At the Adventure Summit a lot of riders were talking about how good they were. I would like to download them all to save for future travel.

Eddie - yes, they're all on-line and all linked from your scorebook.

The Ride with GPS site that I linked to for the Preparation Canyon ride features an interface on the right with 3 tabs (Comments, Share and Export).

Choose the Export tab and you can download a GPX file.

Now... important to know, I use the Ride With GPS site mainly for people without GPS because you can see and print a map of the Adventure Detour.

If you look in the scorebook, you will also notice a set of links directly to GPS routes. If you click those you will download a zip file containing both a GDB and a GPX file for the Detour.

Ian

Back