• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R nine t classic off road

dimitri0411

hi I have a 2018 R nine T Classic. I wanted to start doing a bit of trail riding. What tires would you suggest. Also would you change bars etc

You could start looking at all the brands, does the Continental TKC 80 come 17", I've known guys to run rear tires front and back but you might not have room for that. Whey didn't you buy the Urban G/S?

hi I have a 2018 R nine T Classic. I wanted to start doing a bit of trail riding. What tires would you suggest. Also would you change bars etc

TKC 80 is probably your only decent trail option for a 17” front tyre. Take a look at Honda CB500X forums for 17” front tyre discussions (only up to the 2018 model, Honda put 19” fronts on the 2019- bikes).

I used to run TKC 80s on my old GS, they don’t last as long as street tyres, but do perform really well on trails and pavement.

I run DOT full knobbies on my 640 all the time, I have zero issues on pavement or dirt.

The Dunlop 908 rear is my favourite but probably not what you need.
IMG_0070-L.jpg

you could always trade it in

That is not necessary. I'm old enough to have enjoyed rideing a standard motorcycle not much different than yours all over back roads, dirt back roads with the stock street tires of the time. Adventure riding cliche had not yet been coined. No dual sport bikes existed.

My longest ride was from Vermont around New Foundlland. Camping on river banks (fewer bugs in the wind) 4000 miles with over 1000 dirt. (Honda CX500)

Enjoy your bike, don't let marketing and the "look" drive you to spend unnecessary money.

It is the rider and not the bike that makes the adventure.

Most of the 80/20 or 90/10 adv tires are really road tires with slightly more open tread...still worthless in mud and wet grass. Don't waste your money.

That is not necessary. I'm old enough to have enjoyed rideing a standard motorcycle not much different than yours all over back roads, dirt back roads with the stock street tires of the time. Adventure riding cliche had not yet been coined. No dual sport bikes existed.

My longest ride was from Vermont around New Foundlland. Camping on river banks (fewer bugs in the wind) 4000 miles with over 1000 dirt. (Honda CX500)

Enjoy your bike, don't let marketing and the "look" drive you to spend unnecessary money.

It is the rider and not the bike that makes the adventure.

Most of the 80/20 or 90/10 adv tires are really road tires with slightly more open tread...still worthless in mud and wet grass. Don't waste your money.

Somewhat to your point.........

https://turtlegarage.com/motorcycles/bmw-r69s-isdt-the-first-gs/

Examine the tread pattern of the Continental K112 and RB2 and compare those to a modern tire like a Michelin Pilot Road and become amazed at the difference. We have gone from tread that works on gravel and grass to slicks with a few rain grooves. So using a "sport touring" street tire today is not the same as way back then in the darker ages. Which argues for a more dual sport tire to do what the OP said he wondered about.

Regarding tread patterns ...

... a few years back we had a nice presentation from the Parts Unlimited Metzeler rep where he noted rubber compound is way more important than tread pattern for off-road tires. Methinks that much like farm tractor seat mimicking motorcycle seats, many off-road tires may mostly just look the part.

Examine the tread pattern of the Continental K112 and RB2 and compare those to a modern tire like a Michelin Pilot Road and become amazed at the difference. We have gone from tread that works on gravel and grass to slicks with a few rain grooves. So using a "sport touring" street tire today is not the same as way back then in the darker ages. Which argues for a more dual sport tire to do what the OP said he wondered about.

I fully agree. The TKC 80 is a great tire for dirt. I was/am disparaging the 90/10 80/20 tires when much better dirt tires are available that perform OK on pavement

PS I have Road Pilot 5s on my RS and routinely do dirt roads even an occasional Class 4 (not maintained by the state or town). Slowly of course and with some care. Not when wet!

Back