• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Good place to "stash" the spare key?

I just carry mine in my wallet. Has worked well so far.

That's fine...until their spouse comes home unexpectedly and you're flying out the bedroom window without your trousers! No trousers, NO WALLET...unless you're wearing it on a chain around your neck....just sayin'!:bolt:laugh

Corrected thanks to easy.

Last edited:
That's fine...until their spouse comes home unexpectedly and you're flying out the bedroom window without your trousers! No trousers, NO WALLET...unless you're wearing it on a chain around your next....just sayin'!:bolt:laugh

You'll be in even more trouble, if you wear it around your "next." :laugh

E.

Last edited:
Guys, Guys... please

...your confusing what goes in the wallet that goes on the next!

If your flying out the house window with anything like chains or zip-ties holding it on, your going to loose it. It will slip right off as the situation deteriorates!

You really want the spare key... duct taped to the upper right side of your ass cheek (if your right handed).

That way the key is available quickly allowing you to snatch and go.

I don't have keyless ignition on my '12 GTL. I keep a spare key in my jacket pocket. I don't ride without the jacket. When I'm riding on a longer tour with my brother, I give him an extra key and he gives me a spare fob for his bike. So far, so good.

I just carry a spare key on my truck/ house key ring in my pants. Since I never leave home without my house key, I always have a spare bike key in my pants under my gear.:dunno

My primary bike key is all by itself on a leather fob. Multiple keys in the ignition aren't the best thing for the lock/switch on a 34 year old bike. Key stays in the bike when in the garage.

:dance:dance:dance

All good information for fellow riders!

Just a reminder, this forum can be read by anyone as a Guest and the content of this forum is searchable on the Internet.

Try "stash spare key bmwmoa.org" on a browser.

/Guenther

Velcro wrist watch starp

Guys, I am not interested in carrying the key on my body. Not in my wallet, boots or in my jacket pocket. I am doing that now, but with wearing different jackets, too much crap in my wallet already, and simply not wanting to deal with it I am looking for options to hide it on the bike.

I once read somewhere a rider using a cheap Velcro wristwatch band with the spare key zip tied to it.

I'll add one comment. If you use a wire tie make sure it is a quality one. Cheap ones get brittle and fail in short order. Or use wire.

Just a reminder, this forum can be read by anyone as a Guest and the content of this forum is searchable on the Internet.

/Guenther

I know any things possible...but, I'd worry a lot more if this was a where do you stash your stash thread:laugh:laugh:laugh
:jose

I am shocked and surprised. Four pages of responses and they've, for the most part, stayed on topic! :thumb

Lots of good ideas here.

Trust that Henzilla guy to veer off into the weeds. (No pun intended!) :)

/Guenther

I am not very concerned. How many BMW's do you think a thief can look over and pop off side panels and such to find the one with the hidden key when there are motorcycles out there with the key in the ignition.

I ride with a guy that has a 2012 Harley Limited and his keys and key FOBs are still in the trunk, (Top case for the BMW impaired). The only time he has taken the keys out was to put new batteries in the FOBs, then right back in the trunk. Sitting outside a motel near you!:)

Spare Key location

Riding a 2018 R1200RT. I have the FOB and the plastic emergency key. I was thinking of hiding the key on the motorcycle somewhere. My best idea is to duct tape it under the licence plate. Any other ideas?
I've had mine on a loop of string secured inside my (break away) mirror 45K later still there.

Ok, I've been struggling to not include this CIA sponsored hiding place, but this last comment opened a door and now I can't resist:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/videos/cia-fake-scrotum

Wow. My first thought was, "A guy with two scrotums is going to raise questions." And on a female spy....

Then I watched the video and saw it was sort of an over-scrotum, which was intended to hold a not-so-very-miniature radio and now I'm thinking a set like that would be so big as to raise all sorts of other comments. No wonder the idea never made it into the field.

Have you ever wondered...

Will the spare key allow me to open the fuel cap door? If you've "lost" the FOB itself while out traveling, your likely to need some gas to get home!

This happened to me once upon a time when I didn't know "all the stuff" concerning the electronics on the newer bike.

Usually I wear the FOB on a lanyard around my neck. One morning it was swinging in my way while packing and breaking camp.
So I stuffed the device into the outer chest pocket of the riding jacket; NO... I didn't zip it
Geared up, started up, and off I ride southbound on the Ice Fields Parkway, away from Jasper.
About 50 miles south I decide to synch-up a little more around the neck area, rather chilly it was.
You likely realize what's coming.
I come over a hill, long straight ahead, nobody following or ahead... I reach up to adjust my jacket collar real good.
The lanyard latches on to the velcro at the jacket sleeve cuff without my knowledge.
I lower my hand toward the controls and simultaneously glimpse, and feel something extra... departing the journey!
Confirmed in the mirror view, the FOB and lanyard spinning and tumbling, oh the horror of first thinking I would loose it... as "it" flung off into the weeds.
A well executed and panic induced 180 racing back, had me momentarily hopeful... was that "it" up ahead in the road?
YES! And then... that horror thing again, over the rise came a fleet of motor vehicles. Equidistant to the FOB as I was.
As I lowered the kickstand on the opposite shoulder of the roadway, I noticed the yellow warning icon displayed on the instrument cluster...
some folks actually waved as they passed by.
They were riding a big commercial tour bus that finished off the FOB; this was especially painful...and in shock, I think I waived back!
I hurriedly collected the aftermath... "it" was no longer an operable Key FOB, no matter how closely I held the smashed array of mangled parts to the bike.

So there I stood; the bike running and now without a FOB, on a Sunday morning in a remote location far from home.
Wondering... Does that little spare key I have open that fuel latch?

I know the "rest of the story"... do you?

Last edited:
Back