• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

fuel line quick disconnect

Roger will this work on our bikes? I like that idea for draining the tank.

On my 04RT, if you want to drain with the same hose you used for return volume measurement you could build the hose with a female QD. To drain the tank you'd have to jumper the fuel pump relay which would then pump the tank down at about a gallon every two minutes that hose could connect to either the return from the fuel distributor or the high pressure output from the tank. Or you could make up a second hose with the male QD and let gravity do the work by connecting to the tank return line.

I think it's the same way on all R1150RTs.

In any case, you should always have at least three spare O-rings in a tiny zip-lock back within your tool kit.
Everything fails in time. Most of these premature failures were likely due to ham fisted owners forcing the quick-disconnect halves together and stressing them. I've read my share of threads will lots of curse words within them when doing so. They are an easy slip together set of items when using new O-rings.

Sometimes. But there is a definite problem with the material (plastic) used. It gets (is) brittle and cracks or crumbles. I've seen them a few years old that could be crumbled between a thumb and forefinger. Anybody is free to trust them if they choose but after a couple of those crumble issues I chose not to trust them. I don't even like the female ends but they do seem to be better than the skinny little male ends.

My mistake. I checked the drain hose I made, and I used the plastic male quick disconnect.
I went back and corrected my original post.

BTW, gravity flow will drain the tank pretty fast when you have the gas cap open.

I don't even like the female ends but they do seem to be better than the skinny little male ends.

The male end is the one that normally fails, but I replaced both on our K1200RSs.
On our K1300Ss I only replaced the male end. There has been some cracking problems around the fuel pump flange where the female end screws in, and thought it best not to mess with that area.

If you replace the plastic ones with metal, save the plastic QDs for making up drain hoses and attaching to fuel pressure gauges.

In any case, you should always have at least three spare O-rings in a tiny zip-lock back within your tool kit.
Everything fails in time. Most of these premature failures were likely due to ham fisted owners forcing the quick-disconnect halves together and stressing them. I've read my share of threads will lots of curse words within them when doing so. They are an easy slip together set of items when using new O-rings.

I have to agree with Paul and Lee on this one. And yes, everything does fail in time. But the failure of these plastic disconnects is not always "ham fisted" owners but actually due to the ozone breaking down the plastic and making it brittle and weak over time.

So unless you have somehow devised a way to keep your disconnects hermetically sealed it is just a matter of time before they break down. Metal ones are far superior.

But the failure of these plastic disconnects is not always "ham fisted" owners but actually due to the ozone breaking down the plastic and making it brittle and weak over time.

I never said it was always the case, but considering how many threads I've read since they started using those QDs of owners cursing to get them to connect, I have to wonder. When they curse, they tend to force things and many have, as I have once...till I started using new O-rings each time I took them apart.

Metal ones are far superior.

Since mine are still original on my 2003 and since they have been apart/together many times, maybe I should change them. Kind of strange that mine haven't crumbled yet; in fact they look like the day I bought the GSA new.

Can you supply the make and model of equivalent QDs in metal that are identical in size? I don't want them any bigger than the ones on my GSA.

Can you supply the make and model of equivalent QDs in metal that are identical in size? I don't want them any bigger than the ones on my GSA.

Here is what you need from Beemerboneyard. The metal QDs are made by CPC, the same company as the OEM ones. They're the correct size for your fuel line, come with the correct sleeve type clamps for fuel injection, and have the correct Viton o-ring.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Order online and use BMWMOA in the source code box for 10% discount.
The guys at the Boneyard are great to work with.
yhst-15102260216258_2241_2184003465

The metal QDs are made by CPC, the same company as the OEM ones.

Do you have the CPC part number for them so that I can check their dimensions on line. QDs that have been recommended on forums since the beginning of time have always been bulkier and longer, which is one reason why I never considered them. Plus I need the one for the cross-over (just noticed their other kit with 3 fitting for the GSA).

They're the correct size for your fuel line, come with the correct sleeve type clamps for fuel injection, and have the correct Viton o-ring.

I thought our fuel line ID is 6 mm. Those on the QDs are almost 8 mm (5/16"). The O-ring material is good. I'll probably use Oetiker ear clamps for the lines.

Let me check what CPC has listed.

Do you have the CPC part number for them so that I can check their dimensions on line. QDs that have been recommended on forums since the beginning of time have always been bulkier and longer, which is one reason why I never considered them. Plus I need the one for the cross-over (just noticed their other kit with 3 fitting for the GSA).

It's been a few years, seem like the length is the same and the outside diameter is a little larger.
Like I said, Beemerboneyard is great to work with. Give them a call or email and ask about your concerns.

Success!

I ordered the metal quick disconnect fittings from Beemer Boneyard last week. Today was the first day I had to work on the bike. I installed the new parts and I have no more leaks!:dance

I also ordered 2 dozen viton o rings for future use. They came in a nice zip lock bag so they should last a good long time. I will change the o rings every time I disconnect the fuel lines.

I examined the BWM QD that was leaking. It was a replacement for the original plastic QD and has a metal male and plastic female part. It did not come apart smoothly as it should so I assume it wasnt sealing properly and that is probably the reason for the leak.

I didn't know BB gave a MOA discount, will have to remember that for the future.

I had to get the bike back together so I can get my car back in my heated garage. I will try making a drain hose next spring when I dont mind leaving the car out in the snowy driveway.

Thanks for all the good tips.

Mark

Back