• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

fuel line quick disconnect

scootrp125x

They call me Gort
I replaced the male part of my fuel line quick disconnects in 2008. BMW only recommended replacing the male parts and now one of my disconnects is leaking. I cant tell if the female part or the o-ring is leaking. I would like to replace the entire assembly, both male and female. Does anyone know if auto part stores carry these kinds of parts in the all metal variety that I should have used in the first place? I dont know what BMW is selling these days and it will take a few days to order from Beemer Boneyard.

Thanks for any help. I tried to search the forum knowing there were other posts about this but the new forum format appears to have lost all of the previous informative posts.

Mark

If you used the old hose, it's possible that your new one isn't clamped tightly enough. I noticed that mine required a lot of clamping force when I replaced them, before replacing the hose. Not aware of auto parts availability. I don't think there's an o-ring on the female side.

The replacement fittings I bought from BMW 4 years ago have a metal male part and a plastic female part. The part that was leaking has a female part on the fuel line that comes directly from the tank. Now that I have disconnected everything and removed the tank there is no leak. I wonder if it could be the o-ring. I have an extra set of o-rings that must have come with the BMW replacement fittings. I will replace the o-rings, reinstall the tank and see if the fitting leaks again.

The clamps seem tight but I will check them again to make sure they are tight.

No luck at Napa, Advance and Pep Boys with replacement fittings.

If there is a local "Parker Store" in your area (usually part of the local Parker hydraulics distributor), they can order and sell you a set of nickle plated 100% brass disconnects. Be sure to tell them it is for fuel, and that the system pressure of 100 psi is well within the capability of the disconnects. Also ask for the set that has the line shutoff feature for both the make and female end.

You almost certainly have a leaking O ring. Each half of the disconnect has a shut-off so when disconnected fuel doesn't flow. When connected both shut-off mechanisms are pushed open. That leaves the O ring as the seal between the two parts. Since the leak seemed to be at the female side, and once disconnected it stopped, that screams O ring.

The O ring is the small one around the tip of the male side.

You almost certainly have a leaking O ring. Each half of the disconnect has a shut-off so when disconnected fuel doesn't flow. When connected both shut-off mechanisms are pushed open. That leaves the O ring as the seal between the two parts. Since the leak seemed to be at the female side, and once disconnected it stopped, that screams O ring.

The O ring is the small one around the tip of the male side.

Thanks Paul. I spoke to my BMW dealer parts guy and he says they change the o ring every time they disconnect the halves.

That will be my project for tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it comes out. Would you put any oil or vaseline on the o ring? I seem to remember that advice in the past about the QD o rings.

Thanks

I installed new o rings on both quick disconnects. The one that leaked was still leaking.

I ordered a new set of the all metal version from Beemer Boneyard.

I installed new o rings on both quick disconnects. The one that leaked was still leaking.

I ordered a new set of the all metal version from Beemer Boneyard.

I bet your problem will be solved with the QDs from Beemerboneyard. I installed the metal QDs from them on our K1200RSs and never had a leak.
If you need extra Viton o-rings let me know. I have extras I can mail you free.
Send a PM if you need the o-rings.

What size and material are the O-Rings? Off topic. which icon is a spell check when posting a reply, things have changed

Just replace the O-rings every time you disconnect the quick-disconnects. I do, and never have the much talked about issue of trying to mate the quick-disconnects which is due to the O-ring swelling over time.

My so-called "junk BMW quick disconnects" are now in their 9th year and not leaking or broken.

You can get AS568A-011 O-rings at any bearing and seal shop. A pack of 20 ran me just over $3 a few years ago.

What size and material are the O-Rings?

I don't remember the size. The ones I have and the ones Beemerboneyard sell are Viton, so swelling from the gas is not a problem..
I looked up the QDs on Beemerboneyard and the QD for the K1200RS and R1150 is 5/16" They don't mention the o-ring size.

Last edited:
You can get AS568A-011 O-rings at any bearing and seal shop. A pack of 20 ran me just over $3 a few years ago.

Don't forget to ask for Viton. Gas will make the regular o-rings swell.

GlobalRider said:
My so-called "junk BMW quick disconnects" are now in their 9th year and not leaking or broken.

You're on borrowed time.
One of theses days you'll have to do the repair on the side of the road. Most of the time the leak will turn your silver engine cases yellow and you also have a chance of fire.

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget to ask for Viton. Gas will make the regular o-rings swell.

In any case, you should always have at least three spare O-rings in a tiny zip-lock bag within your tool kit.

You're on borrowed time. One of theses days you'll have to do the repair on the side of the road.

Everything fails in time. Most of these premature failures were likely due to ham fisted owners forcing the quick-disconnect halves together and stressing them. I've read my share of threads will lots of curse words within them when doing so. They are an easy slip together set of items when using new O-rings.

Last edited:
In any case, you should always have at least three spare O-rings in a tiny zip-lock back within your tool kit.

True, I carry spares for our K1300Ss and also have some along for a K1200RS since we have friends with K1200RS/GTs.

GlobalRider said:
Most of these premature failures were likely due to ham fisted owners forcing the quick-disconnect halves together and stressing them.

Not in my case.

Not in my case.

I'll see how long I can get it to last, but I will add them as spares to my list. Sort of like my car battery that is now in its 14th year. I know I can just get a new one, but now I have to have it break my old battery endurance record of 16 years. Hey, it still cranks on the coldest of our mornings up here. :dance

Other spares that I carry along with those O-rings in a small 60 ml Nalgene jar is an oil level sight glass and an oil filler cap.

Other spares that I carry along with those O-rings in a small 60 ml Nalgene jar is an oil level sight glass and an oil filler cap.

I love carrying spares, it should guarantee never having to use them and I will have one for someone else if they need it. I have a spare oil sight glass and a spare valve for my tire. I also keep my original BMW fuel line quick disconnects in case of an emergency for myself or other riders. I will add o rings to the spares inventory.

I also keep my original BMW fuel line quick disconnects in case of an emergency for myself or other riders.

I used one of my male OEM QDs to make an easy and fast way to drain our tanks.
I don't know where the QDs are on a boxer, but on our K1200RSs, this setup worked good for draining the tank.

IMG_0095.jpg

Last edited:
I used one of my female OEM QDs to make an easy and fast way to drain our tanks.
I don't know where the QDs are on a boxer, but on our K1200RSs, this setup worked good for draining the tank.

IMG_0095.jpg

On the R1150RT, a couple feet of hose attached to a female QD, connected to the return line coming from the regulator back to the tank makes a superb diagnostic tool.

When setup that way, with the bike running at idle, you should get about 2 quarts per 60 seconds. If you do, the pump, filter and in-tank hoses are highly likely to be working as designed. Much more than that and the fuel pressure regulator might be open, much less than 2 quarts and the pump, filter or hoses would be suspect.

fuelfix11.JPG

I used one of my female OEM QDs to make an easy and fast way to drain our tanks.

Roger will this work on our bikes? I like that idea for draining the tank.

Back