• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

cable lock - Trelock

kstoo

Huckleberry, Gilera &Toad
I found a locking cable in the frame spine of a recent purchase. I thought that these were an optional accessory but I can't find any hints in any microfiche. I searched the BMWMOA forum but nothing comes up. I need a key. Do you have any idea where I might find one? It says 'Trelock' on the cylinder but there is no number or any ID. Did Trelock make these for BMW? Google confirms that Trelock makes bicycle accessories including locks. Got any clues?

:scratch

:update
found the cable lock at Motobins. They might know ...?

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Check the Resources and Links thread in the forum. There are a couple of entries for Keys.

My key for that cable lock is a Star key with the number 5MA5 on one side; on the other side is a small circle with "MIO" and "92N" underneath it...that could be "M10" as in digits...hard to tell.

I've had a couple of these locks. My current lock has key number M11424. The two locks had different key patterns and well as cuts. My previous lock's key was thinner if my memory services me right.

I had the same problem with the cable lock I found under my seat. I tried for a long time to get a key made. Turns out it was less expensive to just purchase a new cable lock from Motobins then try to get a key made. I sold the lock with a blank key at a flea market for $10.

I had the same problem with the cable lock I found under my seat. I tried for a long time to get a key made. Turns out it was less expensive to just purchase a new cable lock from Motobins then try to get a key made. I sold the lock with a blank key at a flea market for $10.

I was afraid that you were going to say that.
18 pounds is about $28 right now. I guess I'll put it next to my tire pump as another cool thing that doesn't work.

I guess I'll put it next to my tire pump as another cool thing that doesn't work.:thumb

:thumb :thumb :thumb

My $.02US [0.0129410 GBP]. Half the time the moron trying to steal anything secured with a cable lock will damage the item being protected. Especially if he gets really pi$$ed off at it in the attempt; e.g. if I can't haveit, neither can you!

A bic pen might be used to open it as well - there was a big to do over pens opening U locks a couple yrs. ago - Who steals BMW bikes but F 650 / F800 GS only

Thanks for the good responses. The more that I think about it the value of this device is just having it and NOT using it. Don't really need the key. Just pop the seat up and say "look, I have the original folding cable lock." One up.

I had a couple of those cable locks layin around. One with just one key the other with no keys. Took em down to a lock smith and he made a spare key for the one with a key and made 2 new keys for the one with no keys. That was probably 10 years ago and I havn't used either one. Which leads to this story. I was down at Daytona bike week about 20 years ago. Rode into the enfield and come to a stop behind a couple on a BMW. Something didn't look right on that bike as they mounted and started to ride off. I yelled at the top of my lungs for them to stop. To late, they had run chain thru the wheel and frame and forgot about it. The chain did quite a bit of damage to the bike and broke off the back fender. Sad to see that happen, I know they felt like shxx , well bad anyway.

Thanks for the good responses. The more that I think about it the value of this device is just having it and NOT using it. Don't really need the key. Just pop the seat up and say "look, I have the original folding cable lock." One up.

and, the factory air pump...:D

Speaking of things left in the frame backbone tube,I sold my 84 R100RT when I bought my K beast and left spare cables and the package one could buy back then for that purpose ,for the next lucky owner to find.Paid it forward,I did.

Back